Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Cremina to GS/3
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Cremina to GS/3  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
docdvm

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Giotto, Cremina
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Versalab
Drip: Bunn VP-17
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 10:41am
Subject: Cremina to GS/3

My espresso transition went from Sylvia/Rocky to Giotto/Mazzer Mini to Cremina /Versalab
I have settled on the Versalab as the absolute best grinder for my purpose
As for a lever the Cremina is great. Pulls a good to excellent expresso and so simple! Appreciate getting away from the complexity of the pump machines with their temp surfing, pressurestats, Conttrol boxes and pumps. All these can go wrong and make life so much more complex. With the Cremina servicing is simple. Can perform everything at home and the machine will last.
Now I always kept an eye out for a GS/3. You know I can get sold by the hype. So it is a worthwhile expense. I am not particularly happy with the steaming with the crmina nor pulling multiple shots which I would guess the GS/3 would do better. I am not sure that I won't regret giving up the Cremina but as the GS/3 is so expensive I would have to. Is it worth it?

Any thoughts from users?

BTW  With the Giotto I changed just about all the internals. Sirai, Control Box and pump. Learnt just how many things can go wrong. With the Cremina there just are so few complications....
 View Profile Link to this post
docdvm

Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 2:57am
Subject: Re: Cremina to GS/3

Took apart and cleaned and lubed the piston last night. Seals are still good and the job was so easy. That is truly what amazes me about pistons. They produce such great espresso yet are so simple. So unless you need to produce high volume what is wrong with just staying with a Cremina. Does one need to spend $5000 to produce a cup of espresso and have to deal with costly repairs every year. There are many satisfied owners of both machine so if you don't mind the expense I suppose it would be a pleasure to mod to Strada status and do pressure profiling, etc. But with the Cremina it is just about feel and results. Less technical and still quite satisfying.
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 8:13pm

It isn't worth giving up your Cremina for a GS/3, at least not purchased new for around $6000.  If you have to sell your Cremina to fund the GS/3, don't.  Buy any of the prosumer DBs that cost an entire Cremina less than the GS/3 and enjoy both.  You are not going to see $1500 to $3000 difference in you cup over a prosumer DB, and you will have given up a machine that is a joy to use and own.  If you want comparable shots with less small-machine-hassle and better steaming, get something like an L1, Strega, Bosco, Achille, or a Pompei.

My feeling currently is that the best home espresso machine is a Strega, probably the only machine that I have owned that I regret selling...and I sold it to help fund a GS/3.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 1:00pm

Cremina and Strega, have both for less money and have a bit of everything.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Lchesis

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 9:15am

I'm interested in selling my Cremina (from 1990). Hasn't been used in more than 10 years. Please reply if interested in details. All original parts except for baskets. I know that many out there will appreciate this machine and it should not just be sitting in a box! I have photos, etc so reply if interested.
docdvm

Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 6:02pm

I rarely find GS3 's available used so when I found a paddle version which is 2 months old and on warrantee for $1500 less than new and no tax (13%) I could not resist  have not sold the Cremina yet and if possible I won't but really the question will be whether playing with variables will be more enjoyable than manually pulling a shot. The other option was to buy a Bosco which I think can be matched at a better price with the Londinium. A spring lever is interesting to me but I just could not resist the temptation to have a saturated group like the Gs3  and precise control of the variables. True tha my beans and roast will change as I do like different SO coffee but I believe that the macine will be as consistent as my grinder which made the coffee experience far more enjoyable.

Truly the gs3 cost me about $1000 more than the Lomdinium once I paid customs, etc.
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 4:13am

congrats on your GS/3.  Now that you have it I would love to hear your impressions from the perspective of a Cremina owner.

I have an '86 Cremina 67 + HG One and I have it in my head that it can't get any better :)   I think there's a point of diminishing returns when it comes to espresso machines, but clearly you're buying the GS/3 for reasons beyond what ends up in the cup.
bezzieman

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:51am

My brother has a 1980 Cremina.
I think it is the best looking mavchine out there.Love it.
But pulling multiple shots in a row and having great steaming capacity is absolutely possible with a levermachine.
My Pompeii does it pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3DqUj7eMO0

But I,m sure the Gs3 is a  great machine also.
Have fun with it.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013, 2:33am

bezzieman Said:

My brother has a 1980 Cremina.
I think it is the best looking mavchine out there.Love it.
But pulling multiple shots in a row and having great steaming capacity is absolutely possible with a levermachine.
My Pompeii does it pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3DqUj7eMO0

But I,m sure the Gs3 is a  great machine also.
Have fun with it.

Posted November 28, 2013 link

On the Cremina, I can pull about 4 shots and steam milk before reaching 50% empty on the boiler.   Also, I found the steaming capability on the Cremina most excellent. It takes about 8 seconds to froth 6 oz of milk for each latte.
uscfroadie
uscfroadie

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP; owned BDB,...
Grinder: K30 Vario, Zass and PeDe...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013, 4:35am

z0mbie Said:

On the Cremina, I can pull about 4 shots and steam milk before reaching 50% empty on the boiler.   Also, I found the steaming capability on the Cremina most excellent. It takes about 8 seconds to froth 6 oz of milk for each latte.

Posted November 28, 2013 link

EIGHT seconds for 6 ounces?  Please make a video showing that along with your pour and tell us what boiler pressure and steam tip/wand you are using.  Neither of my Creminas came anywhere close to that, even when at 1.3 bar and with both the stock and new steam arm/tip.  A little over 20 seconds is more like it in my experience.

If you are seeing 8 seconds, someone modified your tip by enlarging the holes to greatly increase the flow.  With such a small boiler and 1000 watt heating element, too fast and you outrun the boiler's capability, which is why I asked for you to post a video.  I'd love to increase the speed of mine but think 20 seconds is as fast as it can go, and that's with the stock wand/tip.  The newer style is a little slower but easier to use.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Cremina to GS/3  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273595094681)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+