Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
My Lever Machine and Talk about the Cup Volume,,,,,,
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > My Lever Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 11:31pm
Subject: My Lever Machine and Talk about the Cup Volume,,,,,,

Many years ago, when we talked about the definition of cup volume for espresso, someone said that the lever machines defined the cup volume for 30 ml by design.  I didn't have the lever machine and couldn't talk much about it.  But now, I had got the lever machines, and recognized that the cup volume for lever machines are not limited in 30 ml, even nearly to 60 or more.

How is about the cup volume of espresso, and the use of lever machines?

pstam: ???001.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 7:28am
Subject: Re: My Lever Machine and Talk about the Cup Volume,,,,,,

I'm not clear on what you are describing when you speak of "cup volume" of 60 ml. The volume of coffee that one gets in a single pull with a lever machine is limited by the capacity of the group. In practice, you will get less liquid in the cup as some of the water will be absorbed by the coffee in the portafilter.

The only instance where the cup volume might be varied is through the use of a commercial lever machine where the head is loaded by a volumetric pump. In this case, the cup volume could be adjusted and selected (probably for settings of a single (short) or double (long) shot).
 View Profile Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:24am

Here I might get something wrong.
Last time, I tried only for single dose handle.  When I try the double one, I got two cups in 30 ml each.  I have to try more about it.
Thanks.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:10pm

Hi Peter,
Using maybe 16-18 grams of coffee, if you are doing the traditional lowering of the lever, locking it in for perhaps an 8-10 count, then raising the lever, still holding it lightly allowing it to rise, then letting go when you feel the pressured, the usual amount should be more than 30ml, unless you pull the cup.
I can easily get 30ml-40ml, if I so choose, from my 49mm group (15grams of coffee) in a 28-30 second pull, counting from the first lever motion.
In my case, as my lever machine is not spring loaded as is yours, I slowly raise the lever to the top, count to 10, then slowly lower the lever till I hit bottom, or see blonding.
40ml or so is my preferred amount, as I like more concentrated shots, but 60ml equals 2oz, which is a standard cafe shot, though I always ask for a bit les, usually 50ml.
So, 60ml is not out of the ordinary, especially if you are pulling your shot into 2 separate cups...you get a nice 1oz (30ml) "single."

I would time your shots as I explained, and if your shot is going longer than 30 seconds, including the  10 second pre infusion at the bottom, maybe adjust the grind.
The coffee should start as drips, usually after 4-5 seconds of the 10 count pre-infusion.

Always good to see you posting!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 9:29am

IMAWriter Said:

Hi Peter,
Using maybe 16-18 grams of coffee, if you are doing the traditional lowering of the lever, locking it in for perhaps an 8-10 count, then raising the lever, still holding it lightly allowing it to rise, then letting go when you feel the pressured, the usual amount should be more than 30ml, unless you pull the cup.

Posted November 16, 2012 link

Hi,
I'm going to try your way and see what I can do.  I am going to be back after more tests and some results, including thinking.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > My Lever Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.211766958237)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+