Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Double pull on MCAL invariably destroys the puck.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Double pull on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Pendel
Pendel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL & Cremina
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 6:00am
Subject: Double pull on MCAL invariably destroys the puck.

I am an eager lever machine newbie with a new to me 2010 Electra MCAL and Macap M4 grinder.
I have been using 13-16 gm (digital scale measured) of coffee in a double MCAL basket with a bottomless Penney portafilter.
I have tried several coffee varieties, including Bali (blue moon) and Espresso Blend (dark and oily, so only tried a couple of shots) from Fair Mountain; Espresso Classico, Espresso Nuevo and Mexico Santa Teresa Espresso SO from Paradise; all tamped from very light to 30 lbs with a US curve 49.4 mm tamper.
Tried various grind fineness as well.
No matter what I do, the second pull of the lever destroys the puck and gushes/spews coffee, often in all kinds of directions out of the (bottom) of the portafilter.
I tried the second full pull, half pull, even a third-of-a-pull, starting at various stages of the first pull release.
Can't seem to get this second pull technique to work.
Would those of you who have mastered a double on MCAL please, please, please enlighten me on how to "pull this off" properly?

Cheers and thanks!

:-)
 View Profile Link to this post
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 7:44am
Subject: Re: Double pull on MCAL invariably destroys the puck.

I don't have an MCAL, but on my manual La Pavoni I find it better to do a straight pull without double or half pulls.  I start off with some mini pumps until the lever is firm - no air vapor at the top of the piston, then just pull.  Sometimes I give a partial manual infusion until the first drips and then up with the lever to refill, but truth be told the straight pull is better in my opinion.

It's not always about volume, especially with these smaller lever baskets.  Some people still like the double pulls and there's nothing wrong with that either if you can get it to work.
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 1:53am

I never understood how this works.. Maybe someone could explain to me how it *doesn't* destroy the puck?

Logic dictates that if you push up on the lever after a significant volume of water in the group has been displaced by the piston, you will generate negative pressure in the chamber, sucking espresso (and air) back up through the puck.. Wouldn't this invariably unseat it and/or cause it to deform in the process?  I imagine the seal of puck is also degraded, allowing water to channel through on the second pull.

I have done a bit of this when I apply pressure during preinfusion.. But it is only to speed up saturation and not much water is actually displaced so the piston doesn't actually lower much further in its previous resting pressure, so lifting it up doesn't produce much negative pressure before the fill hole is uncovered and more water enters the group chamber.
Pendel
Pendel

Espresso: MCAL & Cremina
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 4:34pm

z0mbie Said:

I never understood how this works.. Maybe someone could explain to me how it *doesn't* destroy the puck?

Logic dictates that if you push up on the lever after a significant volume of water in the group has been displaced by the piston, you will generate negative pressure in the chamber, sucking espresso (and air) back up through the puck.. Wouldn't this invariably unseat it and/or cause it to deform in the process?  I imagine the seal of puck is also degraded, allowing water to channel through on the second pull.

I have done a bit of this when I apply pressure during preinfusion.. But it is only to speed up saturation and not much water is actually displaced so the piston doesn't actually lower much further in its previous resting pressure, so lifting it up doesn't produce much negative pressure before the fill hole is uncovered and more water enters the group chamber.

Posted February 15, 2014 link

See, that makes sense to me too, even though the manual for MCAL does talk about double pulls. I did learn to make little pre-infusion pumps, and these seem to help, but I do want a larger volume for my doubles.
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:46pm

How many fluid oz can your MCAL produce in a single pre-infusion+pull?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Double pull on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20743894577)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+