Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
La Pavoni descale with vinegar?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > La Pavoni...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
victoriacoffees
victoriacoffees
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Izzo Pompei
Grinder: Compak K8 Fresh; Mythos...
Roaster: Ambex 15K; Hottop
Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 8:18am
Subject: Re: La Pavoni descale with vinegar?

Vinegar is fine but slow requires more rinsing time. We use citric acide when descaling machines in house, where we completely dissassemble parts for soaking. Parts look beautiful in just a few hours.

So far, we have not had issues with blockage on any descaled part.

-John
www.victoriacoffees.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dougiedd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 11:52am

I notice that The Original Manual says DO NOT USE VINEGAR

I use it and it works but i imagine the seals might suffer
 View Profile Link to this post
insatiableOne

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LaPavoni Stradivari...
Grinder: Rosco Mini ,Baratza Maestro...
Drip: De'Longhi
Roaster: Behmor 1600 Plus
Posted Tue Jun 3, 2014, 5:18am

dougiedd Said:

I notice that The Original Manual says DO NOT USE VINEGAR

I use it and it works but i imagine the seals might suffer

Posted February 16, 2014 link

My manual for my Stradivari states to clean it out with Calcium Carbonate. By using two teaspoons dissolved fully in water, then pour into the boiler.

Alternatively, instead of using bicarbonate, prepare in a container a solution of water with a tablespoon of white vinegar and pour it into the boiler.

^^^ is what they want you to use for"commissioning". pg 33

decalcification :by using a specific softeners that can be found on sale. pg 44
( so that was real specific now wasn't it ).
DavecUK

Posted Tue Jun 3, 2014, 7:12am

crazy4espresso Said:

Where small passages are blocked with Calcium Carbonate, if you use Citric acid you'll be replacing it with an insoluble Calcium Citrate, and then you're really screwed.  Vinegar is the preferred descaler in those instances. I always use an acetic acid solution when I have accessible boilers that can be easily rinsed and where I suspect there are very small passages requiring descaling.  I've never had my machines smell or taste like a salad with proper rinsing.

Posted February 3, 2014 link

Oh my god the misinformation and lack of knowledge is incredible. Citric acid is a very good descaler for espresso machines. The only improvements are made with specially buffered solutions which reduce copper leeching.
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 12:09pm

DavecUK Said:

Oh my god the misinformation and lack of knowledge is incredible. Citric acid is a very good descaler for espresso machines. The only improvements are made with specially buffered solutions which reduce copper leeching.

Posted June 3, 2014 link

I guess you won't go so far as to explain why I'm wrong, probably because you have no idea what you are talking about. Calcium citrate is fairly insoluble in water, and it's not something you want in small passages (e.g pressurestat tubes). I use citric acid as well, but not in all applications.

2C6H8O7 + 3CaCO3 = Ca3(C6H5O7)2 + 3CO2 + 3H2O
DavecUK

Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 1:47pm

crazy4espresso Said:

I guess you won't go so far as to explain why I'm wrong, probably because you have no idea what you are talking about. Calcium citrate is fairly insoluble in water, and it's not something you want in small passages (e.g pressurestat tubes). I use citric acid as well, but not in all applications.

2C6H8O7 + 3CaCO3 = Ca3(C6H5O7)2 + 3CO2 + 3H2O

Posted June 4, 2014 link

I wouldn't waste my time...you carry on using what you want...when you actually understand the chemistry properly and what's going on, you will realise you don't need to worry.
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 2:11pm

DavecUK Said:

I wouldn't waste my time...you carry on using what you want...when you actually understand the chemistry properly and what's going on, you will realise you don't need to worry.

Posted June 4, 2014 link

Typical..., just typical.

This is a forum where we exchange information, and if warranted challenge information by providing EVIDENCE and engaging in intellectual scientific debates.  I can accept being wrong, but if you are going to accuse me of spreading misinformation, you better be prepared to back your claims and provide sound reasoning as to why my assertions are invalid.

So Calcium Citrate is not a problem in small passage ways in an espresso machine? PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY!!
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 3:02pm

I use citric acid on my own La Pavoni, but I do know about the issue with citric acid and creation of insoluble compounds that can foul up the pstat & tube.

If my La Pavoni was heavily scaled I'd probably disassemble and descale in a bucket, but that's me.  At that same time I could put the pstat tube  in vinegar solution and fill the pstat with the same.  You could also leave it intact and pour only enough vinegar in to cover the bottom and descale the pstat connection that way first.  Once descaled there follow that with citric acid and you should be safe from insoluble compound creation where you can't get to it.

My La Pavoni has a clean tube, very little scale, and so I don't have any concern using citric acid in my own.  A professional descaler solution would be even better though.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > La Pavoni...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277414083481)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+