Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Caravel Help
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Caravel Help  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 1:43pm
Subject: Re: Caravel Help

SimonPatrice Said:

Even though, you'll probably get more taste definition with the Pharos (I'll soon find out), the Lido is totally suitable for espresso.  It does excel at coarser grinds but I can testify that the Lido+Caravel combo can make darn good shots.

Also, If you do just one single pull and no pre-infusion, what's the size of your shots?  And which basket are you using?  I ask because I have to do more than one pull (around 1 1/2) to get the ratio I want.  I start with 15g. in the double basket and adjust my pull(s) to get around 22-26g. depending one the coffee.  I've always wondered if there was a way to get a lower ratio than 90-100% with just one pull.

Posted December 8, 2013 link

Hey, thanks for chiming in. My Zass is no Pharos, but it also works well. My particular Zass excels at a finer zone than the Lido. It does very well with a fine-ish cone (1- 2 cups), and especially vac pot. The espresso grind comes out remarkably well in my $75 Zass. I sold my Rancilio because my Zass produces such great vac and espresso.

I think Cindy has the smallest basket, which is what I have. I use 10 - 11.9 grams, depending on the coffee.

clm Said:

My shots are really small - about 1/2 oz using about 10gms of beans.

Depends on crema volume. My 10 - 11.9 gram shots are .5 oz at the tightest end and .8 upward end. I usually pull a 12-gram shot from a 10-gram bed. Sometimes an 11.9-gram shot from an 11.9-gram bed.

clm Said:

Maybe espresso is a stand up drink....meant for bars not tables & chairs.

Ha ha! Ex-act-ly!

jpthibault Said:

If you want to try a finer grind, you also have lower the dose (or you're likely to choke, as you've seen). If you want to try a coarser grind, increase the dose (or it will gush).

Posted December 9, 2013 link

Key word--"likely"--as monsooned malabar demonstrates.

jpthibault Said:

A scale with 0.1g accurary is critical for this.

Posted December 9, 2013 link

Helpful, and while I usually use one, lots of experience and consistent method will do the trick.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
clm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: OE LIdo
Drip: Hario, Aeropress
Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 8:22pm

Boy, it's really humbling to realize that I missed something as obvious as dosing.  I do have the single basket, so I tried reducing dose to 9gms, a finer grind and pulled 2 shots.  The first was very nice with good crema, my second was bitter at .54 oz.  I guess I pulled the second too slowly, or didn't get my basket prep right, but I'm having fun working with more variables in my arsenal!  BTW, I'm using the American Weigh mini-scale recommended on the xmas list posting.
 View Profile Link to this post
clm

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 8:49pm

Ok, someone clue me in if it isn't swank to post again to a very old thread, but I'd love some new input on my learning curve.  My shots are decent, but I still seem stuck on one Lido setting.  I've tried adjusting dose & grind (although maybe by too small a measure) but I keep moving back to the one setting and 8.3grams of beans.  I still don't have a tamper, I'm using my fingers to tamp.  My shots tend to "drip, drip" out although sometimes I get a short steady stream.  What am I going for here?  Is the drip ok, or do I need to tweak it so that the shot pulls in a stream?
A new grinder isn't in my budget right now, but I'd love to have some input on how to improve my technique with what I've got.  Water is boiling hot now (the new 220v plug is fast!) - I always have some crema, although it can be on the thin side at times.  I store RedBird in small glass jars in the freezer.  I try not to rush the pull, if I stop just when I feel some resistance, in a few seconds the pull becomes much easier and the flow starts.  If I try to force through that spot, the back of the machine pops up.  I may have channeling going on - the puck is always on the wet side.
Thanks guys!
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 7:36am

Need to correct something from earlier up the thread. Every Caravel I've ever seen (and I own three, plus some spare parts), including the ones with the press-in, more or less permanent screens, have the flat, smooth side of the screen facing down/out, not up, as someone stated above.
clm

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 10:15am

Please confirm the "flat" side has the smaller holes, such that the side with the larger holes is facing inside the chamber.  How often do you replace the seals in your Caravel, or what other maintenance do you do?
GVDub

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 11:34am

I think of them as "smooth" side and "rough" side, as I don't believe the holes are actually tapered, but yes, the smooth side goes down in every machine I've ever seen. And judging by the fact that the earlier machines that have the screen press fit into place and not really removable are set up that way, only confirms that orientation as the correct one.

As far as maintenance goes, I'll pop the kettle pull the piston out and give it a good rinse once a week. Every 4-6 weeks, I'll pop the kettle, pull the piston, remove the seals from the cylinder walls on the type 2 construction one (haven't had my Type 1 long enough to have to do this yet) clean the kettle, piston and cylinder using Joe-Glo or Cafiza, replace and re-lube the seals. I'll replace the pf gasket about once a year or when it starts having problems.
clm

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 7:36am

How do you replace the PF gasket - I tried and it's really wedged in there.  Do you have to cut it out?  What lube do you use?
SimonPatrice

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Caravel
Grinder: Peugeot, Armin Trosser, OE...
Drip: Melitta, press pot, eva...
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:36pm

For the PF gasket, I delicately used a tiny flat screwdriver.  As for the lube, I use Dow111.

Hope this helps!
GVDub

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 1:33pm

Also Dow 111 (known in parts of the world as Molykote) and I'll use an awl to poke into and pull the gasket if I'm replacing it. or a thin-bladed screwdriver if I want to be able to reuse the gasket (cleaning but not replacement).
clm

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 9:05pm

Dow (the chemical co?) - I wonder if olive oil would work.  Patrice, did you ever get a Pharos?
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Caravel Help  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297106981277)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+