Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
La Pavoni Millenium Pro won't heat up.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > La Pavoni...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
frankward
frankward
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional Gold,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, OE Pharos
Drip: Hario, Chemex
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 6:30pm
Subject: La Pavoni Millenium Pro won't heat up.

The green light is "on" but the boiler does not heat. When I bought the Professional about 15 months ago, the seller had just sent the unused machine back to La Pavoni for what she described as the same issue. When it broke, it was on for 30 minutes (longer than I usually allow) and I saw that the pressure dial was in the middle of the red area before I released the boiler pressure. Is there a fuse or something that might have activated? Did the heating element burn out? It had plenty of water in it. Can I fix this myself? I would like to, but I don't even have that hexagonal screw driver to remove the base plate.

I live in Massachusetts. Who in this area fixes La Pavoni? Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
SeekingGodShots

Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 7:10pm
Subject: Re: La Pavoni Millenium Pro won't heat up.

Sounds like the fuse blew out.  If you're electrically/mechanically inclined, you could repair this yourself.  

Please clarify that although it did not heat up, the boiler generated pressure ("pressure dial was in the middle of the red area before I released the boiler pressure...")  You need heat to generate pressure.  

I would suggest seeking out Stephano to sort this one out.  

Good luck!

La Pavoni Europicola
Rocky Doserless
Barber Tampers
Technivorm Moccamaster
Hario Kettle & V60
hankbates
hankbates
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional...
Grinder: LaPavoni Jolly
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 4:47am

Sure looks like the fuse to me.  It should be resettable on this unit
There should be a red button visible through the base which will reset the fuse by pushing it in.

This machine shouldn't work with the pressure gauge in the middle of the red area.  The safety pressure relief valve should be opening, and the pressurestat should have turned the heat off.  It could be a bad gauge or a mis-set pstat, but it also could be scale which is interfering with the operation of the gauge, the pstat and/or the relief valve.
If indeed the boiler is working around 2bar, you will have a very hard time making good shots, the water will be too hot unless you do a lot of things to cool the group down.

Reset the fuse, then descale it.   You want  to get it to work around 1 bar.

I have had a bunch of experience with these machines and I would be happy to help if descaling doesn't solve the problems.
frankward
frankward

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:28am

A big thank you to the CoffeeGeek first responders. I removed a little rubber lid on the base and reset the fuse. Now I have to see if the 2 bar pressure problem happens again. I have never seen it go that high before but I have never adjusted the pstat. I have never descaled it either. Can I simply put some water mixed with BetterBrew coffeemaker cleaner into the boiler and lever it out through the group head?

I am really happy with my espresso right now since I added a thermometer to the group head. I would be interested in checking the pstat setting if someone can tell me how.
Thanks again, Frank
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 12:53pm

to proper remove scale from your machine after a descaling using the real descaling solution (or milder citric acid)
your should remove the pstat
inspected and blow some air or flush some fresh water from the boiler out the pipe to make sure that the pipe is not clogged or partially clogged by scale biuld ups,
after doing so
if your presurestat shuts off where it should it might be ok (just keep on eye on it for a while
or it might need replacement

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 6:03pm

Take the cap off the machine and shine a flashlight down into the boiler to visually determine if a descaling might help.  If you see shiny element at the bottom and can clearly see the hole into the pipe leading out the bottom of the boiler to the pressostat, you don't need to descale.  If you see a landscape of calcium hoodoos, you'll possibly need more than a chemical descaling, but let's start with a descaling solution

The coffee machine cleaners are more for getting the oils out of a coffee machine's brew circuit rather than descaling.  I don't knoe the "Better Brew" one you're talking about, but I think I'm safe assuming what it is.
For descaling, get some citric acid or an espresso machine descaling agent(Any place that sells machines will sell something with mixing instructions). In your pavoni, where you can access the boiler so easily by removing the cap, I would just mix the descaler right in the boiler, top it up to almost the top of the sight-glass, just so you can see from the outside how full it is... Let it sit for a while, 5 minutes, with the cap off(The chemical reaction will build pressure).  With the cap on, give it a good shake, then remove the cap slowly so you don't get sprayed, and let it sit another ten minutes or so. Dump it all out down the drain, or save it for descaling small parts later if it hasn't discoloured terribly.  Fill the boiler with clean, cold water, put the cap on, shake it, remove the cap and dump it.  Fill, shake, dump again. Fill it halfway, it should be rinsed now, cap it and turn it on to test it.

If the pressure issue is resolved, you will want to let some steam and water out through both the steam-wand and brew head and throw it away to make sure all ports are completely rinsed and flushed.
If the pressure issue is not resolved, it is possible that your pipe below the boiler to the pressostat is still blocked.  If so, you'll want to remove the p-stat and check the pipe before trying to adjust the p-stat. The p-stats on pavonis can be worsened by trying to adjust them. If the pipe is the problem, it's a waste of a p-stat.
frankward
frankward

Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 6:25am

It is wonderful that SeekingGodShots suggested Stefano and then Stefano sent me a very helpful note. I used Stefano's diagrams on his site to find both the reset button and the pstat.
Thanks to Hank, a fellow lever lover from MA for his offer to help. I will take him up on it someday. I'm hoping that resetting the thermostat button will be sufficient for now.
SStones suggested a simple flashlight boiler search which found nice clean coils and a clear hole at the bottom of the tank. The walls of the tank look great too.
As a dance with the devil, I left the Pavoni Pro on for an extra half hour after a few morning shots. The gauge stayed at just below 1 bar. I think my original problem was that I left the machine on for a half hour without releasing pressure from the steam wand or lifting the lever. It was a totally closed system. I think I should plug the La Pavoni into a timer so it never stays on for over 30 minutes.
Thanks again to the CoffeeGeek task force, Frank
hankbates
hankbates

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional...
Grinder: LaPavoni Jolly
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 8:00pm

The Pressurestat can't tell whether you have vented air from the boiler or not.  It should shut off the heating element at 0.9 bar, vented or not.  Your ~2 bar wasn't caused by a failure to vent.
Flori

Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 1:11am

my mom had the same issue with her La Pavonni and she sent it to be repaired. Will sure check it out once back and see what has been done to it.

Flori
Blogger, CoffeeLoversOfWorld.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > La Pavoni...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263740062714)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+