Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Single hole tip for Pavoni Professional
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Single hole tip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dougiedd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:00pm
Subject: Single hole tip for Pavoni Professional

I got tired of using the original three hole plugged with tooth picks so I bought an orphanesppreso single hole.
Now everything I have read suggests that the steam can be wide open but my experience with the smaller toroid pitcher I get way too much force and speed with this ....
and it seems very sensitive to how much I open up the steam valve.
I am wondering if a smaller hole tip would be better, or is it purely my technique, or should the  valve indeed not be open full bore?

TIA for any advice
 View Profile Link to this post
seanconnery

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni
Grinder: HG-One
Vac Pot: What kind of pot?
Roaster: Westbend
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 5:34pm
Subject: Re: Single hole tip for Pavoni Professional

Switched form 3-hole to 1-hole. Foams beautifully. Pick one up on eBay for $6-8.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 6:34am

The La Pavoni doesn't have much steam pressure, so a one hole tip works very well for concentrating that power into a stream that will swirl the milk in the pitcher, pull in the air needed for stretching and still transfer enough heat to the milk.  Opening the steam wand all the way is the best in my limited experience - but that doesn't mean all the turns.  Put water in a steaming pitcher, steam tip in the water and open the valve until the steam pressure is at max - for me about 5 x half turns.  That's your full open valve position, and as far as you need to spin the knob when steaming.

While I did okay with the 3 hole tip, I probably didn't give it enough chance as many people are able to do well with it.  I think it would work best for smaller cappuccino volumes of 1/2 cup cold milk rather than my wife's larger latte.  

Switching to a single hole tip and a couple months of daily steaming I found how to swirl the milk in my pitchers and build the foam into the best I've ever done.  Glossy, rich, moist foam that rode the line between a foam and a liquid.  Cappuccino's like that don't make it to the table in this house and generally get inhaled in front of the machine.

My NS Oscar has much more steaming power, but I haven't yet mastered it to the level of the La Pavoni and a single hole tip.  The Orphan Espresso tip should work quite well per reports.
dougiedd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 8:34am

that agrees with everything i have read but for me the single hole when open full makes the milk heat up too fast relative to stretching the milk (the milk gets to 160 well before I have been able to stretch sufficiently). It seems to have LOTs of power, More than likely this is still technique...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Single hole tip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.168714046478)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+