Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Tamper for single cup basket for Cremina?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Tamper for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Holliday

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cremina 67; Estro Profi
Drip: Aero Press
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 9:09am
Subject: Tamper for single cup basket for Cremina?

I got  49.4 mm tamper from Orphan Espresso for my Cremina,  which is perfect for the double basket but seems much too big for the single cup basket. Using it does not really press down on the 7gms of coffee contained in the recessed part of the single cup basket which looks like it's about 35-37 mm wide. When new, the Cremina came with a black plastic double sided convex tamper with a smaller side for the single basket but it was broken long before the machine came to me.  

Is there/do I need a smaller tamper for single cups?
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 1:42pm
Subject: Re: Tamper for single cup basket for Cremina?

Holliday Said:

I got  49.4 mm tamper from Orphan Espresso for my Cremina,  which is perfect for the double basket but seems much too big for the single cup basket. Using it does not really press down on the 7gms of coffee contained in the recessed part of the single cup basket which looks like it's about 35-37 mm wide. When new, the Cremina came with a black plastic double sided convex tamper with a smaller side for the single basket but it was broken long before the machine came to me.  

Is there/do I need a smaller tamper for single cups?

Posted February 17, 2013 link

Get a MCAL (Elektra Micro Casa a Leva) single basket from http://www.espressocare.com
It is slightly wider, a bit deeper as well. as  former cremina owner, IU'd recommend 11 grams of coffee in that basket. Light tamp, maybe 10#'s.
My 49.4 fit perfectly in the Cremina double, MCAL single and double.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Holliday

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:18am

Thanks. On their website, it looks like basically the same shape as the single basket for the Cremina,  with the lower area of the basket which holds the coffee being a smaller diameter than the top. So I'm not sure how a 49.4 diameter tamper would be able to reach and compress the grounds inside the lower part of that basket any better than it would the Cremina, but I'll give it a shot (so to speak).
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:18pm

Holliday Said:

Thanks. On their website, it looks like basically the same shape as the single basket for the Cremina,  with the lower area of the basket which holds the coffee being a smaller diameter than the top. So I'm not sure how a 49.4 diameter tamper would be able to reach and compress the grounds inside the lower part of that basket any better than it would the Cremina, but I'll give it a shot (so to speak).

Posted February 20, 2013 link

I just TOLD you it would fit. I had one with MY Cremina.
Trust the force.
Ot go to a machine shop and take a mm off your tamper.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Roland

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 7:41pm

Are you using enough coffee? If you have too little coffee in the basket, the tamper will hit the metal of the recess and not compress the coffee. When there is enough coffee, the tamper will compress the grinds just fine. I am using the single basket (MCAL) and have no problem with tamping. If you can see the recessed area after tamping, you don't have enough coffee in the basket.
Holliday

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:02am

IMAWriter Said:

I just TOLD you it would fit. I had one with MY Cremina.
Trust the force.

Posted February 20, 2013 link

LOL and I said I'd give it a shot.
Holliday

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:07am

Roland Said:

Are you using enough coffee?

Posted February 21, 2013 link

Yeah, I think so, 7 grams which do come up slightly above the recessed area of the basket, but the shot was very poor so I thought that maybe while the coffee above the lower basket was being tamped, perhaps the portion below was not. I'll keep trying and try playing with the amount of coffee, and the grind while I wait for a smaller MCAL tamper.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:01pm

7 grams is barely a traditional Italian shot,. and with all the robusta in their coffee...sometimes 50%, it just looks like more coffee coming out.
The MCAL basket would like 10 grams..even 11. But go 10grams, a light 5# tamp.
If you get it right, you'll get a lovely 20ml single consisting of LAYERS, not so intense as a double, but more clarity.
IMO, the MCAL single basket, being a bit deeper, produces a more focused shot than the OE Cremina single. At least that was so on MY Olympia Cremina. (1981)
The MCAL basket is not expensive, and well worth it, as your Cremina is, again IMO, a perfect machine to pull singles. You can drink them all day! Half the fun is preparing and pulling the shot.
I had both the single and double MCAL baskets.

If your tamper is not a very thin (by depth) piston, I'd highly recommend the tamper I had, made by a true craftsman, Richard Penney.
He also made my all brass bottomless tamper.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Tamper for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.25759601593)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+