Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
some levers are up, some are down--is there a lever FAQ?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > some levers are...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 1:54am
Subject: some levers are up, some are down--is there a lever FAQ?

I'm finally getting around to dabbling in levers.  But there is a LOT I need to learn, and it would be nice if there was a FAQ or "newbie's guide to levers", out there somewhere.

Two of the entry level levers I've been eying, (probably the same ones everyone else does too), are the La Pavonis, where the lever is down, at rest, and the Elektra Microcasa, where the lever is up at rest.  I have been able to get as far as:  the Elektra has a spring-drive piston, where the Pavoni has a direct-driven piston.  And I'm not even 100% sure of that.  Anyhow, so what?  Is one method of piston movement better than the other?  Seems on the surface, like direct control would be better for the practiced hand to modulate pressure.  BUT, the Elektra seems to cost a good deal more than the Pavoni, so there must be something about it that's "better" than the Pavoni.  What gives?  Also, Cremina's seem have the handle down at rest too, unless I am missing something.  And Creminas seem to have the best reputation of all.

Anyhow, if there is no FAQ or newbie guide, can someone give me a pro vs. con rundown on direct levers versus spring levers?

-Peter
 View Profile Link to this post
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:22am
Subject: Re: some levers are up, some are down--is there a lever FAQ?

With the "lever down" machines, you should expect to provide force to the piston by manually pulling down on it as you draw your shot.

With the "lever up" machines, you start by pulling down to load the spring, which provides force to the piston as it elongates.

Both systems can make an excellent cup. The Elektra (and other spring-loaded machines) provide more consistency but this is only a problem when beginning to use a "lever down" machine like the Pavoni.

The Elektra is larger and more stable on the counter. I've owned both and prefer the Elektra. Each brand has its own devotees. I've read that the spring loaded machines produce a better cup because the pressure of the spring diminishes as it elongates. There may be something to this, but it could certainly be duplicated with a manual lever.

You should plan on purchasing a really good grinder if you don't have one already.
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 4:05pm

johnboddie Said:

You should plan on purchasing a really good grinder if you don't have one already.

Posted November 26, 2012 link

I've got a Vario.  I reckon that ought to do.  My next step up from the Vario, if ever, will be a Robur.

Thanks for the rundown on spring-vs-direct action pistons.  It confirmed what i had been guessing.

-peter
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 9:35pm

johnboddie Said:

I've read that the spring loaded machines produce a better cup because the pressure of the spring diminishes as it elongates. There may be something to this, but it could certainly be duplicated with a manual lever.

Posted November 26, 2012 link

Yes, that is correct. When dosed properly, it is easy...Zen like...to allow the pressure to lighten. You learn this in your arm.
That said, there are some coffees that LIKE a firmer pressure towards the finish...meaning avoiding over extraction by speeding things up.

Edit for spelling error on "extraction."

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > some levers are...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228838920593)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+