Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
2 switch La Pavoni Professional
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > 2 switch La...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
beerwiffle
beerwiffle
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '76,'94 europiccola
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Poppery II - Hot Rod
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 11:02pm
Subject: 2 switch La Pavoni Professional

As far as I looked, I haven't seen anyone do this kind of mod.

A little background:
I accidentally bought a '76 europiccola in need of some serious TLC, and while I was waiting for that one to arrive I bought a '77 pro locally for 300$. All it needed was a descale and some gaskets. Fast forward a couple weeks--I bought a '94 europiccola that made 3 espressos and just sat on a counter. Then on a whim I bought another abused europiccola cheaply. After further examination, this last machine was a '76 model, but the heating element was in pristine condition and bore a date in the 80s. I am seriously considering just using it for a parts machine--having an extra group head around for easy biweekly-monthly dow111 re-lubings, and then for the pro: switching out the pstat for a 2 switch model.

Am I crazy for wanting to change my pavoni pro into a 2 switch model?
 View Profile Link to this post
hankbates
hankbates

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional...
Grinder: LaPavoni Jolly
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 7:32am
Subject: Re: 2 switch La Pavoni Professional

If the heating element and the pstat are both working on the pro, I would leave it alone, saving the parts machine as backup.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have used both single switch and dual switch machines, and see only disadvantages in turning switches on and off not only to maintain temperature but also to keep from boiling all the water out.....

If I ever needed to replace the single pro element with the double, I would even consider keeping the pstat in (drill and tap a hole in the center of the element to mount it).  This would combine the ability to provide low heat input when and if ever actually required, with the ease of operation of the pstat.
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 8:09pm

I've considered putting a two stage heating element in a pro, or otherwise swapping a pro boiler into a Europiccola.  Given the quantity of machines you have I think it's worth exploring.  Do you have prefer the two switch operation to the pstat?  You might want to pay attention to any differences in the tuning of the relief valves.

What I would like to see is a Pro with three modes: low, high, high w/ pstat

N.B.
It's nice to see someone else on the forum with the tendency to purchase large numbers of La Pavonis.  Last week I was at 5, now I'm down to 3.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
beerwiffle
beerwiffle

Espresso: '76,'94 europiccola
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Poppery II - Hot Rod
Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012, 4:07pm

I do prefer the 2 switch. With the pstat, I have to time my shot pulling because with a .2 bar band--I don't want it kicking on in the middle. As far as conversions go, the only difference between the pressure reliefs is the spring, which I have. Just in having so many machines--they are all fundamentally the same, but they have different personalities. I was just looking to have the best of all worlds.

It just feels more natural on a manual machine for the user to be the ultimate gauge of temperature/pressure control. Partially this thread was started because I want to get down to 2 main machines (usually whichever one has water in it) and keep one for parts. I am just torn which one needs a new home.
askez

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Olympia cremina, La pavonie,...
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 4:38pm

Hi,
Did you made the switch change?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > 2 switch La...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.198220014572)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+