Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
grinder to match a bezzera magica
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > grinder to match...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
yiannis550

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:22am
Subject: grinder to match a bezzera magica

Hi guys,

I am searching for some time now to buy a machine and grinder pair. On the machine side I ended up with a decision for the Bezzera Magica for various reasons.

What is a good grinder to pair it up with?

I was thinking of the Mazzer mini e which everyone raves about but it is a bit expensive and I was wandering if I could save a bit by going to a less superstar but equally well build grinder.

Thus after some research I found the Quamar M80E 2014 edition. I found a few reviews on its older brothers and are quite favorable and compare it to the mazzer mini and even found one that compares it to the Jolly!

Of course those reviews are a bit old so I would like some fresher comments and reviews from people who had experience of this grinder.

Thanks!

Yiannis
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:51am
Subject: Re: grinder to match a bezzera magica

You should be thinking I want this k!cka$$ grinder, what machine should I pair with it, not the other way around. So, although your thinking via the most common thought process, it's bass ackwards.  

Guessing by your comments that your budget is is in the $550-700 range (depending on what Mini model you're looking at).  Have you considered getting a used grinder? Many people here have bought used Mazzer SJs or even Majors for leass than the price of a new Mini, and typically all they need is a bit of cleaning and a new burr set.  In fact, a dosered non-E model SJ is cheaper than an E model Mini (www.1st-line.com).

EDIT: I just saw you're in Lemesos...as in Cyprus?  So, the prices and availability, and even the sources I suggested may not be applicable to you.  But the concepts are, so you'll have to do some searching to see what you may be able to get your hands on.

Here's what I'd do (did)...

1) decide if you want flat or conical burrs
2) decide if you want a doser or not
3) decide if you want a programmable grinder or not
4) look at your space and see if you have size limitations, either physically limited or aesthetically limited
5) go to all the commonly used online retailrers you find here on CG (Chris' Coffee Service, 1st-line, Espressoparts, Wholelattelove, seattlecoffeegear, sweet marias, primacoffee...I'm sure I'm leaving someone oiut), see what htey have for sale in your price range and with the features you want.
6) read reviews and simultaneously come back here and ask for peoples opinions.  look for both advantages and disadvantages of the grinder.  Be wary of opinons that have nothing negative to say.
7) be open to modifications/embellishments...such as putting a Schectermatic Schnozzola on a Mazzer doser, or adding plastic tabs to the sweeper vanes in a doser.  Both of these, and many other things you can do aftermarket, are very simple and improve or eliminate some of the grinders' shortcomings.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 8:59am

The Quamar M80 is identical to a Mazzer Super Jolly in terms of "in the cup" performance. I've never head anyone or read anything saying there was a detectable difference, and I sure as hell couldn't tell.  

The M80 had two problems relative to the SJ.  One was its lousy doser -- but thank goodness, that's not a part of the "on-demand," doserless M80E; the second is that M80s are NOISY.  By the way, there's a third grinder in that same class, the Ceado E7, which is easier to adjust, seemingly better built and quieter than the Mazzer -- which says a great deal, because although the Mazzer is something of a pain to adjust, it's extremely well built and quiet.

If you've got the room for it, and can live with some extra noise in the morning, the Quamar is better in the cup than the Mini (although perhaps no better than a Mini E with SJ burrs); and far more desirable.  

Ron was right about a grinder-first priority in the sense that a Magica is good enough (providing you have the beans and skills) to allow you to discern the superiority of a grinder in the SJ/M80 class over a grinder in the Mini/Vario class.  For that matter, it's good enough to reap the benefits of the very best grinders. The only limitations are space and money.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yiannis550

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 4:02pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Basically it will be on my kitchen worktop so I need something that looks nice otherwise my wife will never accept it!

I like the looks of the Quamar M80e model.

I dont mind conical vs flat as from everything I read it seems it is most important the taste in the cup and the build quality rather than the shape of the burs.

Finally I dont like models with dosers. IT seem to cause a lot of mess, and need cleaning every time. I will not be making a lot of coffee unless I have guests. Maybe 2 shots in the morning and a cappuccino or two in the afternoon!

I still like the Quamar model and the more I read on it the more I  like it. I don't like buying used equipment unless it is a shelf demo kit that has not being abused.

Actually I set my eyes on an Expobar double boiler espresso machine but I reduced to magica because that will save me 200 Euro which I could use for better grinder.

Now My limit on the grinder is about 600 Euros. I was trying to find a lightly used Jolly or Mazzer Mini E, and then I found the Quamar which is about 150 Euros less brand new and gets some raving reviews (although very few).

I want comments from people who own it before I make a final decission. Also I have a question I cannot find info on anywhere else:

How fine does the quamar go? I like an occasional greek coffee from time to time and also most of my guests as well. I would like to be able to grind my own coffee for that too!

Thanks again!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > grinder to match...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.200271844864)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+