Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
I've got hot milk, I've got thick foam, but I'm missing the awesome micro foam!
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > I've got hot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
thecatinside

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Brewtus III-v
Grinder: Anfim SC, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: Woodneck, V60
Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 11:39am
Subject: Re: I've got hot milk, I've got thick foam, but I'm missing the awesome micro

JtothaR Said:

But I try not to take milk to 145-150 ever because the sugars get destroyed.

Posted March 8, 2012 link

Sugars don't get destroyed. Depending on the sugar, it needs to be heated up to at least 230 degrees Fahrenheit to break down the sugars while creating new compounds. It's also called caramelization.

The problem with milk and excess heating is with the proteins. The largest group of proteins in milk is called casein. Second largest group of proteins is called whey proteins mostly consisting of beta-lactoglobulin. When milk is heated up to approximately 160 degrees, the proteins (mostly beta-lactoglobulin) start to denature and they release sulphur which is tasting bad and spoils the foam.
 View Profile Link to this post
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Appia, Oscar
Grinder: K10, Lusso, GM 875
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 11:48am
Subject: Re: I've got hot milk, I've got thick foam, but I'm missing the awesome micro

thecatinside Said:

Sugars don't get destroyed. Depending on the sugar, it needs to be heated up to at least 230 degrees Fahrenheit to break down the sugars while creating new compounds. It's also called caramelization.

The problem with milk and excess heating is with the proteins. The largest group of proteins in milk is called casein. Second largest group of proteins is called whey proteins mostly consisting of beta-lactoglobulin. When milk is heated up to approximately 160 degrees, the proteins (mostly beta-lactoglobulin) start to denature and they release sulphur which is tasting bad and spoils the foam.

Posted March 8, 2012 link

Either way, I've found that the hotter you take it the worse the flavor.....

Load and Lock.
JFitzpatrick

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012, 5:19pm
Subject: Update, with pictures =)

I've tried out some of the suggestions all of you provided... and things have improved considerably. Here's what I'm doing now:

1. I ditched the thermometer. I'd used it long enough that I had a good idea what the temp of the milk was by just holding it. The dial was so freaking big I couldn't even really see into the pitcher/maneuver it properly.

2. I focused on incorporating air/stretching for only the first 5-8 seconds, or until the pitcher started to feel warm... then I sunk the wand slightly below the surface where the whirlpool was forming and continued the whirlpool action.

The string of pics here are examples from the last two weeks or so, arranged chronologically to show how things have advanced. I could definitely use some more practice with the finesse side of things, but I'm at least fairly consistent with the microfoam now.

One thing I could definitely use some more pointers on is establishing a good whirlpool. Right now I tilt the pitcher at a roughly 45 degree'ish angle towards myself and shoot the steam straight down. I can get a whirlpool pretty easily this way, over and over. The only problem is that I haven't figured out how to get a whirlpool going with the wand deeper in the milk. I just sink it a centimeter or two down once I'm done stretching. The problem with that is it's really easy to accidentally start stretching the milk again, introducing big bubbles into the mix too late in the game.

Any pointers?

JFitzpatrick: IMG_20120319_104745.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Sat Mar 24, 2012, 8:10am
Subject: Re: Update, with pictures =)

JFitzpatrick Said:

The string of pics here are examples from the last two weeks or so, arranged chronologically to show how things have advanced. I could definitely use some more practice with the finesse side of things, but I'm at least fairly consistent with the microfoam now.

Posted March 23, 2012 link

Looking good!  Nice work and you're clearly getting the hang of it.  Your first three pics look like the milk was over stretched slightly but the last two look better.  Maybe stop stretching just a little sooner and see how that fairs for you. Like I said, you're definitely starting to get it. Only other thing I'd add is don't try to draw the design; just be rhythmic and fluid with the throws and just let the design develop on its own.  

JFitzpatrick Said:

One thing I could definitely use some more pointers on is establishing a good whirlpool. Right now I tilt the pitcher at a roughly 45 degree'ish angle towards myself and shoot the steam straight down. I can get a whirlpool pretty easily this way, over and over. The only problem is that I haven't figured out how to get a whirlpool going with the wand deeper in the milk. I just sink it a centimeter or two down once I'm done stretching. The problem with that is it's really easy to accidentally start stretching the milk again, introducing big bubbles into the mix too late in the game.

Posted March 23, 2012 link

Tilting the pitcher is good, but I also tilt the wand too.  Keeping the tip of the wand pressed against the side of the pitcher helps with the whirlpool vs having closer to the center of the milk
bugeyes

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 6:08am

Stuart Said:

A week ago, I got to practice making microfoam with a La Marzocco Linea. Oh. My. Gosh. The milk went from fridge-cold to "warm" in about seven seconds, and to "too hot to touch" in about ten more. I understand the benefits to that in a commercial environment, but that was pretty hard to handle; given that my prior experience was limited to something that took almost 10x that long to heat/froth milk.

Posted March 7, 2012 link

So how someone can make a good microfoam for about 10-15 second before it too hot to touch? I recently just bought a Andreja prem and that thing is way too powerful, should I not open the valve all the way?
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > I've got hot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279367923737)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+