Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
67/11 Cremina Mods
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > 67/11 Cremina...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Endo
Endo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sun Nov 13, 2011, 4:53pm
Subject: 67/11 Cremina Mods

Added the OE gasket rebuild kit, new 2011 vac cap, 2011 steam wand and 2011 portafilter (cut bottomess). Pretty much everything I can add and still be able to revert back to stock '77 if ever needed.

Now on to the toughest part....temperature management.

The OE temp strip turned out to be useless, since it starts at only 194FC (too high). Ideally, someone will make a sweet little stainless remote grouphead thermometer (with a removable "spring band" type attachment to the grouphead)... but until then, my yellow monster will have to do. (Note the equilibrium idle grouphead temp of 192F).

Not exactly what I'm looking for...but has anyone tried attaching a Icelsius to their machine?

http://www.icelsius.com/

Endo: 2011-11-13 003 (640x493).jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
tek

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Changes daily
Grinder: Kafa-Tek Monolith
Posted Sun Nov 13, 2011, 7:18pm
Subject: Re: 67/11 Cremina Mods

Check out my two posts on HB:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

www.10000shots.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
samuellaw178
samuellaw178

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Sun Nov 13, 2011, 8:22pm

As mentioned by Dennis in the thread, a temp strip with lower range was suggested at 60-90C range. That's because around 70c was shown to give the best brewing temp.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=RLC-50&Nav=temf01

I am looking forward Dennis' result before deciding to get one since he already had one order in. And with Cremina, precise temperature ain't that crucial so I could still survive without one. Having one though probably would make my life more perfect. :P I hope it worked out.
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011, 5:04am

The 60-90C would work only for the warm-up and first shot, after that, it would be too low a range. Although adding both the 60-90 and 90-120 would work.

Still, these strips are not precise enough for my liking as I've been trying to estimate the shot temp differential between the grouphead thermocouple shown (T1) and a DIY Cremina Scace (T2) at different warm-up times (a little like what Dennis was doing).
tek

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011, 6:37am

Endo Said:

The 60-90C would work only for the warm-up and first shot, after that, it would be too low a range.

Posted November 14, 2011 link

Not true in my experiments. I did detailed studies with espresso temperature measurements that you can read about in that thread and 90C is top of top of the range. You'd be brewing at about 205F-210F...

www.10000shots.com
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011, 11:59am

Depends on strip placement.

I'm using a modified Scace basket for my shot temps so I'm pretty sure of my accuracy.

My grouphead is currently stabilizing at 89C at a spot 1" up from the bottom of the grouphead and will overshoot this quite a bit during the shot itself.

If using the strips, I'd use both strips and splice them togther to get the full range.

But I've decided the large 5C increments and awkward color indication make it a very poor indicator. I'm not interested in a mood ring.
tek

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011, 12:16pm

There is no huge diference where you place your strip on group head straight part above the bottom bell. Certainly there is no difference that would require getting the group up to 90C to pull shot. Not in any of my tests and I did lot of them. Unless that is, you are running your Cremina below 0.7 bars at the top of the pstat!

You need to test your brew temperatures instead. See how I did it in my thread on HB. Then and only then you could come up with conclusions regarding the group-head temperature as it relates to shot temperature. Without that its all guessing and there is no value in it...

www.10000shots.com
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011, 3:21pm

As you say in your own conclusion:

"Ideal strip for Cremina should start at 65C/149F and go up to 100C."

So which is it? 90C or 100C?

As I said, I have both group head thermocouple AND a Scace and can form my own conclusions. Personally I find the 90C +/- 5C grouphead range very useful so if I ever go back to a strip (which is unlikely), I'd splice ranges.
tek

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011, 3:28pm

90C is the top.

I know you have Scace. Did you use it to measure actual brew temperature. Not group-head temperature, but espresso brew temperature? Unless you have done that you do not know how group head temperature relates to brew temperature and I don't know what are you basing your claims on. I'd love to see your data that show how group head temperature and boiler pressure relates to brew temperature. Looking forward to it.

www.10000shots.com
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011, 4:33pm

By design, a Scace is a brew measurement device. I also have a second thermocouple attached to the grouphead. I sometimes have access to a datalogger but unfortunately it's at work right now and I only have my cheap Chinese E-bay meter at home (with no logging capability). It does have both a T1 and T2 input as well as T1-T2 function so I was toggling between both thermocouples and lookng at differences using the T1-T2.

I have been holding off buying a dedicated datalogger since I  think these things will soon become obsolete as there seem to be more and more USB thermocouple devices available with free datalogging apps I can run off my laptop. I've been looking at the Icelsius for $37 and I may try to build that into my current DIY Scace. When I do I'll post the results.

Sorry, I'd post these comments on H-B to add to the discussion, but 1st admendment rights seem to have been suspended over at H-B, at least for certain jokers like me. LOL. So I'll just post the graphs on my blog (or here) if you are interested.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > 67/11 Cremina...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266110897064)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+