Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Feedback on my technique please
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Feedback on my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
frankward
frankward
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional Gold,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, OE Pharos
Drip: Hario, Chemex
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013, 9:23am
Subject: Re: Feedback on my technique please

There are so many good suggestions on this thread. I'll suggest a $10 Polder thermometer with a thick rubber band to hold it onto the group head. It doesn't matter how accurate the temperature is as long as it is consistent. You want to know what temp. works best. I like the first shot in the 180 degrees F. The next shot is in the early 190s -- that is often the best. Once the temp nears 200 there is a danger of too much steam resulting in a cough when you release the porta filter.

Another suggestion is to get a bottomless portafilter. The conversion of your existing filter might cost you $20 to 40 bucks. The crotchless basket holder gives you so much information on the status of your puck and pull. I didn't get great espresso from my PPG Millenium until I could see that my puck was channelling and I needed to change my technique to even the pressure with better tamping. Now I can control my pull to maintain a perfect cone of espresso into the cup.

Enjoy.
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 5:45am

Perhaps I can jump onto this thread in the spirit that the OP created instead of starting a whole new thread.

This is the first week with my premillenial Europiccola 8 after learning basic respect for tamping, temperature and freshness from a Mypressi for three years.  The shots have quickly become acceptable, but no better than that, for the most part.  Specifically, I am having trouble with my pulls.

The basic setup is a stock LP 49mm double basket, stock portafilter, a Compak K-10, quality beans ground by day 17 or frozen and ground by post-thaw day 7.  The LP 8 cup has been improved with an added pressure gauge, thankfully.

Being at the beginning of the learning curve and I can see that there is a lot to learn about the temperature physics of the Europiccola it requires a balancing act between consistency and making measured and informed changes based upon experience.  My typical procedures have been to fill the basket with 11 gm.  The grind is both sieved and WDT to try to minimize the occurrence of channeling, since I am infusing blindly.  The group and PF are flushed with perhaps oz to bring them up to temp once the gauge needle rises a bit off of the stop.  The basket is locked in and the two-position switched is toggled for the target pressure.  

This post is edited to reflect changing experience.  A great deal of thanks is due to meastway for his 2011 post on HB.  I now can 'see' that the water opening into the group is near the top of the piston excursion and too large a fellini move downward would tend to block this hole and any subsequent upward motion of the lever would suck air up through the puck, messing with it.  Having realized this and having abandoned all but the slightest of fellini moves at the very top of the lever travel, I am still seeing a burbling of the infusion stream toward the end of the downward excursion, suggesting to me that there is still considerable air between the puck and the piston. I have not 'coin-measured' the clearance between the puck and the screen, but there is a mess of gorunds on it afterward with 12 gm and just a dusting on the screen (with most residue in the recess around the screen) with 11 gm, so I stay with 11 gm.  Total shot volume is 1 3/4 oz when air does not come out at the end and about 1 1/2 oz. with air.

I still wait for the sound/feel of water to finish filling the group before infusing.  So where is the air coming from?

Buckley
rosscova
rosscova

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola...
Grinder: Compak K3
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 3:37pm

First, thank you all very much for a lot of very useful feedback. I've been coming back to this thread to repeatedly read each poster's tips, and am getting happier with my results. I have a proper tamper now, and have also fitted a thermometer to my Pav. Just today I've also added a temp-tag to my milk jug for a little more consistency there as well :)

I've been targeting group temps of around 85C before pulling my shots, and this has made a huge difference to the consistency of my shots. I haven't started experimenting with different temperatures, but am interested to see what changes the temperature can bring.

I have also taken on the suggestion of weebit_nutty to froth the milk after pulling the shot, and I think this has made all the difference to the texture as I pour. I've actually started getting some pretty nice art once in a while! Thank you!

@ Buckley, thanks for keeping the thread going :)... The one thing I'd say is that it sounds like you haven't quite gotten the grind right yet. I'm using a Compak K3 grinder, and find that very slight adjustments can make a big difference when pulling the shot. Half a notch too far to either side and I know I've gotten it wrong once I start pulling the lever on the Pav. When you're getting drips out the porta-filter with just the boiler pressure (no pressure on the lever yet) you definitely haven't ground fine enough (assuming you're tamping properly). I aim for drips to come through after a few seconds with just a little pressure, and then to get a good flow (forming droplets around half-way down as it falls into the cup) with fairly strong force on the lever. The kind of force I usually apply is probably just a little stronger than the 30lb recommended tamping pressure.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 5:51am
Subject: Re: Feedback on my (Fellini) technique please

A good espresso is like a jigsaw puzzle.  There are many interlocking pieces and, once they are in place, its no longer a puzzle.

Thank you, rosscova, for the advice which I will try.  It still remains for me to discover why I am getting air at the end of my infusion (please refer to the post two above).

Buckley
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Feedback on my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.375284910202)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+