Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
crema quality for pouring latte art
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > crema quality...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 9:24am
Subject: crema quality for pouring latte art

Endo Said:

...you need a bit of time for the shot to settle and the crema to shrink if you want to do any good latte art.

Posted October 4, 2012 link

Can someone please elaborate on the crema quality needed to pour great art?  I've read many discussions on microfoam quality and do a decent job (IMO) when my microfoam comes out good, but always want to improve.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
ShooterMcGavin
ShooterMcGavin
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: N.S. Oscar
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 5:16am
Subject: Re: crema quality for pouring latte art

I've heard a lot of people say that crema is necessary to produce great latte art, but on the other hand, I've seen some excellent latte art poured in non-espresso drinks like matcha green tea, chocolate milk, and even protein shakes... (I've seen a lady pour incredible art in chocolate milk...in a paper cup)

My guess is that crema is lighter than the espresso underneath so letting it "shrink" would allow the espresso underneath to provide a better contrast to the white milk?
Anyhow, I think steaming the milk properly is waaay more important than producing crema when it comes to latte art.

Daviiid
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 5:50am

Yeah I wasnt surE I understood that statement.  I've poured latte art in shots immediately after the shot was stopped and also after most of the crema had dissipated.  Both are possible and both can turn out well.  I will say they result slightly differently, but don't know I'd ever purposely wait foe crema to dissipate prior to pouring.
Endo
Endo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 6:10am

As others have said, it can be done with both, but they will look different. If you want sharp leaf definition and contrast in a rosetta, you can't have macro bubbles in either your foam OR your shot. Both must be smooth and like velvet. Swirling the shot in the latte cup so the crema bubbles break on the cup walls helps a lot if your coffee is very fresh or your machine very bubbly ( like when using a bottomless PF).

Adding a small amount of foam first and then swirling, before pouring art breaks up bubbles and provides a more uniform background for the art foam as well.

If you just pour right away, you can still get art. Blobby art mostly (like hearts and hostas) rather than a fern with several leaves.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 11:34am

Endo Said:

As others have said, it can be done with both, but they will look different. If you want sharp leaf definition and contrast in a rosetta, you can't have macro bubbles in either your foam OR your shot. Both must be smooth and like velvet. Swirling the shot in the latte cup so the crema bubbles break on the cup walls helps a lot if your coffee is very fresh or your machine very bubbly ( like when using a bottomless PF).

Adding a small amount of foam first and then swirling, before pouring art breaks up bubbles and provides a more uniform background for the art foam as well.

If you just pour right away, you can still get art. Blobby art mostly (like hearts and hostas) rather than a fern with several leaves.

Posted October 6, 2012 link

I understand your points, and thank you (and the others) for answering.

Endo Said:

Posted October 6, 2012 link

This part of the statement certainly hasn't been my experience at all.  I've always poured right away (other than swirling the milk briefly) and most of the time can get a very nice, although not as sharp as I'd like, rosetta with many leaves that even have nice "crema veins".  I'm going to assess my crema bubbles before pouring (maybe even swirl it too) - at least for a while - and see if that improves my edge sharpness.

Spankee1670

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:09am

Does the tempeture make a difference,if so where should it be at?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 5:02pm

there's a frothing guide under the "guides & how-tos" section  (on the green bar above).

basic milk temp "landmarks" are:

1) stretch until 100 degrees F, or slightly less
2) roll until somewhere in the 135-150 degree F range (depending on your preferences)
3) texture on the counter, then pour

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 3:05pm

I will try swirling the cup before hand, I do use a naked so have lots of bubbles in my espresso.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
enotslim

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Estro Vapore/bottomless...
Grinder: Hario Skeleton Coffee Mill
Posted Fri Jul 4, 2014, 5:41am

When I swirl the espresso the crema tends to become more separated from the espresso below to the point that the "pallete" for pouring latte art becomes a disc of crema floating on a sea of espresso. Total disaster. Suggestions? Using bottomless portafilter. Thanks.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > crema quality...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272316932678)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+