Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
not oily beans to prevent grinder unit clogging
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > not oily beans...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
alicia454

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 3:45am
Subject: not oily beans to prevent grinder unit clogging

I just picked up a cheap Saeco Odea Go Plus on sale to feed my espresso addiction at home.

This fully automated machine has a built-in grinder, and based on my research people are advising to only use "dry" beans, since the oily beans seem to clog up the grinder unit.

But as a total newbie who never made espresso before, I have no idea which whole beans to get, and how to determine how oily or dry they are.  Any recommendations please?  I like a strong espresso with a good caffeine hit, and not too bitter.   Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 5:02am
Subject: Re: not oily beans to prevent grinder unit clogging

Most of the quality roasters don't roast their espresso beans dark enough to make them oily.  I can tell you from experience the espresso blends from Fair Mountain, Metropolis (Redline) and Redbird are not dark and oily.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 5:32am

You want to stay more around a medium roast for a superauto to a little darker, any more and the beans start to show oil and will gum up the internals. However don't take this the wrong way, but that Saeco or really any superauto doesn't make espresso, sure there's an espresso option and it will pull into a small shot glass, it just won't taste good at all, just inherent to the superauto design. Even a $3k Monza superauto makes poor espresso vs a cheap semi-auto setup. If you use a superauto better to stick to the larger drink options and milk based than espresso.

Seems you really like espresso, you'd be far better off returning that machine and picking up an semi-auto and separate grinder.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 6:58am

+1, and +1 on the above replies you've gotten thus far.

regarding whether you should stick with the super-auto or get separates that give you total control, as Chris suggested...do you like the coffees from *$$ and McD's? They both use very high end superautos, so other than not having the charred ash taste from *$$, you're not going to be able to match thier "quality" (for lack of a better word)...unless you take Chris' advice and get separates (which will allow you to far surpass the drinks you'd buy at those places - and most others to be honest). The downside is that once you get even pretty decent at making your own at home, you have trouble finding anything drinkable when away from home.  It's a little more work, and there's a learning curve, but it's certainly something that anyone can learn to do...and in my opinion, very, very well worth the effort.  If you cook your own food, especially if you make at least some things from scratch, you'll appreciate the quality and find it worthwhile as well.

Regarding telling if beans are oily or dry, it's pretty darn easy.  Beans that are oily have a very shiny surface and are slippery in the hand, while dry beans have a very dull surface. Also, oily beans are very dark in color, almost black, while non-oily beans are clearly brown.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
cxmudandrocknroll

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta
Grinder: HG-ONE, Krups GX610050,...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Heart Roasters
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 4:55pm

you can try heartroasters.com
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 5:08pm

Redbird is a good choice and well liked by folks here. If you want to get a pretty good deal, you can buy a five pounder for about $53 including shipping and freeze it in increments of about 1/2 or 3/4 lb. and liberate from your freezer to feed your espresso desires over a good while. Just make sure the container is completely defrosted before putting it into the machine.

Sky

When and if you decide to "improve" your espresso just let us know. The good Lord knows there are plenty of folks here who can give you the benefit of their experience. I have learned virtually everything I know from this site.
alicia454

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 6:52pm

Thank you for everyone's helpful tips on the type of beans to get.

I wonder if my Saeco Odea Go Plus will make espresso any better than my previous method using a stovetop moka pot, using preground espresso coffee.

I also wonder how it the Saeco Odea Go Plus will do in making cappuccino's, compare to those from StarBucks which I also enjoy.

BTW, I purchased lots of jugs of distilled water for it, to avoid hard tap water taste and scaling.

I purchased my machine online for $150, which seemed like a reasonable price, and thought that an automated unit would be ideal for my busy morning routine.  However, I did not expect it to be so huge, bigger than my vacuum cleaner, and I am now also worried that the quality will also disappoint.  It is going to be a real pain to return.
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:16pm

I would bet your super-auto would make better coffee just based on the principle of using freshly ground coffee. Of course, stale coffee ground to order likely won't outdo stale pre-ground by much.

I bought my Vario just to use with my moka pot to save time hand grinding; I didn't purchase an espresso machines till 3 months later after extensive research. Freshly ground quality coffee is the first step towards making good coffee for every method of coffee making; unless you want to see your inlaws squirm or something. :3
alicia454

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 12:09am

SproBro Said:

I would bet your super-auto would make better coffee just based on the principle of using freshly ground coffee. Of course, stale coffee ground to order likely won't outdo stale pre-ground by much. :3

Posted March 27, 2014 link

I would have assumed that the 15bar pressure in the Saeco Odea Go Plus would extract more coffee flavour than my old moka pot.

Still I wish I did more research before spending money on this machine.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 6:03am

alicia454 Said:

I would have assumed that the 15bar pressure in the Saeco Odea Go Plus would extract more coffee flavour than my old moka pot.

Still I wish I did more research before spending money on this machine.

Posted March 28, 2014 link

15 bar is just a marketing gimmick, won't brew at that. I think the problem is if you really like espresso at good shops etc, yeh you'll be disappointed as even a super auto costing thousands pales against a cheap semi-auto and separate grinder. Even a $10k+ commercial one can't compete with a setup costing under a grand. Have a friend that had a Jura C9 and thought the coffee was barely passable and that was almost 2 grand. Superautos just can't make espresso, they have poor grinders built in, they don't tamp right, and their doses for grounds and water for a shot are out of wack, and they don't hit the right temps or temp stability. Why "espresso" option on them ends up being more like a gushing channeling pour in 15 seconds. Their all about convenience which some people want and not care of the coffee quality, just push a button and your off. But even if you like milk based drinks a semi-auto will be far better as well. If you want to keep the machine though your better off sticking with the larger cup options and milk drink options on it, but who knows, you may like it's version of "espresso" ;) lol .... any upgrade from preground is a good thing ;)

Actually with fresh beans and a good grinder, your Moka would make far better cups. Fresh beans and grinder are more important than the actual machine. Only time I use preground in my Moka is when making Cuban style with Pilon or Bustelo, and creating the sugar froth to mix with it. Growing up in South FL its a staple ha.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > not oily beans...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267456054688)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+