Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Espro Toroid 12oz pitcher,help!
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Espro Toroid...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 3:17pm
Subject: Re: Espro Toroid 12oz pitcher,help!

Butterfinger_414 Said:

so guys any recommendation for a type of pitcher to used for steaming milk, I'm leaning toward for a motta pitcher any thoughts?

Posted April 19, 2012 link

I've been using Motta Europas for several years and really like them a lot.  Their spout is great for pouring art, and they are really sturdy thick walled high grade stainless.  I get a great vortex in them.

I tried the toroid for a while and didn't like it much at all.  I felt like the technique was to hold it level and let it do the work, and I wanted to be a "barista", not a pitcher holder.

With the Europas, I was getting awesome microfoam even on a Silvia v1 with the articulating wand mod.  I upgraded to a Duetto II last December and my microfoam suffered considerably from inadequate incorporation of the foam and hot milk layers - until I modified my wand - all is back to awesome again.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 10:51am

I have been working with my toroid about a month. I am a long way from perfect or happy with it but so far the best microfoam happens when I put in milk about 1/2" or a bit more below the start of the bell curve.  Then stretch till it gets to the top of the curve then sink the wand. IMO, The main problem with the toroid is if you get too much foam it gets into the narrow neck of the pitcher so doesn't get in the rolling milk in the bell bottom of the pitcher when you sink the wand.  I have been going by volume for sinking not temp. Often my temps are low at the right volume.  If I wait till 100 I end up with foam in the neck that doesn't mix right.  Mostly with this pitcher, I have been getting lovely tight bubbled Meringue foams that even stand up in the spoon.  I am not talking dishwater, it really does look like a perfect glossy Meringue.  (and I know Meringue)

I would love to try that Milk to Perfection pitcher.  I want an easy to use pitcher so I can pour and steam at the same time.  My Oscar can both at the same time, I just can't seem to handle it if the milk takes too much attention.  Also, if it is fool proof I might be able to get my husband to do it when I am not around or maybe even make a drink for me for a change.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
danjed

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012, 7:03am

I have had zero luck with this pitcher, in fact, I mastered using a regular pitcher and have gotten far better results.
Butterfinger_414
Butterfinger_414
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Andreja
Grinder: Robur E
Roaster: Popper 1
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 9:52am

now my problem is pouring a latte art,some say that toroid pitcher is hard to pour a latte art because of spout how they design it,is these true?or still my steam milk not velvety enough to pour a latte art?

Brent *_*
morik

Espresso: QM67/Twist
Grinder: Vario-W/Preciso/SlimMill
Drip: V60/AeroPress
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 12:07pm

I tried the Espro pitchers and did not like the spout nor did I find it improved my steaming significantly compared to my cheap Rattleware pitchers, and also have noticed that most of my local cafes all use them as well very successfully. I resolved that the problem was not equipment but me, and now practice by buying the cheapest fresh roasted beans I can find and a gallon of milk weekly to just to practice art.
nygel74

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 9:20am

i gotta say, I just received my 20 oz and am pleased as punch.  I recently made the switch from a silvia to a HX machine with a 4 hole tip and my milk was terrible.  I put on a one hold expobar tip, and filled up the espro and viola, it worked like a charm.  Poured a nice little rosetta the first time i tried it.   I agree that mastering the technique is something I am still working on, and now with the different tip I am sure I will improve a bit, but in the morning when I just want to give a wonderful cappa to my partner, this is the thing. just my .02!!!!!

nygel74
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 4:38pm

I used the toroid a couple times.. Its not my cup of tea, but if your machine has at least decent steaming power, if you follow their instructions, it works pretty well.

Me?  I keep a couple different kinds of pitcher in my freezer...

I like Motto Europa pitchers.  It might sound silly to spend extra for a steaming pitcher, but THESE pitchers, aren't chintzy.  They've heavy gauge stainless, with a handle design that is ideal for both holding during steaming, or for pouring art.  And the spout is extremely exxagerated, so its very easy to get it INTO that cup when pouring.

No doubt, my favorite pitchers are Motto Europa.  They comes in off sizes though.  I suggest the 12oz and 16oz.  Even latte drinkers won't need more than the 16oz, its nice sized for pouring into a 12oz latte cup.  The 12oz pitcher is perfect for the traditional capp, and bigger 7-8oz drinks.  AWESOME for latte art, I can pour ridiculous rosettas with these pitchers in the bigger cup sizes.

Second favorite is Cafelat.  Ive got the .4l and .7l(I think its 13oz and 25oz)  They have a unique shape that, for steaming, is wonderful, but took some time to get used to for pouring.  But they're awesome.  And the current ones are even nicer, they're polished.  Mine are brushed.  I can't pour good rosettas with these pitchers, but I can make BOSS hearts and apples.

Third is my old standy.  Classic, straight walled, pointed spout, "Update International" frothing pitchers.  Classic 12oz and 20oz.  Every Cafe has tons of these, you've seen them Im sure.(Rattleware makes a slightly upgraded version with a better spout).  Nice and thin, so you can feel the temp changes easily and quickly.  Good spout for pouring latte art, and it has a design which doesn't "influence" the milk.  Whatever kind of roll you like to acheive, you can.  Some pitchers prefer you spin the milk, others prefer you to roll the milk vertically, others want a pure vortex.  THESE pitchers, don't care.  Do whatever.   I learned how to make microfoam and pour art with these pitchers, so while they might be as nice as the other ones, they still are in my freezer.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 1:08am

I have a Toroid pitcher, but I'm more likely to use my Rattleware handleless 12 oz macchiato pitcher or one of the other no-name pitchers I've picked up.  I can steam milk OK with the Toroid, but it's really designed for the steam wand to be facing straight down to take advantage of the base shape to set up the toroidal flow, and my Gaggia Factory steam wand is at an angle which makes it easier to texture milk with regular pitchers.

I picked up the Toroid thinking it would make texturing and pouring milk much easier, but now I feel that for my equipment it was a wash.  What really helped was a latte art class at the Barefoot Coffee Roasters location in Santa Clara that turned into the Chromatic Coffee retail location.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:11pm

I agree!  I have both pitchers and love them!  It is sooooooo easy to make micro foam with these . . . even with my Silvia!  I agree, that certain milk brands do work better than others . . .

nygel74 Said:

i gotta say, I just received my 20 oz and am pleased as punch.  I recently made the switch from a silvia to a HX machine with a 4 hole tip and my milk was terrible.  I put on a one hold expobar tip, and filled up the espro and viola, it worked like a charm.  Poured a nice little rosetta the first time i tried it.   I agree that mastering the technique is something I am still working on, and now with the different tip I am sure I will improve a bit, but in the morning when I just want to give a wonderful cappa to my partner, this is the thing. just my .02!!!!!

nygel74

Posted March 27, 2013 link

nbmac

Espresso: Andreja Premium, Cremina
Grinder: VPharos, Lido2
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 2:38pm

I've also had a lot of trouble with the 12oz toroid (I make perfect microfoam with my cheapo normal pitcher, but I liked the way the way the toroid looked).  I'm using an andreja with a 2-hole tip, and perhaps it has something to do with the number of holes?

Nicholas
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Espro Toroid...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260887145996)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+