Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
help please: first time grinder purchase.  MAZZER!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > help please:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Paullovescoffee

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014, 12:14pm
Subject: help please: first time grinder purchase.  MAZZER!

Click Here (touch.adverts.ie)

Hi guys,
I would greatly appreciate some of your knowledge and expertise.  I have the opportunity to buy a used mazzer.  The seller,  however,  annoyingly does not seem to know full specs on the modelor even what model it is.  I will be able to look at it in person,  luckily, but if anyone could give me any feedback as to what model it might be and whether it looks in good condition,  if it's a good deal,  etc.  The burrs were apparently changed ionly a few months ago.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014, 1:49pm
Subject: Re: help please: first time grinder purchase.  MAZZER!

Whether that's a good deal or not will depend on which model it is.  If it doesn't run well (independent of burr age), it's not worth it to me. Seems to be a manual version of whatever model it is.  There will be a badge on it somewhere showing model and serial number...possibly even on the bottom plate. If it runs smoothly it'll probably last decades. Personally, I (this is just my own opinion) think that's too much for a used Mini.  Perhaps a decent price for a Super Jolly, and a good price for a Major (assuming it's a flat burr model). I'm not an expert though, and there are members here who seem to buy these used and refurbish them just for the fun of it.  One in particular who comes to mind is "calblacksmith".  Keep an eye out for his reply.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 9:26am

The photos are pretty bad, no detail.
The maker ID will be on a sticker on the left side of the machine near the front as you look at it on the counter.
That is WAY too much for a mini (if the exchange rate is close to 2:1 that I remember that it was the last time I checked... a while ago)
For a Super Jolly, you are getting near the NEW price for one in the U.S.
For a Major, that is a good price.
They are all built like brick out houses (really strong) and if in good condition, they will last many years in the home with little to do on them except for a change of burrs.

Prices in the U.S. for SJ, range from $50 for ugly old generation but working very well (needing burrs), ex coffee shop grinders too about $350 to $400 for new model or rebuilt older model good looking grinders. The market price does go up and down, not long ago a good SJ in good shape was $500 the market has gone down a little.

Turn it on, the motor should run smooth and without bearing noise. When it turns off, it should coast to a stop rater than stopping quickly (no beans in the grinder). The electrics are very simple for manual grinders, a relay, switch and a few wires pretty much is it. The Automatic version has 2 micro switches in addition to the base grinder, one in the bottom of the doser to turn the grinder on after a few pulls of the lever and one at the top of the doser to shut it off when the doser is full.

Things have changed in the way we think about grinders, a full doser is a bad thing, the coffee is going stale the whole time it is in there. Coffee tends to go stale very quickly when ground, about 15 minutes so a doser full of ground coffee is not a good thing. When I get an Automatic grinder, I remove the microswitches and rewire it to operate as a manual grinder. Automatic is not a good thing. The counter on the grinder if it has one, is meaningless, it is there only for reference to the shop owner so they can see how many times the lever was pulled that day. It does not reset and in no way does it represent anything about how many times the lever has been pulled in the life of the grinder.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 10:02am

Looks too tall for an SJ (I had 2).
Not sure if it's a Major, though.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 11:59am

Not a Major - no side vents on the body.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 12:08pm

I was under the impression that the easy way to tell a Major from a SJ by looking at the body is that the Major has vents on the side of the body but the SJ does not. Also the proportion of size that the switch represents to the total body height. Take a look at this photo from H-B:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

From that photo, the switch-to-body ratio on the SJ is about 1:7, but on the Major is about 1:8

From the photo the OP pointed to (rather poor photos), it looks like the ratio is about 1:5.5, which would be much closer to a Mini, as shown in the photo on the WLL site:

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Mazzer/mini.cfm

Also it does not have vents. I's say more likely a Mini but the body looks more like a SJ. The quality of the photo makes it difficult.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 7:26pm

Without a point of reference, it is very hard to see the difference between the models in bad photos.
The Major has cooling slits in the side of the body and is about 2 inches taller than the SJ.
The SJ is about 2 inches taller than the mini.
The doser changes sizes to stay about the same size scale wise between the grinders.

I did not see any slits in the body so I doubt it is a Major, the SJ comes with the cone hopper while the mini is very often seen with the smaller bowl shaped bean hopper.

If I had to make a choice without knowing any more about it, I would guess SJ.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > help please:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.21836400032)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+