Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
A new wall-mount, lever espresso machine? Strietman?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > A new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 2:37pm
Subject: A new wall-mount, lever espresso machine? Strietman?

Saw this today on Gizmodo.

Strietman ES3 Lever Espresso Machine

It's a direct lever system, Euro power only at the moment, and well... it looks really cool at first thought, but upon closer inspection, seems quite janky to me... and it's all about the lever. Look at how it is designed, how it pushes through the whole open boiler? The angle of the arm. The fittings. Just visually, it doesn't seem like it would stand up to years of use.

But this is all on a first glance. What do you folks think?

Mark

MarkPrince: wallespresso.jpg
(Click for larger image)

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 2:45pm
Subject: Re: A new wall-mount, lever espresso machine? Strietman?

I've seen a couple of early test videos, and it looks very interesting.  Also not sure how sturdy a design this is, so I do have questions about longevity.

Sure looks pretty though, and if you mount it on the wall even non-functional it would start some conversations.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 3:20pm

Cool looking, though can't help but think if you end up getting squirts on your wall lol
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 4:29pm

Also of note the Streiman machines have been lightly covered over at H-B since 2011.  Not much coverage, but a little bit.

There has been an ES1 & ES2 model also along the development trail.
ES1:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
ES2:

I found a demo of the ES2:
http://vimeo.com/42151006

They've been working on this platform for a little while, so hopefully they are making advancements in their design.  It's certainly simple in appearance and operation.

CMIN Said:

Cool looking, though can't help but think if you end up getting squirts on your wall lol

Posted May 15, 2014 link

That's called modern cafe art!  Increase the value of your wall with a little spritzing of espresso.
MarkPrince

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 4:41pm

DanoM Said:

Also of note the Streiman machines have been lightly covered over at H-B since 2011.  Not much coverage, but a little bit.

There has been an ES1 & ES2 model also along the development trail.
ES1:
ES2:

Posted May 15, 2014 link

Good stuff.

Hopefully we'll be able to continue some discussion here on CG as well. I'd prefer if this didn't happen. ;)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 4:46pm

DanoM Said:

I found a demo of the ES2:
http://vimeo.com/42151006

They've been working on this platform for a little while, so hopefully they are making advancements in their design.  It's certainly simple in appearance and operation.

Posted May 15, 2014 link

The thing I think I like the most about this machine (in the vimeo vid) is the super sleek chopped portafilter design. It's not really practical (are you going to tamp 30lbs with the bottom of the actual filter basket sitting on your table / bench / messy work area?) but sure does look super sweet.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
MarkPrince

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 4:52pm

I guess these were for sale for a while (the ES2 version at least). I found this blog post entry via google search.

Nwahli's ES2

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 4:58pm

The open kettle design was the first thing that I noticed.  Since the La Peppina was my first lever espresso machine, I have a certain fondness for the simplicity and thermal stability of an open kettle design.  Tamping with the filter basket resting on your tamping surface doesn't bother me too much, I use a hockey puck to tamp on and either tamp the coffee in the basket or in the naked portafilter, either way I make sure that the hockey puck is cleaned off beforehand.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
Bostonbuzz

Grinder: Pharos
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 12:35pm

I've had one for a couple of years, so they hold up! Nothing structural on it that isn't made out of aluminum, SS, brass or wood. Wouter is clearly committed to this project since he's taken some suggestions to heart and continually improved the machine. For example, changing the dispersion screen and upgrading the temperature stability on the ES3 model - not to mention the nice new mount.

I love mine (have a big thread on HB about it). Took some getting used to, the entire prep is done with the basket in hand rather than in the portafilter. Yes, you have to tamp with it on the table, but your table doesn't have to be dirty. It's a simple, stripped down espresso basics machine. The simplicity and structural beauty remind me of certain other classic product designs as well. Of course, it's not for everyone ;).
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 2:04pm

Mark, some of us lever geeks have been following Wouter's machine since the beginning. He seems like a very nice guy, totally committed, and obviously his design in many ways is a tribute to the classic "kettle" style machines such as the Arrarex Caravel.
I'd guess it's well over 2, towards 3 years he's been refining this machine, though I have no doubt the machine BostonBuzz proudly owns produces coffee every bit as good as the newest iteration.

I believe the retail is around $1700.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > A new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260406970978)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+