Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
To chop, or to not chop, that is the question...
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > To chop, or to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
alterview

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 11:08pm
Subject: To chop, or to not chop, that is the question...

I have my new to me brass/copper Europiccola up and running (looking nice too). I really want a bottomless PF but am struggling with whether or not I should chop (or have chopped) my brass stock PF or buy a Penney (since they do come in brass too).

pros to chopping:
-probably wouldn't use the stock one if I bought a Penney bottomless
-save me ~$150

cons:
-hard or near impossible to find stock brass 49mm PFs
-the Penney looks so nice

What say ye?

Slainte,
rj
 View Profile Link to this post
chopinhauer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: pavoni europiccola, olympia...
Grinder: mazzer mini-E
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 12:49am
Subject: Re: To chop, or to not chop, that is the question...

Personally, I wouldn't go naked with a Pavoni. They have enough temperature issues as it is and the unchopped PF can serve the function of a heat sink more adequately than the chopped version. By that I mean, after the first shot I cool the PF down. The more brass the more hear the PF can absorb from the group on the next and subsequent shots.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 3:19am

chopinhauer Said:

Personally, I wouldn't go naked with a Pavoni.

Posted March 5, 2013 link

+1

Lever machines tend to overheat when you pull consecutive shots. One way of handling this problem is to actually cool the PF. This won't be as effective with a bottomless PF. Besides, even though it's a great diagnostic tool for extraction problems, it doesn't brew better espresso, when everything is runnung smoothly. It just looks nice.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
dr_java

Espresso: Silvia, Estro SIN6, Pavoni...
Grinder: Hand, Breville Smart
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 8:18am

RJ:

I see that you are "just starting".   The bottomless PFs can be messier, so you may want to consider it a temporary solution to be used while you establish your process.  For example, after you are consistently forming high-quality pucks, you may no longer want to risk getting your equipment hosed by the occasional squirter.  It will ultimately depend on your tolerance for defects.  IMO, there can be much to learned from using a bottomless PF, though.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 10:45pm

Hi RJ,
 I was thinking maybe keep your stock brass one as is and look for a cheap used one to chop. Looking around I don't see that they're readily available, but maybe if you keep you're eyes open and/or ask Stephano to do the same one might pop up. The bottomless PF is definitely a valuable learning tool and I continue to use mine with my Wega- cause I like to watch- and I feel like it keeps me "in check". I can see where there may be some advantage to using the stock one with the La Pavoni though, and something I will probably want to play around with- which will put me in the same boat you're in...
   Cheers,
       Ron
alterview

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 7:22pm

Thanks guys. I will save my pennies to buy a Penney. Keep the original PF to use as a heat sink when needed (not often). I don't really like the idea of chopping when perfectly good bottomless PFs are being made.

Cheers,
rj
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > To chop, or to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20358300209)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+