Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Bosco or Voctoria Arduino Athena Leva
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Bosco or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
x1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 8:29pm
Subject: Bosco or Voctoria Arduino Athena Leva

Last upgrade I will ever do time.  Need some advice.  Anyone with experience using either. I'm looking for the 2-grp. Each is a simple machine with few electronics.  I like that. Fewer things to go wrong.

As a result a '91 Olympia Cremina will be coming available in a few months.  I'll make sure this forum gets first crack.

Cheers
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Nov 6, 2011, 1:30pm
Subject: Re: Bosco or Voctoria Arduino Athena Leva

I have not used either, so feel free to ignore my thoughts.  That said, should you need repairs/parts, I would think the Victoria Arduino, imported (owned?) by Nuova Simonelli, would be significantly easier.  On the other hand, I have loved every shot I've ever had on a BOSCO, so how handy are you at DIY?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
x1

Posted Sun Nov 6, 2011, 7:05pm

for better or worse I have bought the two group Sorrento :)  Arrives in 45 - 60 days.

Both the Canadian Districbutor and the store in Seattle can provide parts.  i think it is something i will worry about in 5 - 10 years, at the rate I will be pulling shots  ...
docdvm

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Giotto, Cremina
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Versalab
Drip: Bunn VP-17
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Mon Nov 7, 2011, 9:08pm

Could I ask where you bought the Sorrento? I also live in Canada
x1

Posted Mon Nov 7, 2011, 9:41pm

Douglas Squarek <douglassquarek@hotmail.com> at Uptempo Coffee
docdvm

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Giotto, Cremina
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Versalab
Drip: Bunn VP-17
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Tue Nov 8, 2011, 7:33pm

Doug seems like a standup guy. Honest and very helpful. Certainly the Bosco is a sizable expense for a hobbyist. Likely the last machine you should need but not necessarily want. Now that espresso shot is getting ore and more expensive. Worth it?

I too would like a Bosco and will be contacting doug as soon as a few personal issues get resolved. That may be next year though. Wish I did not have to wait but it will give me time to get your feedback on the machine and the taste of your espresso.
x1

Posted Tue Nov 8, 2011, 9:00pm

Definitely. And Douglas seems like a really straight up guy!

We're renovating the kitchen dining room, and living room.  I was able to slip it in without much argument.  I am old school.  I wanted a machines as simple as possible and I love the lever! And it helps that my wife loves my coffee as much as me!

Cheers,
beanflying
beanflying
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: 7 of them
Grinder: 10+
Vac Pot: 15+ I think
Drip: 6 or so
Roaster: several
Posted Fri Nov 11, 2011, 4:27am

If I was buying new and based on what I have found go the Izzo Pompei over the 2 your looking at.

The 55mm groups are a good thing in the flavour department and I am fairly sure my Fioranzato share the Arduino groups with some others.

Lever Junkie Izzo 3grp, Fioranzato 1grp, Z9 2grp, Cimbali and a Pavoni. 15'ish Siphons plus to much other stuff
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Nov 11, 2011, 9:28am

beanflying Said:

The 55mm groups are a good thing in the flavour department . . .

Posted November 11, 2011 link

And how precisely would you describe the impact of a 55mm group "in the flavour department," as opposed to a 54mm group, or a 57 or 58mm group -- or even the 49mm group favored by Olympia in their Cremina lever machines?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
beanflying
beanflying
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: 7 of them
Grinder: 10+
Vac Pot: 15+ I think
Drip: 6 or so
Roaster: several
Posted Fri Nov 11, 2011, 6:41pm

Below is a modified version of something I wrote a while back elsewhere relating to PF sizes and it has only been confirmed the longer I have used smaller baskets. This pseudo slavish devotion to 58mm bears a lot more investigation to see if smaller really is better or just different but to stick to 58's because most do is not the right answer.

Best not to drag the smaller home levers (Pav, Cimbali and even the Cremina etc) into the discussion on commercial levers as they are in a whole different boat. Still very worthy of separate discussion but the OP is after a large lever.

Group design plays a large part in the lever shot quality and goes to the temperature stability is it a HX group like the new little Bezzera or say a Z9 or is it a dipper tube like the Izzo, Fioranzato or a lot of the other modern ones.

The Izzo group for example runs best to my palette at 1.05 Bar while the 1 grp Fioranzato was borderline burning the coffee at that point.  To get the shot temperature back to something acceptable I am now running back at .9-.95. Depending on the ambient temperature your operating in a heating flush is sometimes a good idea after long idle periods too. By this I mean one group is not the same as the other.

As below sweeter and better clarity is the principle difference with the smaller PF's to my taste at least. And as above I would seriously look at the Izzo (think Chris Coffee in the US carries them? )

"Domestic machines use all sorts of sizes from 45mm to 58mm
Commercial machines use 53mm to 58 mm, havn't seen a smaller one but I will no doubt be corrected  

Channelling issues smaller diameter PF's are easier to get close to level than the more open 58mm ones. So distribution and level tamps are less of a worry factor on smaller ones.

Shot Quality is a consideration, it has been mooted in some circles that smaller portafilters give a sweeter result, this is a whole can of worms and worthy of it's own thread I reckon. Della Corte and GS3's are some current examples of 53 or 55mm PF's I think and are some of the best machines in the world.

Some of the tiny diameter PF's are on 50-60's lever machines and were designed for smaller shot sizes than the generally accepted commercial volumes.

Why 58 and not 55 or 60 or ??? I suspect this "standard" goes back to the 50's or early 60's and has become a defacto standard. And I suspect some manufacturers have got into a rut of sorts rather than try new things (flame suit is on).

Apart from that I have been a happy user and owner of 51, 53 and 55mm PF's"

Lever Junkie Izzo 3grp, Fioranzato 1grp, Z9 2grp, Cimbali and a Pavoni. 15'ish Siphons plus to much other stuff
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Bosco or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238929033279)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+