Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Should I replace the burrs on my Rancilio Rocky?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Should I replace...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mtnjelly
Mtnjelly
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: French Press
Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 1:32pm
Subject: Should I replace the burrs on my Rancilio Rocky?

My hubby bought my grinder used in 2009.  I believe the grinder was about 2 yrs old at that time.  I have never replaced the burrs, but I'm thinking it's time to do that.  We use our grinder at least 2+ times a day.  This past week, I took it apart to clean and since then, I am having a hard time finding the right setting for espresso grind.  I have to grind at 2, and with a good tamp, temperature surfing with my Silvia, I can't consistently get a 20 sec shot.  Most of my espresso is under-extracted and I'm thinking it may be time to replace the burrs.  

This has also got me contemplating (ithching for) my first upgrade.  
Any advice about replacing my burrs and/or upgrading to a better grinder would be much appreciated :)
sorry if this is too much of a loaded question...
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 2:21pm
Subject: Re: Should I replace the burrs on my Rancilio Rocky?

Mtnjelly Said:

My hubby bought my grinder used in 2009.  I believe the grinder was about 2 yrs old at that time.  I have never replaced the burrs, but I'm thinking it's time to do that.  We use our grinder at least 2+ times a day.  This past week, I took it apart to clean and since then, I am having a hard time finding the right setting for espresso grind.  I have to grind at 2, and with a good tamp, temperature surfing with my Silvia, I can't consistently get a 20 sec shot.  Most of my espresso is under-extracted and I'm thinking it may be time to replace the burrs.

Posted June 2, 2014 link

Having a hard time finding the right setting is an issue even when the Rocky is working properly.  Odds are the burrs aren't worn out and it's just that they're (or something else affecting burr alignment) not seated properly.
Mtnjelly
Mtnjelly

Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 3:00pm

Takeshi, I was thinking that the issue is probably due to misalignment.... I have found that some folks have been using teflon tape to fix this same problem.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

When I screw on the top burr, I screw in to the point that the burrs touch, then back off - when I go to place the hopper on, zero is not at 0. The whole thing is off by 10.  I have messed with it as much as I can, but can't seem to get the whole thing lined up correctly!  I'm debating using the Teflon tape to see if it works.  

Has anyone tried the teflon tape to their Rocky to solve this issue?

My next thought is, since it appears that many ppl are having this issue with the Rocky, and I've been itching for an upgrade anyway... I may just do that!  I have been entertaining the Mazzer Mini, but of course, want to look into all of my good options.

Anyone have any other thoughts/opinions on possible upgrades?  Experience with the MM?  How does it compare to the Rocky?..
Mtnjelly
Mtnjelly

Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 3:05pm

ok for some reason the link to "Rocky thread slop and the teflon tape fix" on home-barista didn't link right....
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 4:11pm

Jessie, the Rocky was a great grinder for home use . . . 20 years ago.  The problems people have with the Rocky that you read about stem chiefly from the fact that other grinders have since surpassed the Rocky in almost every way.  

If you have room, I'd look toward getting a bigger Mazzer -- think about getting a used Super Jolly, and then buying new burrs.  Another option would be the Baratza Vario.  Both are preferred over the Mazzer Mini.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Mtnjelly
Mtnjelly

Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 4:40pm

Jason, thanks for the advice.  WOW, how out of date and touch am I?!!?

I wish I'd joined CG long time ago, and kept up with the trends... but from 2008-2012 I worked 80+ hrs a week and had a very limited budget, so I was perfectly content with my Silvia/Rocky combo.  I just delivered my daughter 6 weeks ago, and during the majority of my pregnancy I was super nauseous and couldn't even stand the smell of my beloved coffee drink! (Can you believe that?)  I have just recently got back into drinking espresso like I use to, pre-pregnancy.  This past week I bought some Wendelboe beans while visiting Brooklyn and decided before I grind up my precious beans, I'd clean the machines...  only to face all of the issues of both Rocky and Silvia.  Now, that I am making more money and can afford much nicer machines, I think I am long overdue for some upgrades.

I will look into your suggestions and any others you or anyone else my have for me.  

What I want, ultimately is a great set-up where I can consistently get a great cup of espresso... not over-extracted or under-extracted. I need to know that my grind is correct.  I need to know that my machine is heating to the right temp... I feel that I am having a lot of issues with my current set up.  :(
Intrepid510

Posted Tue Jun 3, 2014, 12:13pm

Well even people with 2K grinders have trouble with Wendelboe beans when dealing in espresso. So don't fret much.

Less water, more grounds.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Should I replace...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228704929352)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+