Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
oh boy, down the rabbit hole I go!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > oh boy, down the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
alterview

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 9:55pm
Subject: Re: oh boy, down the rabbit hole I go!

Machine came today! Looks to be in better shape than I was thinking. It isn't leaking that I can tell. It is a 4 pole unit, no pstat but has what looks like a fuse bolted to the center of the boiler plate. The base is not magnetic (the lever and group bolts are the only magnetic parts). There are a couple of areas where the polymer coating is worn off or has delaminated and has discoloration underneath (black, pink and red). I tried to polish one spot with Flitz that is missing the polymer coating but it remains reddish pink.

I am guessing 1987-1989 era. I tried popping the shower screen out but was having a troubles (tried pushing the piston down to pop it free after removing the lever pin and piston top nut and bolt).

First shot with 15g was too much. It hit the dispersion screen. Cleaned off and re-tamped but it ended up choking the shot and barely pulled. Second shot at 13g and courser grind was a better fit fine but a bit mushy on the pull.

I am limping along with a Hario Slim until the Pharos arrives (delayed due to build time). Tomorrow I will clean some more and descale and try a few more shots! Hopefully I can meet up with Stefano in the next few days and pick up a few parts.

All in all, I am quite pleased and really looking forward to fine tuning. First two shots were not bad at all; much better than my old Krupps. I am using freshly roasted beans from what I think is the best local roaster in town.

Cheers,
rj
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 11:25am

Glad to hear you're up and running. I spent last week at the wrong plant to try again on my heating element. I'll be at the other plant all this week so keeping my fingers crossed. Just curious what is the Eugene roaster you're trying?
alterview

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 12:21pm

Pulled a couple shots this morning. Getting better. The Hario Slim is definitely a weak point right now. 12g, light tamp (pill bottle- have to wait on a tamper) and a fine grind works pretty well. Descaled and wiped down the machine looks pretty good. Still am wanting to pull things apart but am waiting until I have new gaskets in hand. The steam valve body needs to be straightened out too. Still not too sure how I will handle the black/pink/red under the polymer coating around the front base. Only a 1/4" or so shows with the base on (still bugs me a bit). Hopefully I can meet up with Stefano tomorrow for some part and hopefully a little guidance.

Ron-

Wondering Goat. Great little shop in the Whiteaker area. Best espresso I have had in Eugene. They get in a nice selection and roast on the lighter side. Last week I was using Worka in my Aeropress. Bright and fruity; one of the most unusual coffees I have had. The shop is uniquely Eugene, part yuppie, part hipster, part hippy and part almost seedy. Personally I could careless about anything other than the coffee.

Sorry you are having troubles fixing your element.

Cheers,
rj
alterview

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:48pm

Tear down and cleaning wasn't difficult at all. Used Citristrip to remove the bottom ~1/2" of polymer clear coat to get at the tarnish and rust. Cleaned up quite well. Left a faint line between the coated and the new non-coated area. Still need to put a couple coats on to protect it. Picked up parts from Stenfano and Kathleen (many thanks) and put it right again. Most of the seals were in pretty good shape with only the boil to group one being melted and unusable.

2 shots with it back together... fantastic! Not perfection in a cup but heavenly none the less. My new grinder has been shipped and should be here in a couple days. That should help out too.

cheers,
rj
alterview

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 7:31pm

Pharos arrived today along with a couple Inker cups. Second shot ended up being fairly dialed in (to my inexperienced palate). Very pleased with the grinder so far. It is a little unwieldy but I am sure I will figure out how to better handle it. 12g, light tamp with fairly fine grind. 1.5oz shot after ~32s.
frankward
frankward
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional Gold,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, OE Pharos
Drip: Hario, Chemex
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:50am

Congratulations on getting a Pharos. I was on OE's waiting list beginning in December and they never confirmed that one was available. I guess I wasn't emailing them enough. I finally bought a Mazzer Mini so I have no complaints. BTW, I had my La Pavoni over a year before I started getting great espresso on a daily basis. I am a slow learner, though.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > oh boy, down the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.195459127426)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+