Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
oh boy, down the rabbit hole I go!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > oh boy, down the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
alterview

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 5:33pm
Subject: oh boy, down the rabbit hole I go!

My first real machine is paid for and on it's way. A copper/brass europiccolo. It is in 'working order' but that remains to be seen. I am fine with needing to do some work to get it up and running smoothly. I will be ordering a Pharos in the next few days.

Time to look into the other gear I need and how to chop a PF.

BTW- I am just excited to get going, hence the post.

Cheers,
rj
 View Profile Link to this post
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 5:50pm
Subject: Re: oh boy, down the rabbit hole I go!

Welcome to the dark side.  I love my little LP and I know you'll enjoy yours also.  It'll take a little time to get to know it so be patient, as thermal management will present a challenge. I wouldn't hack the PF if it's a vintage model, unless you've got a spare, but to each his own. Enjoy!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 5:58pm

alterview Said:

My first real machine is paid for and on it's way. A copper/brass europiccolo. It is in 'working order' but that remains to be seen. I am fine with needing to do some work to get it up and running smoothly. I will be ordering a Pharos in the next few days.

Time to look into the other gear I need and how to chop a PF.

BTW- I am just excited to get going, hence the post.

Cheers,
rj

Posted February 21, 2013 link

Welcome to a beautiful machine.  I have a vintage pavoni lever.  It is a work of art.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
alterview

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 6:06pm

I will definitely have patience with the learning process. Not sure how old the machine is, it has one white and one red toggle with a clear slash cap over it (not sure if that helps determine age. PF's seem to be fairly spendy for the LP (both originals and bottomless), that is why I was thinking doing a chop job. I will hold off for a while on that.

When I order the Pharos I will buy a temp strip. Any other suggestions of things to order at the same time?

Thanks,
rj
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 7:35am

Get a tamper that fits. It sounds like you have a pre-Millenium model. OE will have what you need.

Get the double basket, even if you just plan to pull singles.

JB
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 7:40am

johnboddie Said:

Get a tamper that fits. It sounds like you have a pre-Millenium model. OE will have what you need.

Get the double basket, even if you just plan to pull singles.

JB

Posted February 22, 2013 link

+1
I bought a 49mm tamper on ebay thinking it was the correct size but it is NOT.  It's a tad small.  OE sells a 49.4mm tamper for the Pavoni pre-Millenium.
alterview

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 4:54pm

I ordered a Pharos too! I held off on ordering a tamper due to not knowing if this machine is pre or not. OE has an all stainless one it says it is 49mm but is for mcal and LP among others. The other tampers they have with the colored handles can be ordered in 49.4mm. Is that the one I should get if my machine is indeed a pre-millennium or is the stainless one actually 49.4mm also? Also, I think I read about people liking the deeper double basket for the mcal. Is that a fairly 'must' have for most people?

I just figured out Stephano is local for me. I contacted him about acquiring parts after I check out the machine. Nice to be able to take a short drive and pick up what I need. Instant gratification is a wonderful thing.

JB-

What makes you think it is a pre-millennium machine? Just curious since I really don't know.

Cheers!
rj
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:45pm

Here's a very informative site that goes into a lot of the history of the La Pavonis.
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_ep_eng.htm
You can get a pretty good idea of the year of your machine from the timelines and changes made, as well as a lot of technical info if you need to do any work on it.
I'm still needing to get the heating element off of mine- hopefully next week I'll have a chance to give it another try with a little help from a workmate. From the site above I believe mines a 78 or 79. I'm getting impatient to get it finished. The grouphead parts all cleaned up super nice. It's the copper/brass model. I'm thinking of puting a pressure guage on it, I think I'll be needing a couple more things from Stephano before I'm through and might just put one- with the adapter of course- on the order.
alterview

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 1:18pm

Thanks Ron-

I have checked that site out and it should help figure out about how old this machine is when I receive it. From the pictures I am guessing in the 1992-1998 range. I am looking forward to tearing it down and fixing it back up. Not too sure how to handle the spots of brass (coating?) that has pealed up and rusted under it (the bottom front at the base plate and spotting in the drip tray area).

More to come after an inspection when it arrives.

Cheers!
rj
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 2:18pm

Glad to help. Be aware these have a thin plating coated with a clear laquer or something on that order. Don't use anything abrasive on the finish. I'm still deciding about mine. Mostly looks pretty good but a couple pretty bad spots on the boiler. I may take a portion of the boiler down to bare metal and refinish with high temp. paint, or I may just clean it up good as it gets and go with it.
BTW I lived in Eugene till I was 15- miss it sometimes....
                    Ron
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > oh boy, down the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252457857132)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+