Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Recently Acquired 70's La Pavoni is Useless...I Need Help!
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Recently...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
apoloolopa

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 11:54am
Subject: Recently Acquired 70's La Pavoni is Useless...I Need Help!

Hello everyone!

I just bought a 76' La Pavoni off of eBay.  The seller stated that the machine worked perfectly fine, however, my experience has been the contrary...

Basically, when my pressure is high and I am ready to pull a shot, I raise the lever and when I reach the top, water literally gusges out of the machine. This happens whether I have a portafilter loaded or not. Instead of pre-infusing, the water simply escapes.

Also, the frother does not seem to be letting out enough pressure to foam milk..

Lastly, the safety valve sputters water and releases a ton of steam. None of thesr things look like any video I've seen of people pulling shots on this machine. I guess I was sold a lemon.. but I'd love to fix this thing up. Please, if anyone has any idea what the heck is happening, let me know!
 View Profile Link to this post
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:20pm
Subject: Re: Recently Acquired 70's La Pavoni is Useless...I Need Help!

Hi and welcome!

First off, congratulations on acquiring an awesome machine.  I have an earlier version.  These things are virtually bullet proof when properly cared for.  Your machine should have a low and high element and a 3 position switch (off, low element, high element). The high element is used to produce higher pressures for steaming.  The low element is used for brewing espresso.  Now, when raising the lever (with a machine up at pressure), water will be allowed to enter the brew chamber so it's normal to have water gush out when the portafilter is not in place. If water is gushing out with the portafilter locked in place and loaded with coffee, then you are not grinding fine enough and/or the coffee is stale.  You absolutely need an espresso capable grinder and FRESH coffee (that's less than 2 weeks old post roast!)
Confirm that both the low and high elements are working by checking that the machine heats up in both switch positions. Regarding the safety valve, it's there for safety and is supposed to open when a certain pressure (~1BAR) is reached, so it will get quite noisy and you should see quite a bit of steam when the high element is on.

P.S You can forget about using grocery store pre-ground coffee.  It will NOT do!
apoloolopa

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:42pm

Thanks for the awesome reply.  I know that once I figure this thing out, I'm gonna love the machine.  I love solid things and this definitely fits the bill.  I am using store ground coffee.  I used the finest setting on their machine. I have a burr grinder coming, but I thought getting some store ground would be sufficient for learning how to use the machine.  

I am now noticing a separate issue.  The water that is being expelled, even at the II level, is not very hot at all.  I can comfortably dip my finger into it.  The water in the water level indicator also does not appear to be boiling (not sure if its supposed to).  Despite this seemingly low temperature, that safety valve still steams away like it was a thermonuclear reactor!  I know that espresso is supposed to be prepared well above boiling temperature.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:50pm

apoloolopa Said:

Hello everyone!

I just bought a 76' La Pavoni off of eBay.  The seller stated that the machine worked perfectly fine, however, my experience has been the contrary...

Basically, when my pressure is high and I am ready to pull a shot, I raise the lever and when I reach the top, water literally gusges out of the machine. This happens whether I have a portafilter loaded or not. Instead of pre-infusing, the water simply escapes.

Also, the frother does not seem to be letting out enough pressure to foam milk..

Lastly, the safety valve sputters water and releases a ton of steam. None of thesr things look like any video I've seen of people pulling shots on this machine. I guess I was sold a lemon.. but I'd love to fix this thing up. Please, if anyone has any idea what the heck is happening, let me know!

Posted September 24, 2013 link

There could be other issues. Generally, when folks purchase a used machine, especially off ebay, it's recommended that you install new gaskets about everywhere. These are relatively inexpensive, and the entire job can be done in an hour or 2 tops. That should last for maybe 2 years, if your not abusing your machine.
You also need to open the steam valve when the brew light goes off, to relieve the "false pressure." (I'm not sure if this is necessary on these vintage pre Millennium Pavonis?)

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:55pm

Thermal management is very important on these machines and the group head must be at temperature, otherwise the water might come out quite cool, or too HOT! Your machine is different than mine as the group is steam heated. You must read the following thread which will explain a lot about your machine:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Basically, raising and lowering the lever when the machine is up to temp will expel air trapped in the group and steam will rush in.  You will feel the group go from cool to hot. This is quite different than my machine.
Espresso is not brewed above boiling.  It is brewed just below boiling, anywhere from 90-98 degrees Celsius, depending on the roast. The water sufficiently cools when travelling through the group and portafilter (at least it's supposed to), that's why thermal management by the user is very important.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Recently...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.200480937958)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+