Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Londinium
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Londinium  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 7:43pm
Subject: Re: Londinium

redpig Said:

FWIW, I have one on order, and I'm happy to report duty fees or any other experiences when it arrives.  I did need to tell my bank the order wasn't fraudulent :)

Posted November 7, 2012 link

Not only would I be very interested in the taxes/fees for the import but anything you find out about the machine that is not apparent in the Posts on the various Threads.

The scace thing would just be interesting but certainly not worth buying one!  I thought you might have access to borrow one.  As for the Bosco spring, is it a single spring???  Will the L-1 be a single spring???  I am not sure why some groups have 2 springs and others have 1 spring.

Stephen
 View Profile Link to this post
rgunson
rgunson
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:02pm

the circa 6.55bar single spring value is the maximum value of the dynamic pressure that was observed

the circa 11 bar value for the twin spring is a static value

the static value for the single spring is 9 bar

the maximum dynamic value for the twin spring is greater than 6.55bar, but only slightly (remember this dynamic figure is governed by the pressure that the coffee can hold back before water starts to flow through the puck) & only right at the start of the extraction

the value of a twin spring is that it handles up-dosing (i.e. >16g) better

reiss.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
appleica

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 6:08pm

can't wait for a review, take lots of pictures please!
idensie

Espresso: Londinium I Luxe
Grinder: MACAP M4D
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 7:47pm

I am seriously considering importing a Londinium 1 to New Zealand so I have been looking into the Duty and Taxes that would be applicable.

I know every country is different and the shipping costs are likely to be completely different between NZ and the USA but this is what I have been quoted...

Duty calculation

Original value 1,799.47 GBP, Converted to NZ$ value (at a 0.5 exchange rate) = NZ$3598.94

Freight 161.27 GBP, Converted to NZ$ value = NZ$322.54

Duty is calculated at 0.05 of the original value = NZ$179.95

Goods and Services Tax is then calculated on the original value + duty + freight costs at a rate of 0.15
= (3598.94 + 322.54 + 179.95) * 0.15 = NZ$615.21

Giving a Sub total of (179.95 + 615.21) = NZ$795.16

PLUS... an Import entry transaction fee of NZ$25.30

PLUS... a Ministry for Primary Industries biosecurity system entry levy of NZ$12.77

Giving a final Estimated cost of NZ$833.23 for Tax, Duty and Fees

or a landed in my home ready to make amazing coffee cost of (3598.94 + 322.54 + 833.23) = NZ$4754.71

I have exchanged a couple of emails with Reiss and he seemed to think that there was no import duty on coffee machines into New Zealand so I have emailed NZ Customs to double check with them, but so far I haven't had a response to my question.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 9:00pm

It will also be interesting to see what that bottom line figure is here in the USA.  Curious minds need to know!
redpig

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Cellini Evoluzione v1
Grinder: DRM Conico Diretto 68
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:28pm

BLrdFX Said:

It will also be interesting to see what that bottom line figure is here in the USA.  Curious minds need to know!

Posted November 20, 2012 link

Harmonized Tariff Schedule online makes it look like a 3.7% tariff.  I'm guessing ~$100 for duty+fees without any local accommodations.  Here's hoping I know this week! :)  

1- Click Here (www.usitc.gov)

appleica Said:

can't wait for a review, take lots of pictures please!

I will, and I know others will too!

rgunson Said:

the value of a twin spring is that it handles up-dosing (i.e. >16g) better

Awesome info! Will a longer preinfusion offset initial spring differences? I usually don't updose, but your description made me curious about how it might be approached.

cheers! will
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:47pm

Redpig;

Thanks for the thoughts/Links for the USA tariffs.

Also for the question about the updosing compensation.  I use an 18gr in the morning, on my GS/3, split between 2 users, plus a second 18 for myself.
rgunson
rgunson

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 12:24pm

you can view a short film of LONDINIUM I here;

Click Here (londiniumespresso.com)
fajimr

Espresso: Elektra MCaL, Elektra T1...
Grinder: SJ for espresso & Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yup
Drip: nope- prefer press pot
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 3:06pm

gorgeous video (and gorgeous machine)... I thought it was funny that while you were saying that you didn't design the londinium with a cup warmer and designed it so customers could warm their cups in 10 secs with hot water, there was a londinium sitting behind you with cups on them.  They don't get warm sitting on top of the machine like that?

jim
rgunson
rgunson

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 4:32pm

hi jim
well, they'll get warm in a while, but you'll feel yourself growing old
people need a solution to warm their cups in a snap!

you see, if you make a big old coffee flavoured milkshake, a cold cup is less of an issue as you have enough thermal mass with the significantly larger volume (200mL or more) of milk & coffee to warm the cup

but with double espresso (60mL), and even worse for single shots(just 30mL)/ristretto (even less), a cup that is even slightly too cool will wreck the shot

you need to get the cup really hot, but only fill to 10mm below the rim otherwise the rim will burn your lips, which is daft

the only way to do this is with the hot water port that we have included

& use the proper thick wall italian espresso cups with a small surface area (but with a thin rim - thick rims are unpleasant to drink from)

reiss.
showing page 5 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Londinium  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29092001915)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+