Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Magic bullet grinding
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Magic bullet...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Pepperoni11

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vintage Gaggia
Grinder: Hario, Espresso extractor
Drip: Bee house pour-over
Roaster: Gene cafe
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 4:04am
Subject: Magic bullet grinding

Has anyone ever used the MagicBullet or Nutribullet to grind espresso? I was recently in a bind as my grinder broke and I hadn't purchased a new grinder yet so I tried an old Cuisinart burr grinder which was horrible at grinding fine for espresso. I then picked up the Hario skerton and still wasn't enough to grind right for my Gaggia. So I had an idea when I saw my MagicBullet and I decided to give it a try and we'll in 20 seconds of using it I used the grind and Presto! My Gaggia machine was making great espresso! I couldn't believe it I never thought a blade grinder could do that and it does it very well. The grind was so even and tamped perfect when the espresso is done I get the nice tiger stripe everytime. I was wondering if anyone else has ever used this. I know it's unconventional and I am still going to purchase a nice grinder but in a pinch I really see nothing wrong with it. Any comments on this would be great. I am just interested in seeing if anyone else has had success with it. Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 5:43am
Subject: Re: Magic bullet grinding

The issue usually with blade grinders is not in their ability to go fine enough, but moreso with their consistency and reliability. With the way a blade grinder functions the particle distribution size is usually quite wide when compared to a burr grinder legitimately meant for espresso. Glad it worked out for you though. I remember traveling across the country and finding a person who used an ibrik to boil water for tea. I told them all about Turkish coffee and ended up having to grind some coffee with a mortar and pestle for it. You do what you have to sometimes.
Pepperoni11

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 7:20am

I completely agree with what you said with the consistency about a blade grinder because when I first started using an espresso machine at home all I had was a old blade grinder and it was awful. I just used the MagicBullet on a whim and I personally think it worked because the way the blade works is it makes sort of a whirlpool action and when it's grinding the beans it shifts the beans from side to side and makes a nice pattern and I think it's pretty consistent through every spec of grounds I can see lol completely even and your right if it works then why my use it. I just wanted to know if anyone else as tried it with success. I find if you go more then 20 seconds it gets way to fine and u can't use it. It has to be 20 seconds or less and that is kind of a pain to keep watching what the grind looks like but from my experience it does work well. Thanks for your input I agree with you 100%
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 7:37am

I see your profile says you have a Hario grinder.  How does the magic bullet compare to that is the real question I guess.

Typically you want a uniformity in grind particle size for espresso that just can't be created with something like a whirly blade grinder.  There are 2 ways to handle espresso from coffee like that: use a pressurized portafilter - it works for sub-par espresso; old lever machines can also sometimes handle pre-ground and blade ground coffee with alot of attention.

The general problem with the mixed particle size I think is the espresso flavor becomes "muddied".  It's not as clean in flavor.  While this can work for milk drinks okay you might have better results from a Hario.

Then again, if you like it then that's what counts!
Pepperoni11

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 9:27am

Well the Hario didn't work well with my Gaggia machine it was too coarse for it. I put the setting for the hario on the lowest it could go without rubbing it and it still didn't do the job. I have read on other sites that people have had success using it with the Gaggia machines but my Gaggia is an old model from the early 90s. Still going strong though. For whatever reason it just doesn't do the job I get bad channeling from it. I use the hario for my pour over more or less. I really can't complain with the MagicBullet. I have been using it for 2 weeks everyday for my morning espresso and it just works so well for me and I have the 58 mm non-pressurized portafilter. I really think that the way the MagicBullet grinds the beans just works. It has sort of a wave action to it. When I look from above when it's grinding the middle of the bullet just pushes the grounds to the sides on an even distribution and I wonder if that's why it works. Like I said I ha a regular coffee blade grinder and it was awful but the MagicBullet works for me. It's a pain with the aspect of having to stop and look at the grounds to see if they are fine enough but other then taking a minute or two to keep checking all and all I am pretty impressed with it. For someone not wanting to spend a lot on a grinder I would recommend trying it out. I have seen them online for around 50 bucks.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 12:02pm

I've got a Bullet, don't really use it as I have an Ninja 1100 PRO in the kitchen so was curious and tried it with 3 shots, was pretty bad lol. Not even remotely close to my Preciso, tried 20 seconds,  tried just under and just over and with the bottomless it was gushing and spraying everywhere lol. I mean it made a shot,  a pretty nasty one though and none were drinkable. Not sure how your old Gaggia pulls good shots with it? I've got a Hario Slim too, not sure why yours is too coarse. I use it for traveling but it can easily choke out my machine and grind for Turkish. Without modding to be step-less though doesn't work well for a normal 1.5-2.0 oz shot, can pull a ristretto ok, but pain to get anything larger compensating with dose with the wide spacing of the clicks. Kicks ass for drip though when traveling
bossman

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 1:02pm

Haha I just tried it too, nothing even remotely close to a drinkable shot and anything that came out made a nice mess too.  Either you're pulling our leg or you got extremely lucky that the one grind it produces works well with your machine. :P
Pepperoni11

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 1:14pm

I guess I got lucky with my machine. I have an old gaggia machine it's from the early 1990's it's pretty heavy and durable. I use it everyday and maintain it pretty well. It's even going strong for years now and I have a 58 mm non-pressurized portafilter so maybe with a bottomless it's a no go. I don't know, it took me a couple days to get the extraction just right. First couple times I used it I had my grounds too fine. Next time it was too course so I just kept checking it until I got a good consistency. I usually can he it just right by listening to the MagicBullet grinding the beans. I actually watched a video online of a guy using it too and he says it takes 30-40 seconds but mine was way too fine when I did that. I usually grind it for 10 seconds until I see the grounds making a wave motion and then I stop it and knock all the grounds on the sides and then I do it for maybe another 10 seconds or so and that's it. It works or me I guess. No pulling any legs here. I have a Delonghi ec155 too that I have packed away but I do have a bottomless portafilter. I will try and use it with the MagicBullet and see if it works. Sorry it didn't work for ya. Guess it's my machine lol.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:43am

A blade grinder is a blade grinder regardless of "whirlpool action" or not.  If you're getting acceptable results it's because of your palate and not the grinder.  Nothing wrong with that.  If you like it that's all that matters.
cxmudandrocknroll

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta
Grinder: HG-ONE, Krups GX610050,...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Heart Roasters
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 4:49pm

takeshi Said:

A blade grinder is a blade grinder regardless of "whirlpool action" or not.  If you're getting acceptable results it's because of your palate and not the grinder.  Nothing wrong with that.  If you like it that's all that matters.

Posted March 27, 2014 link

true...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Magic bullet...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266535997391)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+