Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Caravel, no espresso
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Caravel, no...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
clm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: OE LIdo
Drip: Hario, Aeropress
Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 8:21pm
Subject: Caravel, no espresso

crisis! my caravel just crapped out on me!  I cleaned it, reassembled and now the power light or element won't come on.  Is there a way to test the wiring to see if I have a short?  I don't have a volt meter, but I do have a little gadget you stick in an outlet and it lights up if the wiring is "hot".  I had a new 220V outlet installed and a new plug (original wouldn't fit out 220 outlet) adapted by an electrician.  It's worked fine for almost a year.  I think if it were the element, the power light would still come on, but the element wouldn't get hot?  Is there a reset button, and what is the function of the power button when you "push" on it vs turning it right or left?
 View Profile Link to this post
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014, 5:41am
Subject: Re: Caravel, no espresso

If you're going to work on your own machine, get a voltmeter/multimeter. They're not expensive. Your little circuit tester is probably rated for 110 volts only.
clm

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014, 5:26pm

I talked to my electrician and my 220v breaker tripped.  He thinks the heating element in the Caravel is going out, which caused the GFCI to trip.  Any one else experience something similar when the heating element starts to go bad?
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014, 10:35am

Quickest way to know is to pick up that cheap little multimeter at your local True Value. Set it to read resistance (Ohms) and check between the terminals of the disconnected heating element. A reading of zero means a short, which would blow a breaker. A reading of infinity means a open circuit, which means no current flow, no heat. A reading of greater than zero but less than infinity means the element should be working and you need to look elsewhere for the problem.
CWWang

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel. La Peppina....
Grinder: La San Marco SM91
Posted Mon Jun 30, 2014, 7:21pm

What is the "power button" you talk about? The small one on the back top or the big one on the back bottom?
Click Here (www.francescoceccarelli.eu)

The big one won't affect when you push it. But the small one on the top will stop heating when you push it. If you want to make the thermostat is not the reason stopping the heat, turn the big one clockwise and turn the small one counterclockwise.

Good luck
clm

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014, 12:17pm

thx everyone for your replies.  I was able to fix my Caravel with some help from Francesco and his post, which I hope will help others in a similar fix.  If the link doesn't work, try searching his website for how to repair a short in the heating element, or contact him directly.

Click Here (www.francescoceccarelli.eu)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Caravel, no...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.181236028671)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+