Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Coffee not coming out in new la pavoni stradivari
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Coffee not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
luzhindefense

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 10:36pm
Subject: Coffee not coming out in new la pavoni stradivari

The water boils, pressure indicator in the green, light comes on, steam comes out of the milk steamer, I let the water continue to boil until light comes on again,  but pulling up the lever up doesn't seem to pull in any water into the coffee group.   I followed all instructions exactly, I tried a courser grind, less coffee, less packing with tamper, but same result each time....  no resistance on pulling the handle up or down, no water comes through at all.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thank you
 View Profile Link to this post
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 73' Cremina, '74 Club,...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 10:46pm
Subject: Re: Coffee not coming out in new la pavoni stradivari

Does water come out of the group without the PF?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
luzhindefense

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 10:51pm

I removed the filter handle entirely, then boiled the water and pulled the lever.  There were some drips of water coming through the group during the boiling before I pulled the lever up, but not much.  Pulling the lever up and pushing down again did nothing, no more water or steam came out from the group.
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, '84 La Pavoni Pro,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario, La Pavoni PGC
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 12:44am

luzhindefense Said:

I removed the filter handle entirely, then boiled the water and pulled the lever.  There were some drips of water coming through the group during the boiling before I pulled the lever up, but not much.  Pulling the lever up and pushing down again did nothing, no more water or steam came out from the group.

Posted July 10, 2013 link

Sounds like your machine is hot enough to build some pressure.  I'm wondering if you are pulling the lever up high enough?

With the machine off, and cooled down lift the lever as high as you can.  If there's a cabinet in the way, pull it out from underneath for this test.  Is the maximum height the same that you lift it to when it's heated up?  (The inlet valve is only open at the maximum up position for the lever.)

Heat it up, and as soon as pressure begins to build you can start lifting the lever to the max up position.  Have the portafilter in place with no coffee so it won't spray you with hot water.
luzhindefense

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 11:16am

Thanks.  I tried this and water did run through the group. I made another attempt filling the filter with coffee, and water did come into the head and coffee came through, but it just ran through the filter, it did not fill up so there was no pressure or water forced through when I pulled the lever back down.   Is this due to the grind not being fine enough, or not packed tight enough?

Thanks for your help!
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, '84 La Pavoni Pro,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario, La Pavoni PGC
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 4:46pm

luzhindefense Said:

Thanks.  I tried this and water did run through the group. I made another attempt filling the filter with coffee, and water did come into the head and coffee came through, but it just ran through the filter, it did not fill up so there was no pressure or water forced through when I pulled the lever back down.   Is this due to the grind not being fine enough, or not packed tight enough?

Posted July 11, 2013 link

Great progress.

From the description it sounds as if your grind isn't fine enough, not enough coffee or there isn't enough tamp to create back pressure.  Try grinding a bit finer, eventually you should hit a point where the water doesn't run through the grinds.  Many people prefer the grind to be fine enough that it will drip about 5-10 seconds after the lever is raised all the way up and held there.  If the grind is a little finer than that it's okay too.  Then a slow pull down should get you some espresso.

Tamp can be anything from the Orphan Espresso Slap Shot method that doesn't need a tamp, to leveling tamp common for lever users, and some people like to put full 30# or even 50# tamps on their lever espresso.  (Heavy tamping isn't necessary I think, but if it works for you and tastes good then it's right for you.)

From that point forward you'll have to adjust grind, pre-infuse time, temperatures, etc.  I'm just starting to learn on my La Pavoni Professional, so I'm not going to be a great source of knowledge in getting this right.

I will say that I don't like what I call a bottom and top tamp on my Pavoni.  If you slap the portafilter down to pack the coffee it makes a packed surface on the bottom of the puck, and I don't personally like how that works out with the crema extraction although I've had some decent results on flavor.  If you slap the portafilter and then tamp it on the top you now have a packed surface on the top and bottom of the puck, and I so far really don't like that.  So my recommendation is to either slap or tamp, but never both.  (I reserve the right to change my mind later though!)

Currently I'm using a little coarser grind than I would with a pump espresso machine.  (Barazta Vario 3,M-Q)  12.5 grams of coffee in the La Pavoni double basket for the old 49mm baskets.  Leveling tamp to keep it out of the group screen.  Pre-infuse 10-15 seconds and pull for 10-15+ seconds.  I want more quality to be sure, but that will come in time.  Right now if I need quality I fire up my NS Oscar.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Coffee not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216964960098)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+