Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
First Real Machine
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > First Real...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Shinok

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 2:11pm
Subject: First Real Machine

Hi Everyone,

I'm just getting into the hobby and was hoping for some advice. I've been skimming the forums and have got some great stuff to work with but figured I'd start a thread and not hijack another.

I have been making latte's for a few months but I know there is definite room for improvement. My wife likes how they come out but we're using a cheap Delonghi "espresso" maker that has a plastic steam head for easier frothing. I've gotten fairly good at utilizing what I have but the espresso lacks (none of the rich crema etc) and although I get that decent wet paint look from the milk, it always feels too thin and never gives me enough to do any sort of latte art (not really that necessary :p)

My problem is that when I get into a hobby, I like to do it right the first time and like the more traditional aspects when available, which has led me to the manual side of things. I know there will definitely be a learning curve but am I better off sinking money into a manual machine or will I get similar results from one of the automatics? Budget is probably going to be under $1,000 until I can really justify higher so I was looking at the La Pavoni's to start (Stradavari is on amazon for $810)

The automatics seem a bit out of price range aside from some of the Breville units, like the Barista version for $580, but if those are better to start with, I could possibly look at some of the higher models.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 2:31pm
Subject: Re: First Real Machine

Hi, welcome to CG.  How about a little more information?  What is your grinder?  What is your coffee supply and date roasted?  Is you current machine using the standard pressurized portafilter, or non-pressurized.

You might start by reading here How to 12 Easy Guide to espresso at home.

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

If you need a grinder, is that is the budget?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
D4F

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 2:56pm

I also should have noted that you probably need to describe your daily use pattern.  How many drinks at at session and steamed or not? What do you want to do?

D4F also at
Shinok

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 3:01pm

We currently just use the pre-ground vacuum packs (Cafe La Llave/Cafe Bustelo) but I want to get into fresh ground instead.

This is what we have, not sure if the portafilter is pressurized (manual wasn't very descriptive).  http://www.delonghi.com/us_en/products/bco-120t/

I would like to keep it in the $1,000 range but am open if adding an extra few hundred will make a significant difference.

I'll check out the link for now.
D4F

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 3:13pm

Grinder is the first issue to solve as you will begin to see as you read the Espressomyespresso link.  Probably the minimal acceptable grinder for espresso is the Baratza Preciso and it is $239 + shipping for the refurb from Baratza.com.  New refurb offerings are on Thursday mornings and up until sold.  The better buy if in your budget is the Baratza Vario refurb also available on the site for $360 IIRC.

After you understand the significance a grinder and freshly roasted beans, then you are more ready to start looking at machines.

Be careful when you look at any electric espresso grinder, especially those for less, and research it carefully on the forums, not Amazon or similar reviews.

The Delonghi will be pressurized if not fixed by you.  Look at the thread on getting started in home espresso and learn the basics and you will get a lot of help here.  Again, describe what you want use-wise when you report back.

D4F also at
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 3:18pm

I don't see mention of a grinder.  A big chunk of that budget will have to be sunk into a quality grinder if you want espresso.  I suggest you spend some time researching grinders before you settle on a final budget, and before you settle on a machine. If you have a decent grinder you can make decent espresso on a cheap machine, but a $6,000 espresso machine will not make anything resembling a drinkable shot with a whirly blade, say.
Shinok

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 4:42pm

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

Usage will be mostly 2 morning latte's, occasional night drinks and multiple cups when having people over (probably no more than 6-8 at a time though).
D4F

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 4:55pm

With 2 lattes, in the morning and the desire to be able to do 6+ is a session, you are leaving the Single Boiler Double Use machines, like the one that you have but perhaps bigger and better.  If that 6+ is not very rare, you are going to be looking a HX, heat eschanger, machines and or douible boiler.  There are good resources/members with those machines and lots of strong feelings about best in a given budget.  I just gave you the terms HX and double boiler and you can start to research.  

Start looking at grinder threads, but I think the Baratza Vario is a great start, and the Preciso if budget demands.  I say that and have the Preciso.  You may need to up your budget, get ready.

The Espressomyespresso site that I gave you earlier is a great reference for much of the espresso journey.

D4F also at
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > First Real...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.204843997955)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+