Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
slight issue with older Olympia Cremina
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > slight issue...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 7:50pm
Subject: Re: slight issue with older Olympia Cremina

Whoops ed, I somehow missed your post. MY BAD. :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Cafedenda

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Wega Conical, Mazzer SJ
Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 1:34pm

I also experienced water shooting out the side of the screen, I found that the screen was not installed deep or tight enough onto the cylinder.  The screen on mine is really really tight and I couldn't feel the usual snap that most owners should feel when snapping the screen back on.  From a side view, I saw that the screen was not level to the group head.  What I did was to use the bottom of my flat tamper to help push the screen in.  I actually tried various methods and finally thought of the tamper but, even then, it was difficult to know if the screen went in deep enough.

Yes, as everyone mentioned, you need to know the pressure reading of that boiler.  I would lower it to a peak of 0.95 bar or so per Rob's recommendation.  I also recommend that you figure out a way to read the group head's temperature per Gene's suggestion.  This is one machine that I am still learning after about 3 months of usage.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 1:59pm

Cafedenda Said:

I also experienced water shooting out the side of the screen, I found that the screen was not installed deep or tight enough onto the cylinder.  The screen on mine is really really tight and I couldn't feel the usual snap that most owners should feel when snapping the screen back on.  From a side view, I saw that the screen was not level to the group head.  What I did was to use the bottom of my flat tamper to help push the screen in.  I actually tried various methods and finally thought of the tamper but, even then, it was difficult to know if the screen went in deep enough.

Yes, as everyone mentioned, you need to know the pressure reading of that boiler.  I would lower it to a peak of 0.95 bar or so per Rob's recommendation.  I also recommend that you figure out a way to read the group head's temperature per Gene's suggestion.  This is one machine that I am still learning after about 3 months of usage.

Posted August 3, 2012 link

Good stuff, thanks.
BTW, take care of that screen, I believe they about $75 to replace. Maybe more?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 4:13am

farmroast Said:

Might be worth getting a [ Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com) wand pressure gauge

Posted August 2, 2012 link

+2.

I also bought the temp strips but can't bring myself to sticking them on the group, thereby detracting from the aesthetics.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
scottyg514
scottyg514
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano, la...
Grinder: Macap m4 stepless doser
Roaster: Iroast 2
Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 7:03am

thanks for all the info. ill try some of the suggestions & post the results.

1st thing im going to try is to reinstall my screen (eventhough it snapped into place the first time & feels tight)

it seems all the spraying happens only when i lift the lever all the way to the top.
When i lift  just past half way, i get a pretty uniformed shower coming through the screen.
flathead1

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni pro, 67...
Grinder: Macap M4, Lelit 53, Solis...
Drip: Bodium Press
Roaster: I-Roast1, Behmor, RK Drum
Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 8:40am

I'm going to go another way with this. My first question when I read this was, "So what's the problem?" My Cremina spits water and steam when I lit the lever with out the portafilter in place. My next question was, "Why?"

Looking at the system your boiler is producing water that is some temperature above the flash point of water at atmospheric pressure (the .65 - .9 are bar pressure above atmospheric). As it exits the boiler it enters an open system, the chamber between the piston and the screen. Some of that water flashes to steam as the water and steam mixture quickly exits the dispersion screen. There isn't much chance for contact with the walls of the group for the transfer of heat to cool the water/steam down below atmospheric flash point. With the portafilter in place packed with coffee the water enters the chamber and builds up pressure against the coffee (raising the flashpoint) and at the same time the flow rate goes to zero allowing the water/steam mixture to transfer heat into the group and cool to less than atmospheric flashpoint. You press the water through the coffee and it comes out as espresso.

I will recommend you invest in OE's wand gauge to set your Pstat and I know Doug in one of his Cremina videos shows exactly which way to rotate the adjustment nut but if you pull of the case and fire it up (Careful with the exposed wiring) you can see the pstat working and figure out the correct adjustment.

Finally I'll ask, "How's the coffee?"
scottyg514
scottyg514

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 9:24am

coffee tastes good. But with less of a  syrupy texture & less crema than my HX 61 group machine.

If my La Pavoni spit out water  the same way as my Cremina, i never would have bothered posting, but there a noticable difference.

without PF in place

La Pavoni- a little spiting & some hissing

Cremina-sounds & looks like cold water being poured onto a dry pot that been over the fire for awhile

thanks for the tips
tek

Espresso: Changes daily
Grinder: Kafa-Tek Monolith
Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 10:33am

Get OE wand pressure gauge so you can setup your boiler pressure correctly.

www.10000shots.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 11:01am

scottyg514 Said:

coffee tastes good. But with less of a  syrupy texture & less crema than my HX 61 group machine.

Posted August 4, 2012 link

Well,, shots from a lever can and usually do differ in density and crema yield from those of a HX or DB.
Most lever heads are not crema-heads. LOL
I savor the layers of flavor and subtleties I get from my Cremina I didn't quite get from 4 years with my Anita, a GREAT HX machine.
The shots from Anita were very satisfying, I just wanted  to try the lever experience, and since then have never looked back.

Maybe you're expecting too much?

First off, get the gauge and make sure you're dialed in.
The only other thing could be your group gasket was inserted upside down.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
scottyg514
scottyg514

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 4:44am

I think I figured it out. I took a closer look at the dispersion screen & it has a few open slits on the edge that the water shoots through when flowing through the group.
Not sure of the purpose of these slits. Maybe to make snapping it on & off a little easier  or maybe purposely wanting to make the heated water shoot sideways to heat the inside of the bell?

Thanks for all the input.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > slight issue...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301614046097)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+