Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Where to overhaul a Cremina 67 in NYC or NYS area?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Where to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Holliday

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cremina 67; Estro Profi
Drip: Aero Press
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 2:17pm
Subject: Where to overhaul a Cremina 67 in NYC or NYS area?

I bought a Cremina 67 back in 1983-4 from Zabars in NYC, but never learned to use it properly (I was using Zabar ground beans or a blade grinder- who knew back then?). After @ 20 or 30 times or so, I put it aside, but loved the whole look and feel of it so much, I put it in storage. Then I briefly tried it again a few years ago but not really seriously. Now learning a bit more with a tricked up Estro Profi, I'd like to give the Cremina another try. After all this time I'm sure it needs work and overhauling. Where would be the best place to have it looked at and worked on?
 View Profile Link to this post
Cathi

Espresso: Cremina '67, Coffex
Grinder: Macap, KA Pro, Troesser,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex CM-8, KMB
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 3:38pm
Subject: Re: Where to overhaul a Cremina 67 in NYC or NYS area?

If you're interested in DIY, check out the good folks at Orphan Espresso.  Many tutorials (including vids) and lots of parts available, including gaskets, seals and lube (which I'm sure would needed after all this time).
Holliday

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 6:12pm

I'd have to spend several more years reading here and at OE (and pouring over tutorials) before trying out any DIY work, instead of learning how to draw a better shot. And if I add one more "hobby" to read about and tinker at, I'll need to drink a lot more espresso to get through the day.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 6:23pm

Give Chris's Coffee in Albany area a buzz.  Excellent service.  They would tell you straight up with their comfort level on working on a Cremina.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Holliday

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 8:57am

Thanks, BoldJava, but Chris's Coffee said they don't work on the Olympia Cremina (nor does 1st Line adn the number for Rudy's Espresso seems to be out of service). But Liemco which is very close to my home said they would take a look at it. It's not one of the brands they list on their website or for which they are factory authorized but they seemed familiar with the machine, so I will probably give them a try.

Does anyone know anything about them?
Roland

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 6:08pm

Did you contact Orphan Espresso and asked for an overhaul? They are very experienced with Creminas. If you have to ship yours anyway, it does not make a difference if you send it to upstate NY or to the West Coast. I service my Cremina myself, which is not too difficult after watching all the OE videos, and get all the parts I need from OE. I don't think you can find a better service anywhere else.
Holliday

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 6:48pm

Technically you're right, Roland but Liemco is just a few miles from where I live and in a direction I pass often, while Albany where Chris's Coffee is located is a town over from a place I go to once or twice a month anyway.  Either would have been easy and saved me packing and at least $50 in shipping charges. I'd love to overhaul it myself but I live two blocks from the beach and was badly hit by Sandy; I already have more than enough rebuilding projects to keep me busy til Summer.
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 2:23pm

I have to say that "We'll take a look at it" doesn't inspire too much confidence.  I think that an additional $50 might be a small price to pay to have true professionals rebuild your machine, and the good folks at OE are the gods of the Cremina.
Holliday

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 3:15pm

Well, that was not exactly what they said or the way they said it, but... your point is well taken. I guess it was just a combination of the immediate gratification of having it done quickly and nearby, combined with the prospect of having to disassemble and pack it upas meticulously as OE's website recommends, which seemed almost as daunting a prospect as doing the overhaul myself.

But that in and of itself is probably a testiment to how seriously they take working on the machines. I guess I'll start assembling the bubble wrap, plastic bags, sheet styrofoam and tape and box this weekend. To heck with re-sheetrocking the basement.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 5:12pm

You have time.  They are out of town dealing with a family issue.  See website, via putting anything in the cart to checkout.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Where to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218566894531)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+