Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Steaming observation on my NS Oscar
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Steaming...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ShooterMcGavin
ShooterMcGavin
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: N.S. Oscar
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 6:29am
Subject: Re: Steaming observation on my NS Oscar

I also use chris' "pressure-reducing" tip.  My pstat is set fairly high (about 1/4" turn away from full tightness).  As for pitcher, I use a 12oz Motta europa pitcher and steam approx 3 oz of milk for my cappuccinos (2oz epresso, 3 oz milk) .  That being said, it takes less than 10 seconds to steam the milk.  I barely dip the tip into the milk and as the milk stretches, it eventually starts rising to the point where I don't have to dip the tip any further or do any tilting (If I do try further dipping the wand or tilting, I tend to create huge bubbles).  Since the milk heats up ridiculously fast, I reach for the steam knob and begin turning it off as soon as the pitcher starts feeling hot.  I've only figured this out recently, so now I'm working on my pour.

ShooterMcGavin: rosetta.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Daviiid
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 8:38pm

You only have a few larger bubbles and I seem to have more than those.  I will try your lack of tipping and see if that helps me.  I have improved a lot since my class and my pours are starting to look like something.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 3:33pm

Today I tried putting back on the stock tip instead of the chris' coffee replacement tip. I was amazed at how much the replacement tip does restrict the steam compared to the stock tip.  I did not remember it being as large a difference as it is, but I am much more comfortable at steaming now than I was when I first got my machine and replaced the tip.  I get over heated 4 oz of milk in about 10 seconds.

I did the dish soap in water trick for a while and never did get a microfoam.  I think if I am steaming lots of milk in one go, I would use the stock tip, but for doing 4oz it is just too much steam to control in too short of time.  I have turned down the pstat since I changed the tip out also. I can't imagine me trying to steam milk on the stock tip with the Pstat turned up.

Coffeenoobie

frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 2:43am

hi helen, i've finally been able to get better results using the stock 4 hole tip these days by placing the wand a few degrees from vertical and placing the tip near or in the middle of the pitcher.  Since the steam is so powerful, i dont have any problem getting the milk to texture when i sink the tip in the middle after stretching.

btw i only do small amounts of milk with the stock tip.

*off to the market i go to buy some more milk*
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 12:51pm

The 4 oz of milk are steaming so fast that I am not even sinking the wand.  I am putting it a few degrees from vertical near one side to make a whirlpool and cutting the steam off as soon as I get near 100 because it is coasting to the high 140s after I stop.  I did get an ok microfoam twice this morning doing it this way with the stock tip.  I am going to see if I can handle this tip now that I have more skills than I did a year ago.  I really like foaming the milk in 10 seconds.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:51am

Day 4 on the stock tip.  

I am getting fewer larger bubbles that were marring my otherwise fine microfoams with the reduced pressure tip.  There is much more turbulence in the milk and I believe that is smashing the large bubbles better even without full steam power.   It is over in about 10 seconds and I am stopping steaming at 100 degrees even if I did not get enough stretch because 4 oz are hot enough by then to coast to 150.  So far the wand in the middle of the 12oz pitcher is doing it and I am not even really sinking it because it is heating so fast.  Just trying to control the whirlpool to make the small sucking sounds instead of the big ones it wants to make.  The 4 oz of milk are about half an inch or so below the spout and in 10 seconds the milk is above the bottom of the spout.

Coffeenoobie

djmitchella

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 1:11pm

Easiest way to make my Oscar make nice milk is a toothpick. stick one end in one of the holes in the (stock 4-hole) steaming tip and break it off, stick the other end in the opposite hole and break it off -- voila, "pressure reducing tip".

I learned to make art with that as a helper a while ago, then went back to the full four holes and had a lot of trouble -- so I just re-restricted it, and got this first time out.   There's no particular technique I need this way, slowing things down makes it all much much easier. It's still not perfect, but it makes it a lot easier to get a reasonable pour, I only need to concentrate on pouring it right rather than dealing with uncooperative milk.

djmitchella: PB251204.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:28pm

Looks good, I have the chris' pressure reducing tip but it seems to go a bit far.  Thanks for the ideas.

Coffeenoobie

glcoffee

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Izzo Alex II
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:53am

Is Chris' Coffee reduce-pressure tip the 2 hole tip?  I, too, find this a lot easier to use than the four hole tip.

As for pouring techniques in an 8oz cup, where does one start to pour?

Lately, I am tipping my cup at a slight angle and pouring from top to bottom.  Still a less than desired result and far from a rosetta.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/images/58655/photo02.jpg

“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
C.S. Lewis, The World's Last Night
------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
I am Taiwanese.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:56pm

No, chris has 4 holes.  I guess I need to try a 2 holer.  I was taught to tip the cup and hold it well below my waist and pour much faster than I was comfortable with.  Also she said hold the handle either at you or away (6 or 12 o'clock) that makes the design at a right angle to the handle so facing the drinker - right handed 6 and left handed 12. I also use an old dinner coffee cup (1960s) that has a nicely sloped insides and no sharp edges.  I want to find a few more like it.  Who knew it was vintage and collectible when I found it in a thrift shop.

Yours is starting to look good.  Keep trying.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Steaming...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248456001282)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+