Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
quamar m80e vs Ceado e7s vs ?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > quamar m80e vs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
yiannis550

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 4:10pm
Subject: quamar m80e vs Ceado e7s vs ?

High guys. I am in the market for a new espresso machine and grinder

I was thinking for quamar m80e but since everybody advises grinder grinder grinder I am wondering what would be the benefit if i spend a bit (300) euro more and get a ceado e7s? Is there any other grinder I should concider?
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 5:06pm
Subject: Re: quamar m80e vs Ceado e7s vs ?

BDL will pry post, he has experience with the Ceados and I think the Quamar
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 5:44pm

There's a pretty good write up at H-B comparing the M80, Super Jolly and E7.  Read it and what I have to say here, and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them.  

The Super Jolly class (for lack of a better term) is comprised of high performing, well-built, medium-duty, 64mm and 65mm flat burr grinders.  

The one I'm most familiar with is the Super Jolly.  My short take on the Mazzer is that it's an extremely well built, easy to use grinder, that the doser can be easily modded to excellence, but -- like all Mazzers -- it has a pin-in-collar scheme that's a pain to adjust.

My short take on the Quamar is that it's NOISY and the grinder is sloppy, and prone to retain grounds.  Otherwise, it's extremely well built and easy to use.  The in the cup qualities are indistinguishable from the SJ (and, so I'm told, from the E7 as well).  

I've never used an E7, but own a Ceado E92.  After 6 months, I'm a Ceado believer.  On that basis, as well as the H-B article which tends confirms my thoughts about Ceado quality, I'd buy an E7 Timer if purchasing a grinder in that class.  But that's me.  We may have different priorities.  

FWIW, I don't believe there is an E7s.  There's an E7x, which has a less powerful motor than the E7, but other than, I don't know anything about it.  As a rule, a larger motor is to be preferred for its torque and propensity to produce less heat.  

The Mazzer Super Jolly is never a bad choice.

Like everyone else I pay close attention to the coffee dose in my porta filter.  I'm a big fan of controlling it with timer dosing (as opposed to "single dosing" by weight into the grinder).  If I were buying I'd include an 0.1sec timer/switch of some sort in my budget if it weren't already built into the grinder.  

Finally, since I don't know very much about you or what's available to you where you live, I can't make recommendations other than to buy the best grinder you can afford.  Obviously you have to be responsible in how you spend your money, and not everyone has the coin or the space for a huge, commercial grinder... But bigger is better, and spend more get more.  As long as your espresso machine is competent, no grinder is too good.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yiannis550

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 8:43pm

Thanks for the information.

By the way I meant to say the ceado E37s. http://www.ceado.com/en/product/21.html

I would like a doserless model because I will be making only 2-4 coffees a day unless I have guests...

I have read the review you mentioned on HB but it is a few years old and I am talking about the new models. The m80e does not have the bad doser mentioned in the review while the  ceado has a much larger 83mm flat burr!

I know both the grinders are of good quality. I will be stretching my budget a lot to go to the ceado so I will do it if there is good taste difference.

My machine will be a bezzera hx e61 series (either giulia or magica)

Nothing is available locally I am going to order everything on the internet. I am from Cyprus and my choice is limited...

My dream is to have something to use so I can have great coffee like the one I had in Milan few years ago!

So my skills should be the only obstacle after I am done shopping. However I am on a limited budget so value for money is important.

Thanks again!

Yiannis
boar_d_laze

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 9:17pm
Subject: Re: quamar m80e vs Ceado e37s vs ?

Yiannis,

Ah ha!  I know the E37s and the M80e.  No extrapolation.  

E37s vs Quamar M80e would be an easy choice, if it were a choice at all.  

The E37s is a much better grinder than the Quamar M80e.  In the cup, it's got a better top (fruits and florals), better mouthfeel, better separation, more nuance, and better clarity.  Etc.  In use, it's more pleasant to touch, easier to adjust, has better clump/static management, is quieter, neater, doses more accurately, is easier to clean and easier to maintain. Etc.  

Not really much of a choice is it?

A few grinders which compete more or less equally with the E37s are the Anfim Supercaimano (doser, not on-demand); Mahlkonig K30 Vario; and Mazzer Major E.  I think there's an on-demand Macap with big flats, too; but I've never used or even seen it.  And maybe some other stuff that's available in Europe but not here.    

Rich
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 6:40am

Let's not forget the e37 is nearly twice the price of the m80e.

I use the electronic m80 and love it. I would say its not very loud, it grinds pretty evenly and is easy to program. The grinder does retain some grinds below the hopper but this isn't an issue if you dose to grind.

I haven't used an e37, but I would definitely say the m80e competes with the SJ.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
boar_d_laze

Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 9:45am

acasabia Said:

Let's not forget the e37 is nearly twice the price of the m80e.

I use the electronic m80 and love it. I would say its not very loud, it grinds pretty evenly and is easy to program. The grinder does retain some grinds below the hopper but this isn't an issue if you dose to grind.

I haven't used an e37, but I would definitely say the m80e competes with the SJ.

Posted April 25, 2014 link

At least compared to anything in the class other than an Anfim, it's pretty noisy.  It's louder than a Mazzer or a Ceado.  I suppose individual tolerance and grinder tone play as much a role as sheer volume.  My La Cimbali Max Junior was on the loud side, but it never bothered my wife even when she was sleeping because she thought it was a good sound.  

Sound is just one thing.  Nobody's saying about the M80e, "Dammit, it's junk."  On the contrary, it's an excellent grinder for the price.  Not that you need the ratification, I think your comparison of an M80 to an SJ -- or an M80e to an SJ E -- is on the money.  After all, they're both, light to medium duty, commercial, 64/65mm diameter flat burr, on-demand grinders.  

The E37s is in a different class entirely though; the "Titan" flats -- which includes, by way of a few examples, the Anfim Supercaimano (talk about noisy!), Compak K8 and K8 Fresh, Mahlkonig K30 Vario, Mazzer Major and Major E, and the Quamar T48.  And if your really into an apples to apples comparison, you'd limit that group of Titan flats to the "on demand" doserless grinders.    

While I hemmed and hawed over M80 vs E7, I'm confident that M80e vs E37s is no contest.  It's a matter of exclusion.  If you've already made the decision to NOT spend E37s money, then the E37s isn't on the table and the Quamar M80e looks pretty damn good against similarly performing competition on the basis of price, and against similarly priced competition on the basis of performance.  Except that you could legitimately choose the Baratza Vario over the M80e on the same bases.  Balancing the M80e's better construction (and perhaps marginally better "cup" qualities) against the Vario's incredible friendliness, small footprint, and substantially lower price would make for a tough choice.  But we can keep make an infinite number of tough decisions if we don't stick to some simple criteria.  

The rule of thumb, Buy the best grinder you can afford that will fit in your space is determinative.  That you love your M80e, or that I love my Ceado E92 have no bearing on the question of M80e vs E37s.  

On the other hand -- the OP's hand, the only hand that matters -- with price and space out of the way, the E37s is simply a better grinder than the M80e.    

Rich
yiannis550

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 12:31am

Thank you so much for all the info guys.

While searching for the E37s another one got my attention as well, the Compak K8 Fresh. They have the same flat burr size but different motor. the K8 is more powerful (and more noisy I presume from some posts)

K8F: Large 83mm flat burr with 730W, 1325rpm, electronic time dosing
E37s:Large 83mm flat burr with 400W, 1400 rpm, electronic time dosing

Any experience or thoughts which one will be better in the cup? (For me that is what matters mostly, the taste in the cup)!
boar_d_laze

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 12:39pm

yiannis550 Said:

Any experience or thoughts which one will be better in the cup? (For me that is what matters mostly, the taste in the cup)!

Posted April 29, 2014 link

They're both extremely well reviewed.  On that basis, and since burrs are more important than motor, as well as a minor variation in rotation speed (big variations count), I'll guess they're probably indistinguishable in the cup  

Here in the States the outstanding difference is price.  The Ceado E37s is $400 less expensive than the Compak Fresh.  Don't know if that's true for you in Cyprus.  Ceado's US distributor, WLL (a CG site sponsor and a damn good retailer), is discounting Ceado very heavily to gain market penetration here; and that's probably not the case with EU dealers.  

Rich
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014, 1:50pm

I was checking out the E7 Timer, looks good, but......none in stock....WWL..... Seems to be the time of year that not a lot of new equipment for sale...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > quamar m80e vs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29776096344)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+