Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Elektra MCAL best practices
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Elektra MCAL...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
espressonewb1

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli Mdx
Drip: Technivorm Mocca Master
Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 7:08pm
Subject: Elektra MCAL best practices

Hello CG community.

I recently picked up a great used Elektra MCAL via TonyV. I was able to trade my Olympia Maximatic/grinder for this great looking machine and hopefully with experience and some skill I'll be able to pull great shots on it.

My first attempt at pulling shots were disastrous since I didn't tighten the portafilter all the way in. Baptism by fire. I'll never make that mistake again.

I've only had the machine a few days but am liking the more nuanced instead of blended taste as opposed to my Mini Vivaldi.

I have a few basic questions:

(1) I'm dosing 14 g of Black Cat roasted on 12/27. Tamping very lightly. When I pull the lever I waited a few seconds. First time I waited 10 seconds no drops. Subsequent times I waited about 6-7 seconds for pre-infusion and still no drops. I did make the grind coarser. I'm using a Nuova Simonelli MDX. Maybe I'll try a another notch coarser but does one always see drops on pre-infusion?

(2)Is it ok for the coffee grinds to appear on the dispersion screen after the shot is pulled?

(3) Based on seeing the coffee grinds on the screen after the shot was pulled I decided to use 13.5g and the screen was clean after the pull. Just wondering what everyone is doing in this regard.

(4) I tried the second pull when the lever was parallel (per Mark Prince's excellent review) but this shot turned out watery. More like an americano in a demitasse is the best way I can describe it.

(5) I'm a little apprehensive of choking this machine based on my experience with my very first pull. Although I didn't make certain the portafilter was locked in place very well I noticed a disclaimer on 1st line's site which indicated that if one grinds too fine it could cause the portafilter to detach from the group. Is there a way to relieve pressure by bring down the lever again but not all the way?

(6) Would a bottomless portafilter on this machine dramatically increase the crema production? Does it really matter? I think I want to invest in a RIchard Penney PF so that I can diagnose any channeling issues.

I'm getting good tasting shots but obviously not with as much crema/thickness.

Just wondering what everyone else who has this machine or a similar spring machine is doing.

For now I'm just practicing using a single pull.

Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 4:47pm
Subject: Re: Elektra MCAL best practices

There's a good chance that the MCAL will wind up as your long-time main machine if you are just using it for your own espresso. It shouldn't take you too long to get it dialed in.

(1) I'm dosing 14 g of Black Cat roasted on 12/27. Tamping very lightly. When I pull the lever I waited a few seconds. First time I waited 10 seconds no drops. Subsequent times I waited about 6-7 seconds for pre-infusion and still no drops. I did make the grind coarser. I'm using a Nuova Simonelli MDX. Maybe I'll try a another notch coarser but does one always see drops on pre-infusion?

>> I grind fine for my ristretto, but I'm used to seeing drops at the 9 to 11 second range. If you don't see anything coming through, your cup will (eventually) emerge as over-extracted. If you are looking for regular espresso, you should see drops in six seconds or so. You're on the right track by grinding coarser.

(2)Is it ok for the coffee grinds to appear on the dispersion screen after the shot is pulled?

>> Yes, since you're using a light tamp, you can expect them. I always do a quick wipe of the screen before my next cup.

(3) Based on seeing the coffee grinds on the screen after the shot was pulled I decided to use 13.5g and the screen was clean after the pull. Just wondering what everyone is doing in this regard.

>> I'm using the single basket and 9 grams and sometimes have grinds on the screen, sometimes not. I wouldn't worry about it. Pay attention to the taste of the final product to make your adjustments. Also - very important - take the time to let the MCAL warm up properly. I typically wait about eight minutes, at which I bleed off some of the boiler pressure, and then I wait about ten more minutes before pulling a couple of shots with an empty portafilter in order to get a little more heat to that. Then I pull my first real shot (which is seldom a sink shot, but which could usually stand a slight tweak on the grind).

(4) I tried the second pull when the lever was parallel (per Mark Prince's excellent review) but this shot turned out watery. More like an americano in a demitasse is the best way I can describe it.

>> I just use the single pull, perhaps somebody else can give you more feedback in this area.

(5) I'm a little apprehensive of choking this machine based on my experience with my very first pull. Although I didn't make certain the portafilter was locked in place very well I noticed a disclaimer on 1st line's site which indicated that if one grinds too fine it could case the portafilter to detach from the group. Is there a way to relieve pressure by bring down the lever again but not all the way?

> It is possible to relieve pressure by pulling the lever down slightly and slightly loosening the portafilter. You won't want to drink the result, but it shouldn't wind up painting the walls. 1st line must have hyperactive lawyers. If the portafilter is locked in place properly, the force generated by the spring isn't sufficient to dislodge it.

(6) Would a bottomless portafilter on this machine dramatically increase the crema production? Does it really matter? I think I want to invest in a RIchard Penney PF so that I can diagnose any channeling issues.

>> Bottomless PF's are fun (and can be a bit messy), but I've never been troubled by the amount of crema that I'm generating. I get more crema from the LaMarzoco Linea at work, but I'm looking for taste in the coffee, not the thin foam on top.

I'm getting good tasting shots but obviously not with as much crema/thickness.

>> Mouthfeel is usually connected with the beans and roast, not the crema.

Just wondering what everyone else who has this machine or a similar spring machine is doing.

For now I'm just practicing using a single pull.

>>That's what I do, and I'm extremely pleased with the result. In a few weeks, I'm certain that you will feel the same way about your MCAL.

All the best,

JB
espressonewb1

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli Mdx
Drip: Technivorm Mocca Master
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 11:53am

Thanks JB for taking the time to reply to all of my questions. Appreciate it.

I wasn't making myself clear on the pre-infusion. When I would hold down the lever to let water into the chamber to pre-infuse I was thinking that I should see some drops per Mark Prince's review but this shouldn't always be the case. Immediately when I let go of the lever and let the spring do it's job I would see flow through the spouts of the portafilter.

I was pre infusing way too long.

So now I only hold the lever down for about 5-6 seconds for pre-infusion and then add to the count for the lever to go up. I'm pulling about 30 ml in 25 seconds.

When I was holding it down too long for 10 seconds and grinding courser the total time was about 18-19 seconds total. No wonder I was getting nice watery coffee.

Now that I've been playing around with the elektra I've been wanting to get another lever machine namely the cremina. I like the elektra and probably won't get rid of it anytime soon but want to try the cremina as well just because it gives you more variability.
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 7:23pm

Before you drop major dollars on a Cremina, think about getting a La Pavoni Europiccola. You'll have the same full manual control you do with the Cremina and you will be able to understand the difference between the spring and manual mechanisms and their effect on pulling shots while keeping a few extra dollars in your pocket.

Disclaimer -

I gave my Europiccola to my daughter and kept the MCAL.

JB
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Elektra MCAL...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.167453050613)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+