Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Mini Timer Available - Worth it?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Bruceleeroy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Barista Express...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Timer
Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 7:02am
Subject: Mazzer Mini Timer Available - Worth it?

Hey guys,
I am looking to get a great espresso grinder and a friend at work is selling a 7 year old Mazzer Mini Timer for $350. He told me he replaced the burs last year.
Is that a good deal or should I just get one of the newer ones?

Thanks

Bruceleeroy: 00P0P_3ZI7IqP3I0E_600x450.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 11:38am
Subject: Re: Mazzer Mini Timer Available - Worth it?

The mini is a pretty good grinder, much better than Rocky which was the entry level grinder a few years ago and still can be found for about this price.
Likely the burrs are fine, it depends on how much coffee has been ground.
Not a bad price for a Mazzer, they are built like tanks and will last decades in a home environment.
The fact it is a friend is a good thing, SJs can be had starting at that price range (the next model up and quite a step up in grinding too) but if he knows the grinder from new it would be hard to go wrong.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Bruceleeroy

Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 12:57pm

Excellent thanks for the suggestion I really appreciate it.
Fidelm

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic, Isomac Itala
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 12:53am

Sounds like a pretty solid deal, especially if he is the original owner!
Bruceleeroy

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 6:19am

The only thing slightly holding me back is just the idea that maybe I should buy the newest Mazzer available because it has more bells and whistles. It sounds like from you guys though this is going to grind the coffee great and that isn't necessary.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 6:38am

depends a lot on your resources and desires, really.  I mean, if you've got unlimited cash and want an "E" model grinder, then that's what you should get. However, if you don't care about having an "E" model and/or can't scrape up the cash for one, then you have to get what you can. Personally, I don't want "E" model grinders...though I say this having never used one. To me, it's another thing that can break. Also, it means leaving grounds in the burr chamber between sessions.  This is something that I never really worried about much, or maybe better said...bothered myself with.  However, the more I think about it, the more I like my current method, which is pre-weighing individual doses, thwacking the doser and bumping the grinder to clear the burr chamber and get every bit I can into each shot (essentially, with no measurable retention).  But hey, everyone's got their own methods and reasons...so, to each his own, as they say.

As far as getting a well-cared for Mini...I echo prior comments supporting the deal. A few months ago, I was in the predicament of having finally gathered enough cash to get whatever grinder I wanted...literally.  I decided on a bare bones (ie, non-"E") dosered Mazzer Major. It's basically the papa (Super Jolly being the big brother) to what you're looking at.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dyno

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore The Club/Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 4:50pm

I've had/have both Timer and E versions.

Timer - unmodified produces an ok grind that is somewhat lackluster in the cup.  The burr carriers can be changed and Super Jolly burrs installed, which transforms it into quite an excellent grinder.  The SJ burrs grind faster and produce a fluffier looking grind with great results in the cup.

I have an older Mini E B version with pot timers and SJ burrs (no need to change burr carriers).  Normally it's fine but sometimes the dose will jump - I suspect the pot gets a little fouled somehow.  The newer A version dispense with the pots, a good thing.

Your friend's Mini Timer is about half the price of a used Mini E.  I'd say for straight espresso or non-milk, the Mini E with SJ burr upgrade would be the way to go.  For milk based, the Mini Timer will work fine and save you money.
Bruceleeroy

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 4:57pm

Wow thank you all so much for taking the time. I am mostly doing flat whites with my morning coffee so based on all the feedback it seems this is a great grinder for me to go for.
Thank you again for helping me with this.
Angman
Angman

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 10:46pm

Yup. Old doesn't mean bad especially if it's a Mazzer.  History of it is more important.  If the burrs are new, then there realy isn't much differentiating it from a new non electronic model outside of aesthetics.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244612932205)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+