Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Black  Stuff
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Black  Stuff  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JumpingPerson

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Feb 19, 2009, 11:57am
Subject: Black  Stuff

Hello people of the forum. I just received a Pavoni espresso machine through ebay. The inside of the boiler smells gross and is covered by black stuff that I can scrape with a finger nail. Can anyone recommend a cleaning method?
 View Profile Link to this post
JumpingPerson

Posted Thu Feb 19, 2009, 12:12pm
Subject: Re: Black  Stuff

Yuck! I think I may need to clean out most of the internal parts! Even the glass meter has gunk in it. When I filled up the boiler, the water had floaters on top. Also the included printout manual doesn't seem to make note of there being two switches, it only mentions a single switch and a green light. What do I do with both switches? Also there doesn't seem to be a provided coffee press. They seem to come in many sizes from online vendors. Can anyone guess what size I am looking for? In addition, is steam supposed to constantly  exhaust from the safety valve, even after the machine is turned off? This thing wont stop hissing loudly, even with the steamer turned off. Do I need some new seals?
Thanks
David
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Thu Feb 19, 2009, 2:55pm

Descale the unit
for press you mean tamper?
if you like you can see my web page
the safety valve will keep blowing if you keep the machine on position 2 untill you move back to 1

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JumpingPerson

Posted Thu Feb 19, 2009, 10:03pm

Thank you for your reply. I visited your website and it looks like it has some excellent accessories. I will surely be making a purchase online soon. I found out the tamper I need is a 4.9cm, and that they are not extremely common on the internet as some of the larger sizes. I removed much of the black stuff by filling the machine with vinegar 5%. I decided to give it a preliminary try at this point, despite not having a grinder that that grind small enough for espresso (I'll be ordering a LeLit from your store this weekend) The piston chamber wouldn't fill up very much, that is one pump was not nearly enough for a 1oz shot. 3 or 4 full pumps is closer. The brew I made was foul and borderline poisonous, bitter, oily, metallic, nothing like good espresso. I hope this changes when I get some fresh beans and a good grind.
David
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Black  Stuff  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.178312063217)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+