Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Upgrading Kitchenaid Proline grinder - what will the quality gonna be?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrading...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Neoa70

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 10:43am
Subject: Upgrading Kitchenaid Proline grinder - what will the quality gonna be?

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the espresso business and need your advice. A few month ago I bought a used Kitchenaid Proline espresso machine for $150 (little used!). Since my budget is limited, I started off with a blade grinder, went on to a cheep Krups burr grinder which I tweaked with shims to get a finer grind. With the Krups I now actually make worse espresso than with the blade grinder! Well, I realized I have to upgrade, but again my budget is limited. I have the chance to buy a used Kitchenaid Proline grinder for $65. I have read about the mods of fitting Mazzer Mini burrs and making it stepless and would end up that way with about $170 for the modified grinder.
My question to anybody, especially the guy's that have done the modification, in what quality range will I end up? Comparable to a Lelit PL-53? or a Iberital Challenge (the $300 class)? Or better than that?

Thanks,

Stefan
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 10:48am
Subject: Re: Upgrading Kitchenaid Proline grinder - what will the quality gonna be?

I like mine better than the M Mini even with the same burrs - my guess is the lower RPM KA/MM burrs is easier in the beans.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Neoa70

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 10:55am
Subject: Re: Upgrading Kitchenaid Proline grinder - what will the quality gonna be?

Thanks Eric for the quick reply. So the type/quality of burrs will make the difference, that simple? By using the Mazzer Mini burrs, I will get Mazzer Mini quality grind?

Stefan
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 3:13am

The performance will be slower - the lower RPM's probably are the reason, but the quality is nice. I haven't tried a Proline with the factory burrs so I can't comment on the improvement MM burrs provide. I know the results in the cup with MM burrs are similar to some 64mm flat burr grinders I have used - just slower to grind.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
chex
chex
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Q M Silvano, Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: 2xMazzer SJs, Major, WW2 era...
Drip: Hario pourover, presses,...
Roaster: Behmor, stovetop...
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 8:02pm

I too have an old Kitchenaid Proline burr grinder I've owned for a good 10 years. Yes, it does have flat burrs, however, it's mounting is vertical rather than horizontal; thus it's design isn't the same as a mazzer even w/ modded burrs. I was talked out of doing the mazzer mod on my grinder a few years back, it's main use around the house is for French press, pour over, or aeropress. Since the grinder is a step grinder by default (and 12 steps if i remember), it's not precise for dialing in as a espresso grinder. Next issue I had was with dosing, I find pouring out of it's jar quite difficult since it lacks a pour spout and may be quite messy without a scoop. Don't get me wrong, I really love the grinder since it served me well for years, but as an espresso grinder, I would prefer a refurb Baratza instead. You can try the stepless mod too, but I would wonder if the grind settings would drift. To me $65 for it used, $50 for Mazzer burrs, and ~$5-20 for mod parts seems tempting, but your results may vary. Honestly, If you want Mazzer like performance (and you do, trust me), try to find a good deal for a used mazzer and restore that. If you are looking for a good general purpose coffee grinder for all other brew methods, $65 is quite a steal imo. Hmm I may have to make a press pot with it tomorrow morning...
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 5:25am

chex Said:

I too have an old Kitchenaid Proline burr grinder I've owned for a good 10 years. Yes, it does have flat burrs, however, it's mounting is vertical rather than horizontal; thus it's design isn't the same as a mazzer even w/ modded burrs. I was talked out of doing the mazzer mod on my grinder a few years back, it's main use around the house is for French press, pour over, or aeropress. Since the grinder is a step grinder by default (and 12 steps if i remember), it's not precise for dialing in as a espresso grinder. Next issue I had was with dosing, I find pouring out of it's jar quite difficult since it lacks a pour spout and may be quite messy without a scoop. Don't get me wrong, I really love the grinder since it served me well for years, but as an espresso grinder, I would prefer a refurb Baratza instead. You can try the stepless mod too, but I would wonder if the grind settings would drift. To me $65 for it used, $50 for Mazzer burrs, and ~$5-20 for mod parts seems tempting, but your results may vary. Honestly, If you want Mazzer like performance (and you do, trust me), try to find a good deal for a used mazzer and restore that. If you are looking for a good general purpose coffee grinder for all other brew methods, $65 is quite a steal imo. Hmm I may have to make a press pot with it tomorrow morning...

Posted April 16, 2014 link

A Baratza refurb that can grind with a Mazzer will cost more than $150 so the modded KA wins the price battle in this example. The KA stepless mod is very simple and wont drift after a wrap or two of Teflon tape. A cheap canning funnel that fits in the espresso filter basket makes dumping grinds simple. Helps when dumping from a Baratza collector bin too.

Vertical Proline burr mount plus the auger and low RPM's vs M Mini using horizontal burr mount, high RPM's and centrifugal force to drive the beans is the real difference - modded Proline sacrifices speed but that probably accounts for the improvement in the cup IMHO.

walkinghispath

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Kitchenaid Pro Line (PID'd),...
Grinder: Kitchenaid Pro Line (Mazzer...
Drip: Krups grind and brew for the...
Roaster: Dog bowl and a heat gun
Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 3:32pm

$65?!  Go for it!  I paid $100 for mine.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrading...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260103940964)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+