Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Caferina User Manual Translation
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Caferina User...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun May 9, 2010, 10:17am
Subject: Caferina User Manual Translation

Thanks to fellow CG members Hollis Call and Stefano Cremonesi and my friend Genoveva Bueno, I am posting a translation of the original Caferina users manual. The manual was in a boxed Caferina that Hollis found, and he graciously scanned it and sent it to me. I then had Genoveva and Stefano do the translations. It is a PDF document with the translations in sticky notes. I presume any copyright for this has expired, since this machine was not made after 1962. If you know differently, please contact me.

THis is likely just an artifact, as the usage instructions are no different than the Europiccola, but I found it interesting. It also reveals the name of the company which made the Caferina. What seems unknown is whether this company or La Pavoni were the original patent holders for the design, and whether this machine was made under license of La Pavoni or whether La Pavoni bought the design from Piero Diamante...

The document can be downloaded from: Click Here (dl.dropbox.com) (4.8 MB)

dana_leighton: caferinamanual.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
drgary

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Baby Lusso Caravel Coffex...
Grinder: Pharos, Rio Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Heat Gun/Bread Machine,...
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 12:41am
Subject: Re: Caferina User Manual Translation

Dana,

Thank you for this wonderful contribution on the history of these machines. La Pavoni doesn't name Piero Diamante in their account of the Europiccola. I wonder if they bought his company to produce their home levers?

Earlier this year I was fortunate to score what may be a prototype of the Europiccola. It has no serial number on the group, only a tiny 1 is stamped there. Otherwise it looks like a Caferina with a La Pavoni badge.

What's been your experience with your Caferina? I haven't yet used EP1 because servicing it is postponed by our upcoming move to Washington state.

drgary: EP1overheadsm.jpg
(Click for larger image)
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 8:34am

drgary Said:

What's been your experience with your Caferina? I haven't yet used EP1 because servicing it is postponed by our upcoming move to Washington state.

Posted April 2, 2014 link

Gary,

I am reposting here my email to you about it.

It is, like all machines that have the group directly connected to the boiler, subject to overheating. All of the suggestions for the EP work well. I kept a moist fowl in the freezer while making a shot, and applied it following 2 consecutive shots. That seemed to cool it down enough. I also used the contact thermometer that many people use to gauge the group temperature. Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

Disassembly of the group requires a special tool. OE sells it: Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com) - I had one built by a machine shop for a few dollars more than OE, but I imagine their tool is much better. OE can help with all the seals and gaskets.

There are instructions for restoring Bakelite on the internet - yours looks pretty good. Auto parts stores sell chrome polish. The bottom rubber will be oxidized a little. I did not do much to restore it.

I replaced the power cord with 3-conductor grounded cord, and replaced all the old wiring underneath. I also installed the new thermal fuse (OE used to sell but doesn't, ask Doug), and Doug made me a small brass strip to hold it in place.

The mini pliers for removing the clips are great as well Click Here (www.harborfreight.com)

Doug also used to sell a plastic sleeve for helping install the seals but I don't see it on his site any more.

Not sure if you've seen this - photos from the original and rebuilt.
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4JtdOXmJHzXTx

Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 9:40am

dana_leighton Said:

I kept a moist fowl in the freezer while making a shot, and applied it following 2 consecutive shots. That seemed to cool it down enough.

Posted April 8, 2014 link

I hadn't thought of that!  I've tried almost everything else...

:)

Buckley
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 9:59am

dana_leighton Said:

I kept a moist fowl in the freezer while making a shot, and applied it following 2 consecutive shots.

Posted April 8, 2014 link

I forgot to mention, do not be alarmed when the fowl squawks like hell.

LOL! I meant "towel"!

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Caferina User...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251229047775)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+