Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
slight issue with older Olympia Cremina
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > slight issue...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
scottyg514
scottyg514
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano, la...
Grinder: Macap m4 stepless doser
Roaster: Iroast 2
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2012, 4:41pm
Subject: slight issue with older Olympia Cremina

hi all,
found an old Cremina (1979) on Craigslist for $115. pluged it in & warmed it up & it was leaking alot out of the top & bottom of the group. Ordered all the parts i needed from Orphan Espresso.
Changed &/or cleaned everything in the group.
Seems to be working good eccept, when i raise the lever up to let water flow through the despersion screen, without the portafilter there, the steaming water is coming out with alot of sizzle sounds &  shooting off the walls of the bottom inside of the bell, as opposed to a nice uniformed shower just out of the screen. I know i did the repairs right, so im thinking the problem might be either i didnt sit the screen right & some water is shooting out of the side of the screen shooting onto the inside walls of the bell
or
can it be that the thermastat is too hot & the overheated steamy water is shooting everywhere after in comes through the screen?

I hope i've explained this right.
thanks Scott
 View Profile Link to this post
johnmc

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012, 3:56am
Subject: Re: slight issue with older Olympia Cremina

Scott,
Mine does the same without a loaded portafilter ( as did the previous one) and makes great coffee.
The only thing that matters is the taste of the coffee - if it tastes good there is nothing wrong.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
scottyg514
scottyg514

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012, 4:17pm

thanks for the response.
Is it possible that the temp. is too high causing what seems a combination of spraying water & steam through the dispersion screen.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012, 10:10pm

Scotty, warm up the machine, bleed the steam wand when the light goes out the first time, and maybe flushed water through the group twice (2 up and down strokes).
Grind, distribute, lock 'er in, open the steam valve again to cycle the boiler. When the light goes out, wait 6 counts, slowly lift the lever...and pray.
No, kidding!
Pull the shot with even pressure downward, lightening up starting about halfway down.
When done, does the shot have a dark circle around it?
If not, chances are, you're stat is not set too high.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
scottyg514
scottyg514

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 2:08pm

Thanks rob , I'll try that.

It's just the water (all the time after warm up) is so hot, it's spitting all over the place when coming through the group, with major sizzling sounds with no PF in placw.It really seems like its half water, half steam coming out.
There's all new group seals, so there's no leaks
It just seems to me that the water is super heated.
Will adjusting the thermostat help possibly? I never  did this before, being that I just got the machine.
I know there's a wheel on the themo to turn. Do I turn it clockwise or counter clockwise looking down at it to lower the temp.?
Thanks Scott
kitt2000
kitt2000
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Lambro,
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Gene cafe
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 7:10pm

The only way to know for sure if its running too hot is to make a shot with it.Water from any lever machine will be too hot without a portafilter in place.When you pull a shot, the water sits in the grouphead alot longer and cools down to the appropriate temp.Also doing alot of flushes without the portafilter in place is not reccommended once the machine is up to temp, as you will overheat the grouphead.
By the way - $115 for a Cremina, thats a crazy bargain.I bet you've made alot of people jealous ;-)
scottyg514
scottyg514

Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 5:22am

Thanks kitt.
That makes sense .
The only thing is I have a La Pavoni pro as well & the water doesn't come out nearly as bubbling as it does with the Cremina with no portafilters in place. I wonder if it has something to do with that pressure relief valve on the top of the la pavoni?
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 8:28am

Might be worth getting a [ Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com) wand pressure gauge or the boiler cap gauge. The group temp strips OE sells can also be useful while getting used to working with a cremina.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
genecounts

Espresso: LaSpaz, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Zass, Baratza Vario,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 9:32am

Scott:

I have a very old Cremina.  In fact 671042, ie., 42nd one made.  Also had lots of probs.  I had ordered the temp strips from OE and they helped but didn't solve my temp probs.  The $100 infrared Thermapen helped but didn't solve.   What really helped after much spinning of wheels was ordering a calibrated thermometer from Eric.  The best $20+ I spent on straightening out the cluster???? that haunted this Cremina.

Mounting the probe at the back of the portafiter in the vee area gives one precise knowledge of temp flowing into group.
PM me and I will give you Eric's  E-mail.  I would post here if was sure he wouldn't mind.  genecounts at verizon dot net

g

ps:  I ended up sending the Cremina to Doug at OE and he added a screw to Pstat(which had been mounted backwards) and did a lot of tuning and rewiring for me.  
      The Pstat had been pivoting under pressure with only 1 of 2 screws and scewing up the temp.  Overheating actually melted my wiring.
      Got his wand so I can tweak temps in future.
      Good luck!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 7:49pm

scottyg514 Said:

Thanks kitt.
That makes sense .
The only thing is I have a La Pavoni pro as well & the water doesn't come out nearly as bubbling as it does with the Cremina with no portafilters in place. I wonder if it has something to do with that pressure relief valve on the top of the la pavoni?

Posted August 2, 2012 link

They are different animals with different groups and how they are incorporated on the machine.
That said, you may have a stuck or inoperative stat, due to rust or calcium deposits.
Open your cremina when cold, remove the side panels and take a GOOD look at your stat. Is there rust? Crud? Does the knurled "nut" turn freely.

A good solution would be to purchase the very inexpensive pressure gauge from Orphan Espresso. It's like $25. I have one. Ezey peezy.
Just fits over the steam wand, and thou can see what the machine is putting out. Watch it cycle. It should cycle somewhere around .8 low, to .95 when the boiler light is on. That is a good "median" setting, assuring both proper temperature for shots, and enough pressure for steaming.
If you're reading to high after 2-3 cycles, then adjust the nut CLOCKWISE (the nut will be lowered, reducing pressure/temperature.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > slight issue...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264436006546)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+