Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Microfoam with Expobar
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Microfoam with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
goodlookin1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office
Grinder: Vanelis Minipro III
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 8:50am
Subject: Microfoam with Expobar

Hey guys,

I have a technical question in regards to steam. But I'll give some background first:

I have an Expobar Office Pulser and have owned it for about 3 years now. The steam has always been consistent and powerful, and at a glance, one would think there are no issues with it. But in the meantime, my parents bought a La Scala Butterfly, which has a lot of the same type of specs. I would say it seems to have about the same steaming power, or maybe even a tad bit less, but it looks exactly the same. I thought my microfoam was good on the Exbobar until I was able to work on their machine....When I use the La Scala, it takes the same amount of time to steam (even using the same single hole tips on both machines), but for some reason the result is exactly what I see in the latte art videos on youtube and so forth: Thick, viscous, paint-like milk. When I pour it, it almost "plops" into the espresso....it has a property that makes it seem to not want to mix with the coffee (good thing). It does mix, but it just has this oily, syrupy kind of texture that I cannot get with my Expobar.

My question is, what could be causing this on my machine? Could this be because my steam is too "wet"? Not enough/too much pressure? Temperature? I know it's a difference between the machines because I am not changing any technique or any other variables other than the machine itself (same steam tip, same amount of milk, same pitcher, etc). How do I get that "syrupy", "paint-like" milk out of my steamer?

Any direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 11:09am
Subject: Re: Microfoam with Expobar

I am fighting the same battle.  I did perfect microfoam on the steam toy and now on Oscar I can get lovely cappa foams or hot milk with a few bubbles or mixed large bubbles and microfoam but I can't get a full jug of microfoam.  I think it is just too strong even with me turning down the Pstat.   If you think it is too wet then purge the wand a bit more but you are already at one hole, so if you can turn down the pressure then try that.  I am stuck also.  I do better with less holes.  I am working on fixing a one hole that Rich made for me.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012, 6:44am
Subject: Re: Microfoam with Expobar

If steaming is going too fast, try a little more milk. My machine will blow 6 oz of milk out of the pitcher but works GREAT with 12 oz. This may be more milk than you want but it helped me. I just compensated by making larger drinks and more espresso to the drinks so that the ratio stays the same. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Microfoam with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.172841072083)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+