Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Newbie w/ LaPavoni Europiccola
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Newbie w/...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CanyonJack

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: LaPavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Capresso
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 10:57am
Subject: Newbie w/ LaPavoni Europiccola

I was given a LaPavoni Euorpiccola circa 1964 (researched this on web). Machine is in like new condition with very little prior use. I have been experimenting with it for a couple weeks and a lot of help from my son (experienced espresso king!) and finally am enjoying great shots with perfect crema.
My question is: Is there a benefit in selling this machine to a "collector" and purchasing a more modern machine like a Miss Silvia? What benefits might I gain?

CanyonJack: LaPavoni1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 4:21pm
Subject: Re: Newbie w/ LaPavoni Europiccola

That would be more of a step backward. If you are enjoying great shots with perfect crema, what would you gain by moving to a different machine?

In addition, there is no (or very little) "collector's value" to a 1964 Europiccola. There are many many thousands of pre-millenium EPs around, and they are valued because of what they do, not what they are.

Hold on to it. You'll be glad you did.
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 12:53pm

I have both machines and it's far easier to be more consistent with the Silvia than that old LP in stock form.  I don't mean to be rude but I highly doubt you've mastered that machine in such a short amount of time, given the Capresso grinder, the thermally challenged group, and the picture you posted. It's virtually impossible to pull back to back consistent shots on an ongoing basis without measuring group temps, which can very quickly rise and burn the coffee.  The first shot pulled on the LP after initial warm up is almost always worse than the second shot.  Even with a temperature probe I'm still having some issues dialing in the first pull.  Usually it's a bit cool but if I warm up the group a little more then it starts getting too hot for the second pull, which generally means the first shot is sacrificial. Still working on finding those sweet spots and of coarse different coffees demand different temps sometimes. What coffee are you using?
As for collector value, not worth more than a more modern LP.
CanyonJack

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: LaPavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Capresso
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 3:33pm

Current coffee I am using is Island Joe's 90 mile stretch. I pull double shots back to back in the same shot glass you see in the pic. Consistently day after day the flavor, crema and temperature shows low variation. Not sure what your issue is with the Capresso grinder? 30psi pressure with a convex tamp produces consistent pull times (20-23 secs). If I change coffee brands and can't find the perfect grind setting, I might do the stepless mod.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Newbie w/...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.183705091476)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+