Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
New Olympia Cremina - am **I** crazy?!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > New Olympia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 4:36pm
Subject: New Olympia Cremina - am **I** crazy?!

Title says it all, I actually even called Cerini's yesterday to talk with them... but the person who had the details on the Cremina was not in... (thank goodness).

I have been looking on Ebay for a used Cremina for some time, but never pulled the trigger as I was always worried about the unknown.  I am very handy, have a very nice shop (wood) and mechanically inclined - so it is not the prospect of rebuilding that scares me.  It is more the time, and the fear of spending $500 to a $1000 and getting a machine that needs way more put into it due to misuse that is not obvious on the surface (like a damaged boiler, etc).

One thing I have noticed in my brief time on the hunt for a used Cremina, I have not really seen a semi-recent used one for sale.  Maybe that says something - but  why is that?  I cannot recall seeing any past early 90's.

Anyway, I am sure there some here that know more about these than I will ever... if you would be so kind to share with someone who wants to learn, it would be much appreciated!!! :-)

Am I crazy for even thinking of paying up for a new Cremina?
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 4:00am
Subject: Re: New Olympia Cremina - am **I** crazy?!

SpaceTime Said:

Title says it all, I actually even called Cerini's yesterday to talk with them... but the person who had the details on the Cremina was not in... (thank goodness).

I have been looking on Ebay for a used Cremina for some time, but never pulled the trigger as I was always worried about the unknown.  I am very handy, have a very nice shop (wood) and mechanically inclined - so it is not the prospect of rebuilding that scares me.  It is more the time, and the fear of spending $500 to a $1000 and getting a machine that needs way more put into it due to misuse that is not obvious on the surface (like a damaged boiler, etc).

One thing I have noticed in my brief time on the hunt for a used Cremina, I have not really seen a semi-recent used one for sale.  Maybe that says something - but  why is that?  I cannot recall seeing any past early 90's.

Anyway, I am sure there some here that know more about these than I will ever... if you would be so kind to share with someone who wants to learn, it would be much appreciated!!! :-)

Am I crazy for even thinking of paying up for a new Cremina?

Posted December 18, 2013 link

Not at all.  $3600 is a bargain for such a fine machine. Go for it! New is always nicer too.  No worries, peace of mind.   Better construction.  More modern production methods (look at those gorgeous tig welds!)..    With minimal care, these babies last FOREVER so might as well get the one you want.
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 6:07am

So someone calling themselves "wee bit nutty" is telling me I am not crazy?

:-)
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 7:43am

z0mbie Said:

Better construction.  More modern production methods (look at those gorgeous tig welds!)..  

Posted December 19, 2013 link

Thank you for the inputs - do you have any examples / details?
jmarcus
jmarcus
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 7:24pm

I'm having the same thoughts, although I'm not that worried about rebuilding a machine, wouldn't it be nice to just buy the machine you could potentially have for the next 20 or 30 years?

Tonight I was looking the Londonium and Strega, and those aren't really the machine I want, I love the simplicity of the Cremina.  

I currently have a La Cimbali Liberty.

Are there any other Olympia dealers besides the one you mentioned?

Olympia if you are reading this, $2k would be a no brainier purchase.

James
jmarcus
jmarcus
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 7:24pm

I'm having the same thoughts, although I'm not that worried about rebuilding a machine, wouldn't it be nice to just buy the machine you could potentially have for the next 20 or 30 years?

Tonight I was looking the Londonium and Strega, and those aren't really the machine I want, I love the simplicity of the Cremina.  

I currently have a La Cimbali Liberty.

Are there any other Olympia dealers besides the one you mentioned?

Olympia if you are reading this, $2k would be a no brainier purchase.

James
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 8:18pm

SpaceTime Said:

Thank you for the inputs - do you have any examples / details?

There's a nice forum post detailing the specifics of a late model Cremina model written by Doug Garrott of Orphan Espresso. Google it.
CHenry

Espresso: Olympia Express Maximatic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Type...
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 8:51pm

I don't fault your wish for a new machine. If you buy one, you will know it is the most evolved design of the Cremina, will be made with the stainless boiler, will have a gauge, a choice of colors, the newest finish (powdercoat) newest cabinet design and of course a warranty. It will have all of the things that make the older units popular still, but better.  There won't be any concern about asbestos lagging and all the electrics will be new.

The elegance and simplicity, and the fact that a relatively small (but incredibly sturdy) machine can make exceptional espresso. The footprint,  for a domestic setting, is close to perfect. And like all manual lever machines, it is extremely quiet.

(I have the latest Maximatic, FWIW.)
SpaceTime

Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 7:43am

jmarcus Said:

I looked hard at the Londinium also... that is a GREAT machine - problem I had was footprint - the depth 21 1/4 inches, making too deep for where I want to put it.  

Considering the Cremina is a diminutive 8x11, and the Londinium is 13 x 21 - that makes the Londinium 273 sq in, which is over THREE times more counter space.  In fact, the square inch foot print is more than some of the behemoth Semi Autos like the Duetto DB, Rocket DB, Vetrano DB.  Think about that for a minute... by the way, I did not see a weight listed on the Londinium website.  I probably don't want to know!
SpaceTime

Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 7:44am

z0mbie Said:

There's a nice forum post detailing the specifics of a late model Cremina model written by Doug Garrott of Orphan Espresso. Google it.

Yes, saw that a long while ago, thanks.  It is one of the first things that come up when you start on the search.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > New Olympia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295886039734)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+