Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Caravel Help
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Caravel Help  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 9:12pm
Subject: Re: Caravel Help

clm Said:

Dow (the chemical co?) - I wonder if olive oil would work.  Patrice, did you ever get a Pharos?

Posted February 23, 2014 link

Only if you like olive oil flavored coffee and don't mind lubing every day or two.

Don't like Dow as a company? Look for another silicone-based food-safe high-temperature lubricant from another company. Don't like chemicals? Then you're living in the wrong universe - everything here is made of chemicals.
 View Profile Link to this post
clm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: OE LIdo
Drip: Hario, Aeropress
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 9:46am

I see you roast your own beans - any recommendations on an espresso blend?  Looking for another option to redbird.

As for the chemical lube alternative....quoted from Wikipedia below:  

"Lubrication
Early in the development of steam-driven piston engines, the hot vapors and liquids washed away most lubricants very quickly. It was soon found that tallow was quite resistant to this washing. Tallow and compounds including tallow were widely used to lubricate locomotive and steamship engines at least until the 1950s. (During WWII, the vast fleets of steam-powered ships exhausted the supply, leading to the large-scale planting of rapeseed because rapeseed oil also resisted the washing effect.) Tallow is still used in the steel rolling industry to provide the required lubrication as the sheet steel is compressed through the steel rollers. There is a trend toward replacing tallow-based lubrication with synthetic oils in rolling applications for surface cleanliness reasons......"
GVDub

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:22am

Tallow and lard both make excellent lubricants, as does whale oil. But they are not flavorless (I love lard biscuits and pie crust, but I draw the line at lard-flavored coffee), and they wash away much faster than modern silicone-based lubricants. Reiss Gunson from Londinium has a silicone lubricant with PTFE added, so it offers some dry lube capability as well. NSF rated high-temp lubes are a whole area for exploration.

I do a lot of single origin (got an excellent sun-dried Tanzanian Mbosi that's making a superb SO espresso right now), but recently I've enjoyed the Motorcycle Diaries espresso from Cafe Demitasse, Belle Espresso from Klatch, and was very pleasantly surprised by the Fattobenne blend that 1st Line Equipment is selling (a classic Italian style, but not a super-dark roast - just a little way into second crack. Never tried Redbird, so I can't say where they sit in relation to its flavor profile. Suppose I should order some so i know what its like.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 11:29am

GVDub Said:

Tallow and lard both make excellent lubricants, as does whale oil. But they are not flavorless…

Never tried Redbird, so I can't say where they sit in relation to its flavor profile. Suppose I should order some so i know what its like.

Posted February 24, 2014 link

I can just hear it now… "Mmmm… this Redbird ristretto shot pulled at 201F has a great bittersweet dark chocolate and blackberry jam tone underlying the tallow! Yummy! :-)

There's a reason we use Dow 111. See this post on H-B:

I've tried only 3 other lubricants- olive oil, a mineral oil lube and a teflon zinc oxide lube- and none other than the Dow 111 lubricates as well, sticks as well or resists washing out on my Cremina. So, not only is Dow 111 rated higher for food contact it also works better than anything else I've tried. Personally I would do what I could to find some Dow 111. It shouldn't be that hard to find.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SimonPatrice

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Caravel
Grinder: Peugeot, Armin Trosser, OE...
Drip: Melitta, press pot, eva...
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:26pm

clm Said:

Dow (the chemical co?) - I wonder if olive oil would work.  Patrice, did you ever get a Pharos?

Posted February 23, 2014 link

Well, yes I did!  After a short period of getting to know each other, I'm really enjoying it.  I can make more precise adjustments than on the Lido as the espresso range is wider and the shots taste even better.

Also, after months of 15g in, around 24g out (pre-infusion+ 1 1/2 pull), I'm really enjoying my 12gin 16g out single pull shots.
clm

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 3:21pm

Trying to get out my PF gasket is a nightmare, on the order of changing a bicycle tire - I feel like I need a set of levers to get the thing out.  I'd hoped I could salvage it by using a tiny flat screwdriver, so I purchased a set of precision screwdrivers, but they're not helping.  I'm destroying the gasket as I go, but I still can't get it out!  It's really frustrating - just when I get some leverage and think it's about to pop out of there, it pushes itself back in.  I'm hoping this is because the gasket is old and needs replacing - maybe the newer one will be more pliable.  I bought the machine from Francesco and he did include a set of gaskets.  If I can ever get the thing out, I sure hope the new one fits - where do you buy your gaskets just in case I tear them all up?
clm

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 5:28pm

Ok, just to be perfectly clear on this....reassembling the machine now....when you say the smooth side "down" do you mean that the smooth side (what I call small holes) should be facing the coffee basket and the "rougher" side should be facing the piston chamber?  I took the screen and blew it out with water creating a huge mess in my kitchen, but it was interesting.  When water flows though with the smooth side facing up, the shower is really fine, with the smooth side down, the shower is more scattered.  The screen probably serves 2 functions - one would be to spray the coffee evenly, the other to prevent coffee grinds from filtering up into the piston chamber.  The later would better explain why the smooth side would face the coffee grinds (down), but it would also be interesting to see how the finer shower spray might pull a shot.  I blew out the screen with some compressed air - there were some grinds stuck in there.  I don't have any Dow 111, or other lube.
GVDub

Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 2:36pm

I've got two kettles with fixed (non-removable screens) and that's the way the screens are on both. Both the removable screen Arrarex Caravel and the Zerowatt CA709 Caravel Ursula came with the screens installed that way as well, and the Zerowatt was essentially new in the box.
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:35pm

For those interested, new elements now available for a great price. I will finally convert my Caravel to 110! Also, checkout their Caravel tamper.

Click Here (www.cafelatstore.com)

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
clm

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 9:20pm

I'd be curious to know how hard it is to rewire the Caravel to 110.  I opted to install a 220V plug instead.  Would it be prudent to buy a spare element?  I noticed that the bottom of my kettle is somewhat scorched, not terribly, but marks are visible.  Their Caravel tamper looks a lot like the OE tamper for Caravels.  I wonder if that 8mm silicone gasket would fit the Caravel.  I had a hard time replacing my PF gasket, and it began a slow leak after that effort, but today I did a backflush and that (hopefully) cleared up the problem.  I sure love that morning espresso....
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Caravel Help  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263859987259)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+