Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Reccomendations on grinder for La Pavoni europiccola
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Reccomendations...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jakeamcdermott

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 6:05pm
Subject: Reccomendations on grinder for La Pavoni europiccola

I'm looking for a little help on identifying a good, *lower*-cost grinder for a La Pavoni Europiccola.

I currently have a Capresso 560 that is light years above the blade grinder I had before - but I'm starting to run into issues with it.

Mostly, I'm finding that it works great for 80% of the coffees out there, but I've run into some problems.

A friend of mine brought some coffee from Ethiopia that I found I could not grind find enough for the La Pavoni Europiccola. And I just recently was gifted a bag from a major retailer that worked great in the industrial machine at the office, but didn't work at all well at home - again, can't get it fine enough. The best luck I've had have been with beans that have a higher oil content in them, it seems.  (A local friend of mine who does his own roasting, and a local microroastery come to mind..)

And it's not even close to the powdered sugar style of grind that you need for proper turkish coffee.

Any recommendations on burr grinders that are sub $300 and could grinds from perc to Turkish? My focus is the La Pavoni, so I want to hear what lever enthusiasts here have to say. I know these machines are sensitive bean quality, but I also know something is amiss here.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 1:09am
Subject: Re: Reccomendations on grinder for La Pavoni europiccola

A blade grinder is no good, because you need homogenous grounds. The Baratza Preciso is genereálly agreed upon to be the entry level electrical grinder for espresso. Alternatively you could use a hand grinder.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
outrigger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 1:57am

@ jake,
maybe consider the recommendation of our head of forum?:

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)
uyeasound

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 1:16pm

The Pharos is POSSIBLY the best espresso grinder out there, and if you consider its price, the argument becomes over-powering.  If you don't mind cranking, buy one; my pavoni works amazingly with it: crema body and flavour that nothing else can find, and there's something nice about having a lever with a manual grinder (even if it does look like you made it yourself in the garage).
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 7:13am

uyeasound Said:

The Pharos is POSSIBLY the best espresso grinder out there, ...

Posted December 13, 2012 link

If you're talking hand grinder, you'll probably hear no protest here.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Craigman

Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 8:05pm

X2 for the Pharos and hand grinding

What makes you think that with some beans you are not grinding fine enough?

Is it running too fast?

Softer beans tend to run faster thus finer grind and firmer tamp

Also you can extract soft beans with a lower pressure so back off with the lever.
troposcuba

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 9:39pm

My La Pavoni Pro is very sensitive to the proper grind.  I have a Lido and a Zassenhaus 169dg (both hand grinders).  Either does a good job grinding for the LP.  I also have a kitchenaide proline which the wife uses for drip and french press, however I have to admit I have not tried it for espresso.  both of the hand grinders have a stepless adjustment which I think is very important for the LP.  I often find that a very small adjustment of the grind setting will get the results I am looking for.  I don't believe you would be able to achieve these results with a grinder that has a stepped adjustment unless the steps were very fine (as some of the expensive electric grinders have).  So the advice for the pharos is on the money if you don't mind spinning a crank.  I kind of enjoy grinding by hand as part of the morning coffee ritual.
jakeamcdermott

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 10:45pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I do currently use a burr grinder, and am quite aware of the how important a uniform grind is. The issue I have is that if I was presented with a dry bean, I'd never be able to grind it fine enough. No matter how hard I tamp down, it will run fast, and watery. If I take those grinds, and run them through my blade grinder for a moment, then I get the right pull - but I'm also opening myself up to having an uneven grind and, quite frankly, more steps that I'd like to do.

Hand grinders definitely sound like the way to go. I'm also into Turkish coffee, and definitely hear the call for a stepless grinder. I think the Pharos is the way to go in this instance, though it will be an act that will leave me no room to argue that I'm not a total coffee snob. :)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Reccomendations...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224379062653)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+