Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Temperature on Pre-Millenium Europiccola
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Temperature on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
fifthmonkee

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 1:26pm
Subject: Temperature on Pre-Millenium Europiccola

I just got some temperature strips for my La Pavoni and placed them on the group head. I'm seeing now that when I pull a shot, the water is getting to about 240 F. I've read it should be closer to 203. How do I lower the temperature on the shot?
 View Profile Link to this post
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 73' Cremina, '74 Club,...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 8:27pm
Subject: Re: Temperature on Pre-Millenium Europiccola

The temp strip doesn't indicate the water temp...just the temp of the group where it is placed.  If you know the approximate temp of the group you can control it.  That allows you to duplicate a good shot.  By itself the specific number on the stripsthermometer is meaningless.  You still have to figure out what temp works for your dose, grind, coffee, and palate.  

You should read all of the following, it's one of my favorite threads over at HB: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fifthmonkee

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 9:53am

But my question is, how do I lower the temperature of the water inside the grouphead? What I've found is that if I don't run the machine hot enough, I don't get much pressure when I lift the lever, and have to pump it two or three times to get a full shot. But if I run it hot enough to build up a lot of pressure, then it's too hot for the shot.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:23pm

If you clicked the thread graciously linked by Russel, you'd have a great understanding of your machine.
"drgary" kindly loaned me the exact machine for over a month, which I was pleased to use.
If you have 2 switches, one switch gets your water up fairly close to brew temp, the other is for raising up the temp for steaming. Judicious finagling with the 2 will produce the proper brew temperature. After the 1st shot, turn off your machine for maybe 2 minutes, and bleed the steam wand for 5 seconds.
Grind your coffee for the 2nd shot, turn on the machine, and in about 30 seconds or so, you're ready for the next shot.
The temp strips that start at 88c aren't that useful, as once your group gets to 92 c, you're already too hot. You want that group between 178f and 182f for the best results.

READ that HB thread(!), and there are several others referring to managing the temperature of a Pre Millennium Euro.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fifthmonkee

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 1:26pm

I didn't mean to dismiss the thread graciously linked by Russel. When I clicked on it, I got to a page on installing a thermometer on my machine, which is a little beyond my capacity and desire. After having a second look at the post, however, I see now that within it, there is a another link to Click Here (www.home-barista.com) and, if you scroll down on THAT link, there is a discussion on how to toggle the switches to achieve the ideal temp. I wasn't ignoring the original link.

But thank you for the guidance on switches!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Temperature on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.190824985504)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+