Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Constant clogging of my Breville Smart Grinder
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Constant...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
jmack

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 7:23am
Subject: Constant clogging of my Breville Smart Grinder

Hi, I'm new here :)  

My first Burr grinder was the kitchen aid burr grinder that looked like a vintage grinder but was electric - had a white enamel base and glass hopper.  Made a MESS but worked like a workhorse for about 10 years until it started not grinding fine enough.

Last January ('13) I bought the Smart Grinder after looking at reviews and wanting to be somewhat economical but get something decent.  Have had pretty constant issues with it clogging, especially lately after running out of my coffee and buying some grocery store stuff - Starbucks and then some Steep & Brew (local) ... just needed something to get me by.  The Starbucks was a bit oily but nothing major.  BUT my coffee grinder absolutely canNOT deal!  I've had to take the burrs out completely, dig out the compacted coffee, and then run rice through it for like 1, maybe 2 more grinds, and then I have to do the entire thing over again!  I run it on the FIRST setting for espresso (so most coarse espresso setting).  Even with my other coffee I would routinely have to run it down to coarse into a cup and then back up to espresso ALL the time to get it to unclog!  I'm so SICK of this machine.

My Kitchenaid NEVER clogged up.  Until the end I had NO issues with it.  They don't make that model anymore, though, and I'm worried about the "Pro" one they sell being $300 and then not working well.

Can anyone suggest a grinder that JUST WORKS and not prone to clogging?  Life is too short to have to spend 10 minutes unclogging your grinder for every cup of coffee (not to mention all the WASTED beans I have to use to do this!)

Thanks! :)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 10:59am
Subject: Re: Constant clogging of my Breville Smart Grinder

Welcome to CG!

So...you're making espresso only with this grinder? Even if you aren't, consider that you could easily get a dedicated espresso-only grinder (and would be best off doing so, IMO) and keep the Smart Grinder for other brew methods.

Step 1: Get in the mindset that you should buy the very best grinder you can scrape up enough cash for.

Step 2: Give us a budget, based on the results of Step 1.

Step 3: Commit yourself to never buying lousy coffee beans again - unless you plan to use them to condition burrs, or something like that.

More questions...

1) Are you open to the idea of buying a used grinder?
2) Are you open to the idea of using a manual (hand-powered) grinder?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jmack

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 1:29pm

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Yep, only espresso.  I know I'm also making it wrong (don't grind fine enough and don't pack tight enough) but I have a method that produces coffee that I like and, like I said, my previous grinder just WORKED and that's what I want now - one that will just work and not clog up.

Don't want a used one and don't want a hand one.  

It seems like my old one the coffee left straight from the burrs out the chute and the Smart Grinder goes past that plastic round disk with the cutouts on the bottom, which tends to clog up constantly.  Is there one that the coffee comes out the burrs and then out, no narrow corridor that it can get backed up in, if that makes sense?

Thanks! :)

Jody
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 2:21pm

Sure, there are probably 30 like that, not counting the subtypes, but we still don't know how much you're wiling to spend. The extremes are the Bartza Preciso and the Mazzer Robur?

CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 3:14pm

What espresso machine are you using? I owned a Smart Grinder and it's not capable of espresso (though that might not matter to you since you said you don't pull normal shots), well sorta, tiny window to dial in but even if a shot was pulled it tasted mehhh, my Preciso wallops it and it in itself is just an entry level espresso grinder lol. As far as grinder you want, ton like that, depends on your budget as said above.
jmack

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 4:32pm

My machine is lame - I'm using a Via Venezia.  Would prefer to spend like $200 on a grinder but could go up a little bit - just don't want something that clogs.  

I know I'm making my "espresso" wrong - the grind and tamp are probably something that would make some of you gasp.  But the way I make it gives me lots of crema and it tastes great - I don't need to turn it into 'proper' espresso - just want a grinder that doesn't clog :)

Thanks again!
jmack

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 5:25pm

emradguy Said:

Mazzer Robur?

Posted June 13, 2014 link

LOL, not that one ;)
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 5:53pm

200 buck range, Baratza Virtuoso hands down. same awesome burr set as the Preciso (just lacking the micro adjustment for espresso), little/no retention as they have a short grind path straight out.

Veniza can still be decent, you can buy regular baskets to replace the pressurized basket. Pressurized baskets make odd coffee lol, I started with a Bar32. Forces their a tiny hole then out the spouts letting people use preground, or don't have good beans or grinder etc. That could be why your trying to make espresso but taste odd to you.

What beans are you using? Even with a pressurized pf fresh roasted beans will taste much better.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 6:54pm

I'd look at the Baratza site for a refurbished Preciso and also recommend you consider a Lelit PL53.

jmack

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 6:57pm

Thank you!  I will check that grinder out.

I tried a bunch of beans after two previous brands that I was using changed - actually the ones I get are probably considered crap (lol) but it's these: Click Here (www.amazon.com) - been buying them for about a year and to me they taste good.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Constant...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236025094986)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+