Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Lever Machine right for me?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Lever Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
evancalkins
evancalkins
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 8:59am
Subject: Lever Machine right for me?

For the past several years I've been heavily into brewed coffee, but want to get into espresso now as well.

I have no interest in using the steamer to prepare milk and would only use an espresso machine for the shots to prepare americanos and espresso.

I like to fiddle and figure things out, so in my research, it seems like a lever machine would be great for me.

My question is, is there a certain type of machine that is best for people who have no interest in utilizing a steamer? Perhaps a machine that altogether leaves that off its feature list and just pulls shots?

Again, I'm very new to the world of espresso and equipement and would love some direction.
 View Profile Link to this post
tek

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Changes daily
Grinder: Kafa-Tek Monolith
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 9:26am
Subject: Re: Lever Machine right for me?

Hi Evan,

Welcome to forums. First question which then leads to answers is what is your budget?

www.10000shots.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
evancalkins
evancalkins

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 10:49am

Thanks for the welcome! I suppose my budget for a machine would be around $500. I'm very open to purchasing used equipment, if that helps.
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 12:45pm

Does the $500 include a capable grinder?

An excellent machine would be a Caravel. I got mine via eBay Italy.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
evancalkins
evancalkins

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 4:06pm

Oh wow, that Caravel machine looks fabulous. I watched some youtube videos and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Can you speak to the quality of the shot? I imagine is similar to crafting a shot from a La Pavoni?
evancalkins
evancalkins

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 4:19pm

Upon reading more about the Caravel, it seems quality is surely not a thing to worry about. I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for one on eBay or Craigslist.

There does seem to be one listed right now on Ebay Italy, but after Euro conversion and shipping, it'll probably blow past my budget.
RoyceRuiz

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 4:24pm

What grinder are you planning on using?
evancalkins
evancalkins

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 4:29pm

That's another thing I'll be hunting for. I have a Bodum Bistro burr grinder currently, but it's certainly not espresso worthy - fine for brewing though.
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 5:57am

evancalkins Said:

Oh wow, that Caravel machine looks fabulous. I watched some youtube videos and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Can you speak to the quality of the shot? I imagine is similar to crafting a shot from a La Pavoni?

Posted May 22, 2013 link

The consensus is that the Caravel is by far the easiest of all the vintage home levers to use and that they produce some of the best ristrettos. You don't get very much volume at all.  However it will be pushing your budget for sure.  Does your $500 budget include purchasing a grinder as well?
evancalkins
evancalkins

Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 10:36am

Very good to know - I've been enjoying researching the options out there.

My budget of $500 didn't include the purchase of a grinder. I'm well aware that will be another saving plan altogether :)

Seems like the two machines I'm really researching and looking out for are the La Pavoni and the Caravel, with my preference toward the Caravel. If I can get one from overseas right around $500, shipping included, I might snag one.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Lever Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23895907402)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+