Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
help with my cremina
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > help with my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dj2000lbs
dj2000lbs
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 10:26am
Subject: help with my cremina

I have a grounding problem with my cremina does anybody know whats wrong with my machine?

dj2000lbs: grounding problem 1.jpg
 View Profile Link to this post
dj2000lbs
dj2000lbs

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 10:27am
Subject: Re: help with my cremina

pic 2

dj2000lbs: grounding problem 2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
dj2000lbs
dj2000lbs

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 10:27am

pic 3

dj2000lbs: grounding problem 3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 11:32am

I am not sure what I am seeing.
Is this corrosion around the bottom of the boiler? Is it scale? How do you know there is a ground problem, is it shocking you?

It looks like the ground wire is connected to the chasis, as it should be. The white wire should go to the wide blade of the plug and the black wire should go to the narrow end of the plug.

Is your outlet wired correctly?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dj2000lbs
dj2000lbs

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 5:29pm

it looks and feels like battery corrosion or something along those lines....? Its coming from the ground wire I wondered the same thing myself about the ground in the outlet being wired correctly its plugged strait into the wall.... i've done 2 different outlets.. my building is from 1928

Idk I was thinking about buying the wiring kit from orphanespresso.com
im not sure what it needs... I can't get the screw unscrewed from the frame cause of the corrosion stuff...?
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 6:18pm

The stuff you're seeing on the outside of the boiler is just old calcium/lime scale that has built up from a very old, small leak that evaporates on the outside of the boiler. That probably isn't causing a grounding problem but might be a result of your safety-relief valve constantly relieving.
If your heating element is cracked, water gets into it and causes a short to ground. You'll see this as a constantly overheating issue if you're not plugged into a GFI outlet.  Or as a grounding issue if it is constantly blowing a GFI outlet.  This might be what you're talking about.

You can test the element by removing the two leads (With the machine unplugged). The element leads are the two wires coming up through the boiler end in that first picture.  (Not the thing with the red button, that's a high-limit thermostatic breaker).  With the leads disconnected, check the resistance through the element from one lead to the other with your ohm-meter set to it's fine setting (Probably max. 20 ohms)...  You should read something between 10 and 17 ohms through the element.  Then set the ohmeter to the coarsest setting (Up in the 200K ohms range) and make sure there's no conductivity at all between either element lead and the body of the boiler.  If there's any conductivity between element and boiler, that's your short-circuit.

If I'm completely off base, please re-describe your situation.  I may be barking up the wrong tree.  I am a little confused by the fact that your leak seems to be coming from that ground wire.  The hole it is screwed into is shallow. It doesn't go all the way through your boiler wall.  It might just be a good evaporation place to see the limescale build up from a leak elsewhere.
dj2000lbs
dj2000lbs

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 9:44am

I think you guys are right its probably from the boiler/coil.  I wish I had an ohmmeter to test I think i'll just go ahead in buy since I know mine is original from 1989 its probably time for replacement after 24 years.
drgary

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Baby Lusso Caravel Coffex...
Grinder: Pharos, Rio Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Heat Gun/Bread Machine,...
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 12:32am

To buy a coil without testing first is odd. These machines last forever. Also from your photo I can't tell whether the grey stuff underneath the new boiler insulation is asbestos. The boilers on some of the older Creminas were originally covered with that and it should be properly removed if it's still there. Otherwise the boilers can develop pin holes that can be sealed with a kind of Loctite. Before they're sealed you may see spots of limescale from the small leaks.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
uscfroadie
uscfroadie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP, BDB; owned...
Grinder: Forte, Zass and PeDe hand...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 6:01am

Looking at your pictures I have my theories.

1) At some point the machine was overheated (terminals are melted)
2) That overheating probably severely shortened the life of your thermal switch (one with the red reset button)
3) You need a new boiler gasket... the bottom of yours is/has been leaking
4) If the reast of your seals are in a similar condition to your boiler gasket, you should replace them all

While it could be a bad heating element, these RARELY go bad.  The thermal switch is there to die in order to save your heating element.  Wouldn't you rather spend $15 on a replacement part rather than $150?  I would.

Get a multi-meter before you buy ANYTHING!  Go to Orphanespresso's page and follow their troubleshooting guide found here.  It'll help you pinpoint the problem, and once you have, you can order the replacement parts you need.

If you aren't comfortable doing this yourself, they will rebuild the entire machine for you for a very reasonable price - which could end up being less than you'd spend on replacement parts you don't need.

Just My $.02
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > help with my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245759010315)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+