Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Adjust Grinder according to level of beans in the Hopper ?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Adjust Grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
BaristaM

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 3:08pm
Subject: Adjust Grinder according to level of beans in the Hopper ?

Hello everybody,

I 've recently heard that the level of coffee beans in the hopper of the grinder can influence the dosage of grounded coffee going in the portafilter basket. In this case we are talking about a Mahlkönig automatic grinder. This makes sense in a way, as if the hopper is full of coffee beans there is more pressure on the coffee beans in the bottom, so more coffee beans end up to the burrs than when the hopper is almost empty.
However, even though it makes sense a little bit I am not sure if there is a noticeable difference that would make you adjust the time of grinding as the hopper is getting emptied.

Any insights please?
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 4:30am
Subject: Re: Adjust Grinder according to level of beans in the Hopper ?

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

It's true, using a timer the level of beans can actually influence the dose for exactly the reasons you described. If you accept that a difference of 0.2 g in dosage can alter taste, this might even be significant. I guess the easiest way to work around that problem is to keep the hopper half full, for example.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
BaristaM

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 4:48am

Thanks for the answer  Nobby. It will affect everything actually, but first of all the extraction time.

The 0.2gr you refer to is just a randomly picked figure or any statistics shown this discrepancy?

If we know how much is the discrepancy, we could adjust the single button to be used then, giving us this few grams we missed due to the almost empty hopper (since we do not pour singles)

Thanks again
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 6:43am

BaristaM Said:

The 0.2gr you refer to is just a randomly picked figure or any statistics shown this discrepancy?

Posted April 2, 2014 link

I guess it's an empirical value. Wether you notice the difference in taste or not, probably depends partly on your personal taste buds.

You could use a digital scale in order to find out at which bean level the effect kicks in.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 6:51am

NobbyR Said:

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

It's true, using a timer the level of beans can actually influence the dose for exactly the reasons you described. If you accept that a difference of 0.2 g in dosage can alter taste, this might even be significant. I guess the easiest way to work around that problem is to keep the hopper half full, for example.

I think "single dosing" is an even easier way to be consistent. Once the grind is adjusted for single dose, you never have a variable of downward pressure from a hopper slightly more or less full.  however, there may be a point over which...maybe 1/3 full, for random example...where it doesn't matter whether the hopper is that full or more full.  One could probably design an experiment.

Most chatter I've read about how different a dose can weigh to taste it, is about 0.5g.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 7:02am

i agree, try it with a scale and your tastes and let us know the result.
Buckley

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 7:45am

I would like to reply by pasting a note I typed just a few minutes ago on another thread.

Buckley Said:

It becomes increasingly obvious that, collectively, we CGs obsess about differences that do not make a difference.  
B

Everyone will agree that the grind results will change with the depth of beans sitting on top.   The same grinding time will produce a lighter weight dose with fewer beans in the hopper; if one goes by constant dose weight then the grinding time would increase with an emptier hopper.  What you are concerned about would be the fineness/coarseness of the grind and if the distribuition of the range of grind sizes were affected.   This would affect how you infuse and the taste in the cup.  Then there is the consideration that this would affect some grinders to a greater extent than others.  A precise knowledge of this phenomenon probably rests with grinder deigners and manufacturers but, to my knowledge, none of them has seen fit to publish this knowledge on the web or otherwise.  
Some will say that it makes an empirical difference, that is, the  infusion tastes different or is more challenging to infuse one way or another.  Some, such as myself, say it makes no difference whatsoever.  I use a K-10 WBC without the doser.
In my opinion, by posting this question on this forum you are asking for a bunch of opinions that are unsupported or, at best, supported by individual experiences on individuals' different machines.  Congratulations on your Mahlkönig, especialy on your successful effort to get the umlaut in there.
The best answer to your question is do it, try it, does it matter to you, or not?  Your experience is independent of the opinions of other people.  You know how to fill and empty a hopper, so what use are insights, mine or others?
Buckley
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 8:39am

good points, Buckley!

Ah, the geek in us....

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
BaristaM

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:23pm

Buckley I can see where you are coming from, even though you sound really derisive.

So, of course I am asking people for their insights because I don't consider myself as a geek that knows everything, but as a person you has a good understanding and experience but I believe other people have much more and I can use their insights wherever these come from (practical experience, reading etc) for the best after a critical analysis. I am asking for insights from people who actually want to pass on their knowledge to other people, and not ironic 'I know all" people.

You see some of the "bunch" may have worked with the Mahlkönig (with the umlaut) more than myself and have noticed and dealt with all these and can give some advice or some ideas to try because they have been in the same situation like me.

Lastly, as you may already know (if you don't, then there is something for you to learn here) manufactures won't tell you all the truths for many reasons. Maybe because some of these will not really be the best for your needs (who is going to tell you the imperfections of their product?) or because they want to keep coming back and fix or service your machines and get some more money.
Buckley

Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 5:28am

Sorry that I could be taken as derisive.  That was not my intent.  There are too many know-it-alls on this forum, some of whom are not ironic.  I segue into this unfortunate catchall and have to reposition myself into the humble low place from time-to-time, if life doesn't do it for me.
Regarding your post: again, there are too many, as you say, know-it-alls on this forum; from my perspective very few have Mahlkonigs;  I am assuming that those who do are uber-serious types who are interested in engineering and advanced technique posts and pass over posts like yours (no disrespect intended) with eyes glazed over.
By virtue of my exalted standing on this forum and by my authority, I now pronounce you journeyman expert on the use of the Mahlkönig ___(insert model here)____, and charge you to answer all questions regarding the operation of same by virtue of your experience.  In a few short weeks your status on this board will automatically revert to 'Senior" (scary, huh?) and you will be sought out for your advice.  Be humble, be helpful.

Irony aside, you probably have more to contribute on the characteristics of the Mahlkönig than almost anyone else on the site.  If it pleases you to do so, search from time to time on this site, or on H-B for people having issues with your machine.  Most will probably be buying questions.

Happy coffee,
Buckley
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Adjust Grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295305967331)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+